Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,207,169 times

Advertisements

Bridgeport is generally a safe, mostly middle-class neighborhood but it looks like another poster was just robbed at gun point about a block from my house the other night. I've been there 30 years and have had my garage broken into once.

You are really going to have to reign in your expectations if you are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood, over 1300 sq ft, under $1k per month and along the el. 3 bedroom apartments aren't all that common so there is a premium on them, even in less desirable neighborhoods.

Generally neighborhoods in large cities that aren't densely populated are pretty dangerous. I'm not too familiar with that specific area around Carroll and Kedzie but I'd try to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,223,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental View Post
Also, is East Garfield as unsafe in the really industrial areas like Carroll at Kedzie. You know the areas that are all warehouses with almost no one around. Perhaps they are more dangerous?
Yeah, that area is not safe.

Like the others have said, you'll have to live in an unsavory neighborhood for that price. Keep on looking at Pilsen and Little Village; something is bound to pop up.

If you haven't noticed already, "large" isn't exactly common in Chicago.

I'm not sure if you're saying 1300 SF isn't good enough for you, but that is considered massive by Chicago standards. Most 1 br's are anywhere from 550-700 sq feet, and you've gotten lucky if you found a 2 br around 1000 sq/ft.

Some of the only "large" places I've seen are rehabs or condos that are 1500 sq or more.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM

51 posts, read 107,023 times
Hi,
Is Western and Madison a safe place, especially on the east side of Western. I know its dangerous near Harrison and Western, but what about Madison and Western. If it's not the picture of safety how unsafe is it. Can I walk to the EL stop at night and so on?

The place I need should be at least 1200 sf (real sf not realtor sf). I wish my needs were less large, but this is how it has to be for me. I've had such bad luck in Pilsen. It would be nice, and I saw a great former store that would have been perfect if it wasn't already taken, unknown to the person showing it. Lately my Pilsen luck has been very bad. The signs never seem to produce much now, and I am tired of sign hunting. My friends can always find big cheap places, but I haven't, and I need it this time. If I must go to a not 100% neighborhood maybe I can find a corner just safe enough to do basics, and get in and out. I don't know, it's all been very hard. Untill I find a place I may need to keep asking about certain areas.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Quote:
...Is Western and Madison a safe place, especially on the east side of Western. I know its dangerous near Harrison and Western, but what about Madison and Western...
Are you sure you are from Chicago?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 AM

How Bad or Good is: S. Lawndale Av at W. 23rd St near Shedd Park? Is this Little Village or Lawndale? Is this better or worse than Western and Madison?
Thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM

I've lived here a while, but I am only familiar with a handful of neighborhoods, and they have not born fruit.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Quote:
I've lived here a while, but I am only familiar with a handful of neighborhoods, and they have not born fruit.
Forget about Western and Madison or Western and Harrison.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:07 PM

504 posts, read 1,485,504 times
Quote:
Also, what are the rules regarding these spaces. The work I'll be doing is artwork, but one landlord in an email said if I could live in his space mattered on what type of artwork I was doing? Why would it matter? Work is work. Do I need to be doing more industrial work or what?
It would matter because you might be doing something that damages the space.

I wonder if you have exhausted your options in Bridgeport and adjacent areas. Pick up a copy of the Bridgeport News or look at their website. There are usually a bunch of listings for 3 or 4 bdrm places under $1000 in Bridgeport, McKinley Park or Canaryville. Obviously these will be vintage places, new construction is much more costly. Of the three, Bridgeport wins out on location and safety, but it's more expensive. Canaryville is probably the least desirable, but it's not awful. Look for empty storefronts in Canaryville - there's got to be a few for rent (maybe on 43rd St or Root).

Regarding the other places you looked, it's my opinion that Back of the Yards is a bit better than Garfield Park. Both should be avoided if you can help it, but I'd choose Back of the Yards first if those were my options. If the rents are comparable, it's probably because Garfield Park is nearer to somewhat trendy areas like West Town, Humboldt Park and the West Loop. Back of the Yards isn't near anywhere cool. It also stinks to high heaven most of the time, but maybe you can deal with that. I believe the Bridgeport News Classifieds also cover Back of the Yards, by the way.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 AM

I wouldn't be doing anything that would hurt the space. I don't really want to live in a dangerous place, but even in pilsen and little village people say "Don't go past California", and other stuff. I just don't have a good idea of what places are OK, and after 7 years in a tiny space, and the need for an art studio, I need a large place, and all the cheap ones are in bad areas. I found one good place in Pilsen but they said it was already taken after they showed it to me. I've been looking for 6 months and it's taken a toll, so I'm a little desperate.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 AM

I'm not sure where back of the yards is. Madison and Western seemed like it might be tolerable because it's between Ukrainian village where I live now, and pilsen where I have some friends who tell me it's safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago