Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 11,011 times

Advertisements

I found a house that I like in Beverly but I don't know that much about the neighborhood. I am a bit trepidatious about the race relations in this area (especially with the recent coverage of the racist signs). I am white and my husband is asian. What do you think the future holds for Beverly? Any info would be helpful. Feel free to PM too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times
Default beverly

It's been years but I grew up in Beverly. It's an awesome area. I wouldn't think you and your husband who's asian would have any issues living in this area.

There is an undertone of something in Beverly/Mt Greenwood, I wouldn't necessarily call it racism. This area has a lot of city workers, cops, firemen, etc. It's also bordered by some less nice areas. I think because of this people have little patience for "ghetto" people.

Would a black family not fit in well, maybe some people in the community may not like having a black family however I grew up with several black kids who I was close friends with and who fit in perfectly well. They had well kept houses/lawns, didn't have pants hanging off their butts, talked properly, weren't involved in gangs/drugs, etc. Those types of things will not go over well in Beverly but as long as your a good neighbor you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsZen View Post
I found a house that I like in Beverly but I don't know that much about the neighborhood. I am a bit trepidatious about the race relations in this area (especially with the recent coverage of the racist signs). I am white and my husband is asian. What do you think the future holds for Beverly? Any info would be helpful. Feel free to PM too.
Beverly is actually one of the more progressive and stably racially integrated areas in Chicago. It has blue collar roots and maybe some very isolated remnants of 30-year-old racial attitudes, but the modern reality is a mix of everyone including doctors, traders, CEOs, judges, teachers, firemen, contractors, etc. both black and white (not a strong latino presence). I have three inter-racial couples on my block, all of who moved here exactly so they could blend in and not feel uncomfortable. The thing to remember is that Beverly was supposed to have "turned" (all black) in the 70s. Now it is considered somewhat of a model of urban integration. The future looks extremely good in my view. I think of it as undervalued.

There is no hidden reason not to buy a house in beverly. The advantages/disadvantages are clear. It depends on what is of the most value to you:

advantages: incredible historic homes on large lots at reasonable prices; hills, tree-lined streets; proximity to loop compared to almost all suburbs (except Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero, etc); great metra access; extremely strong sense of community/neighborhood; racial integration/tolerance, a ton of character; good public k-8s and very good private schools (morgan park academy, st. barnabas, etc); not overrun by yuppies.

disadvantages: close to some rough areas; not nearly the number or quality of amenities vs. north side; far from loop compared to most city neighborhoods; bad public high school; not overrun by yuppies.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 PM

I agree. My take is that people in Beverly are very accepting of all races, but they are also very proud of and protective of their neighborhood, and are extremely cognizant of what it can quickly become if everyone isn't careful. There is little tolerance for ghetto behavior. Since there are virtually no ghetto white people in Chicago, blacks will probably be given a little more scrutiny at first. Once it is clear that there are no issues then I don't think anyone feels uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
It's been years but I grew up in Beverly. It's an awesome area. I wouldn't think you and your husband who's asian would have any issues living in this area.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 10,933 times
I love it here--HOWEVER, the public schools are rotten. Sutherland is the only decent school, and you have to make sure to live within its boundaries. You can also apply for magnet schools, but the chances of getting accepted, even for gifted students, is low. The public schools, then, are awful. Sure, there are some decent private schools, but why should you pay for private schools when you could have quality and free public schools elsewhere, like the NW Side?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus1970 View Post
Sure, there are some decent private schools, but why should you pay for private schools when you could have quality and free public schools elsewhere, like the NW Side?
1) if living south is infinitely more convenient than living northwest for your work commute; 2) if you don't even like the public schools on the NW side and plan to send your kids to a private school anyhow; 3) if, for whatever reason, you happen to like beverly significantly more than any NW side neighborhood and are willing to pay the price (given that an equivalent house is a bit cheaper in Beverly).

Maybe not most people, but there are quite a few in each category. I personally think city employees should either a) be given a private tuition voucher for each child or b) should be allowed to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus1970 View Post
I love it here--HOWEVER, the public schools are rotten.
How so?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM

26 posts, read 105,625 times
Move to Beverly. Like a few posters, I am also a resident, and a booster for the neighborhood. Sutherland and Clissold are the popular choices for k-8 parents. St. Cajetan and St. Barnabas are top notch catholic schools with fair tuition. There are two montessori schools for little ones in the neighborhood. The only downside, is that if you have children, and they can't get into a magnet school or u cant afford catholic/private...then you may have to send them to Morgan Park High School. Chicago Tribune considers it a Tier 4 (out of 4) school - and it is - but its in an unflattering neighborhood, with some unflattering people. but there have been initiatives taken lately to make it better.
Beverly is great. Diversity = stability here. The demos have not changed much in the last three decades lol!!! commercial district is a little lacking but there are some charming aspects - bars lining western, CVS on 111th across the street from Leonas and Beverly Arts Center, all three are frequented. 95th has a nice selection of restaurants, but if you want a good mall, you will have to drive to Chicago Ridge or Orland. Evergreen Plaza and Beverly Plaza are pretty sucky in terms of retail. Once again, great restaurants! Check out Koda on 103rd and western. great french bistro!
I'd say the "hot spots" for those who can afford it is that whole area between 89th - 111th on Leavitt, Hoyne, Seeley, Damen, Longwood, Prospect, Winchester, Bell, Oakley etc. For those on the lower end of middle class live between 99th and 118th between western and california (west bev.)

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,885 times
Beverlybrat,

CVS does not equate to bigtime commerce and of the CVS locations that sell alcohol, 40 percent of revenues come from liquor sales.

Having a crappy high school does not bode well for an area with lots of families and not dominated by DINKS.

Also, please note that much of Bronzeville is not nice, which contradicts one of your earlier posts.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM

MPHS has sucked for the better part of thirty years. Because of this I can get what would be a $1-2M house pretty much anywhere else the same distance from the loop (and the same level of safety) for 600K. I wouldn't say ".. it doesn't bode well". I would say that it has served to keep prices depressed for a long time, and there is a ready audience of people like me who can make other school plans in exchange for a home that would (and has) stirred the souls of many people.

I do however wish the high school didn't suck. 4/4 anything is ridiculous -- enabling/pandering to incredibly low expectations. I don't doubt that there are some good students but the dropoff is steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Beverlybrat,

CVS does not equate to bigtime commerce and of the CVS locations that sell alcohol, 40 percent of revenues come from liquor sales.

Having a crappy high school does not bode well for an area with lots of families and not dominated by DINKS.

Also, please note that much of Bronzeville is not nice, which contradicts one of your earlier posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago