Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times

Advertisements

zipcar.com and igocars.org

Check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I came from Iowa City 8 years ago with absolutely no plans on ditching the car. After 2 years though, the car was breaking down, I never used it since I worked downtown and couldn't drive to bars, I had to move it for street parking, insurance costs, city sticker, etc. etc.

So I finally sold it off very happy as well as apprehensive at the time. I kept waiting and waiting for it to finally be a huge pain, but it just never was. I was use to taking trains and buses anyway when I went out or to work, so all I needed a car for was groceries, going shopping in the burbs or going back to Iowa.

I've learned quite easily how to do the shopping. I just stop off once a week and grab things from Jewel on my way home from work, then jump on a bus the last 5 minutes. It's been a piece of cake. As far as shopping in the burbs and going to Target/Wal Mart once a week - I just stopped going. I realized that a lot of that was just "window shopping" or getting junk I really didn't need. On top of giving up all those random car expenses - I've noticed I saved a lot more in not buying random crap I don't need.

So OBVIOUSLY you need to get stuff like toilet paper, major groceries, heavy things, laundry detergent and all those other things that are much much easier with a car. I tend to go back to Iowa around 5 times a year, and I just rent a car to do that. I stop at Wal-Mart on the way out of Iowa City and do some serious stocking up. I'll also hit the malls, Target, etc. etc. I just buy 3 of everythign I need and I don't have to worry for another 3 months or so. I sometimes come back to Chicago and have to make 4 trips to the car trying to get everything. It really does make shopping much more exciting. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

If all else fails, get a Zip Car or whatever else. I've been car free for 6 years now, and have never once rented a Zip Car, had to grab a cab because I couldn't carry anything, or rent a car for going around the city or burbs. Once I borrowed my friends car for an afternoon when I was moving, but that's it.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
My car only come out about once a week, usually to go down to the Dominicks at Ashland and Archer (much better than the one on Roosevelt) or out to the SW burbs to see kinsmen.

I considered going carless but I can't, I love cars. I'd be like a Comanche without a horse.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
The title to this thread is illogical.

Just because you work downtown does not mean that you live downtown. Any salary range, from $20,000 to $150,000 can be "comfortable" depending on where you actually live.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The title to this thread is illogical.

Just because you work downtown does not mean that you live downtown. Any salary range, from $20,000 to $150,000 can be "comfortable" depending on where you actually live.
I want to hear from the person making $20k working downtown.

I'd live in the suburbs if it wasn't a 2 hour commute. I would think there's a reason people get paid more to work downtown. The hassle factor goes way up. You either get paid to put up with it or you get paid to live closer.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post

I'd live in the suburbs if it wasn't a 2 hour commute. I would think there's a reason people get paid more to work downtown. The hassle factor goes way up. You either get paid to put up with it or you get paid to live closer.
Well I did it. I also lived in Manhattan on $40,000. What do you want to hear about?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Quote:

I'm sure plenty exist. They could have an easy commute living along the red line near, say, 47th street, and pay 300/month for a 1 bedroom.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well I did it. I also lived in Manhattan on $40,000. What do you want to hear about?
Well, I could live here in Iowa for $10k! Take that!!

I thought the low crime and 30min commute stipulated what you'd need to make.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I could live here in Iowa for $10k! Take that!!

I thought the low crime and 30min commute stipulated what you'd need to make.
My commutes ranged from 45 minutes to 1.5 hrs, depending on where I was living in both Manhattan and Chicago. Every single day.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM

20 posts, read 54,011 times
Quote:

People with white-collar jobs who make $20K and work downtown live in tiny apartments with lots of roommates, and don't own cars. It's not unheard of. And don't forget the janitorial staff at all of those office buildings - how much do you think they're making, and they work downtown. And the waitstaff at all the restaurants. The whole loop isn't full of people making $100K, that makes no sense.

I don't think people who work downtown necessarily make more than those that work in the suburbs. I have colleagues downtown and they don't make any more than the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago