Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 34,820 times

Advertisements

I have recently found out I will be in Chicago for the summer for an internship at McCormick Place. I 'm looking for a safe neighborhood close by or within a reasonable commute. I will not have a car and will use public transportation. This is my first search and know nothing about Chicago nor about the transportation system. I have read many suggestions but I am not sure what is in the general area of McCormick Place Convention Center that would be suitable for a college female. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by crr89898; 04-08-2010 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Better title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The area around McCormick Place is pretty odd -- the South Loop is not quite fully expanded into the immediate area so there are still some creepy warehouses and such that tend to have unsavory characters nearby. Chinatown is fine for those fluent in Asian languages, but insular for those who are not. The pricey Praire Ave Historic District is so small that is really does not constitute a neighborhood.

Since transportation to McCormick Place is easy the smartest thing to do is almost certainly to live in the traditional area attractive to college students -- that would include Lakeview / Wrigleyville and really would still be a VERY easy commute.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks for that information. How safe are the buses coming through that area late at night?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Live in the south loop and take the metra electric 1 stop north.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Check about summer sub-leases of apartments rented by students at UIC, U of C and Columbia College. There should be some around which will be readily accessible to transportation to McCormick Place.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
How late at night are you talking about? I mean seriously an internship implies fairly 'normal' work hours. If you plan on working 10+ hours a day I would get a car. If you start at a normal hour and can knock off work while it is still light you will be on buses with LOTS of commuters and tourists.

Southloop is still no where near as "entertainment dense" as northside areas...

Schedule of buses is generally much better than Metra Electric line...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Go to metrarail.com and look up the .pdf of the Metra Electric schedule. You would be taking it 1-3 stops (mccormick to either 18th, musuem campus, or van buren). It runs more frequently than most people realize.

The south loop definitely isn't wrigleyville, but it is incredibly convenient, at the doorstep of the city center, and has much, much more than many people realize. Lots of young people have moved there in the past 10 years. It's worth a look. Endless beautiful new high-rise rentals.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Not sure of the hours I will be working but some nights will be into the early AM. I can bring a car but would rather not.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Just be aware that the metra electric is clean, safe at pretty much any hour, and arrives right at McCormick place normally within a few minutes of the scheduled time. It is by far the best way to get in and out of work without a car.

Now, where you live depends on the balance between wanting a quick commute vs. a more ideal neighborhood. South Loop is a nice neighborhood but it is as Chet points out -- not as entertainment dense. Lakeview, etc. might be a better fit but will require another 1/2 hour minimum of commuting. Hyde Park is south along the ME line and very nice also, but even less entertainment dense than the south loop. It depends on your taste/priorities.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 AM

I'm thinking since I am here for only a summer I'd love to meet and hang out with the 20 something crowd. I assume I will be working long hours but still want to have a fun summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: