Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times

Advertisements

I will be moving at the start of July to Chicago as a recent college grad (May 2007). Considering that I will be starting at a bout 55-60k a year, and am low on funds and have some nice college loans to start paying, I am looking to live as lean as possible at the start.

I want to live in the Near north/North Chicago area...around Lincoln Park/Lakeview or Lincoln Square/Ravenswood would also do well.

My question is...purely as a matter of opinion...do you think its a good idea to just get my own studio or 1BR place, or try to find some a place that needs a roomate and move in with some people?

I question whether or not moving in with relative strangers would be a good idea, but the savings on rent, etc, is hard to ignore. It would allow me to have a nicer place for less money, in most cases.

My seconds, and perhaps more important question is...does anyone happen to know of someone needing to rent a room? I have looked on many online sites for that very thing, but it is difficult to get an idea of what it really is...and usually requires me to spend money just to have a dialog with those people. That is rather annoying when I'm not even sure if I want to move in to those places, and the fact that there are free apartment searching places in Chicago. However, to my knowledge, these services won't find my a roomate situation.

Any suggestions, or leads, would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 AM

44 posts, read 239,353 times
Dont do roommates! Get a 1 bedroom in a vintage will cost you less. But again not everyone is a big fan of those vintages, me included. My two cents

Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 AM

358 posts, read 916,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevier View Post

My question is...purely as a matter of opinion...do you think its a good idea to just get my own studio or 1BR place, or try to find some a place that needs a roomate and move in with some people?
That's a question only you can answer for yourself. Some people cannot stand living alone or are extremely flexible and don't mind living with others. For those people, living with a roommate may be ideal.

However, for others, having one's own place, no matter how small, is essential. You set the rules for your own place, and you don't have any disagreements with the other roomies.

Just to let you know, my daughter just moved to Chicago and found a studio for $650 in Lincoln Park. She's a grad student and doesn't have much money at all, but for her, finding a place for just herself was the right decision.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 PM

131 posts, read 659,226 times
I wouldn't recommend moving in with people you don't know. I have friends that have done it and it worked out fine, though, so if you're leaning that way then you will probably be fine. My qualm is that you don't really know what you're getting yourself into and if you sign a lease you're kind of stuck.

As for your own place, you can afford it. Especially if you get a studio.

Check out Wicker Park (off of Division street and Ashland Ave) as you may be able to find a cheaper place there than Lincoln Park yet still have your shops, restaurants, bars and lots of 20 -somethings. Plus the El is right there.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
I think it's up to you. I would never have a random roommate, but some of my friends have and it really worked out. They found their roommates on craigslist.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,510 times
I have found roommates on roommates.com and craigslist. They have all worked out fine. In fact, I'll be moving to Chicago in 2 weeks and I found my roommate on Craigslist...I visited a month ago to meet her and check out the place. You just have to be careful and make sure your money is going to the right place and the person is trustworthy. You'd be amazed at all the possibilities there are when you go online to look, and it's free. I've also lived by myself, so I figure I'll save money for a while and if I want to move out on my own again, I always can.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:43 PM

60 posts, read 347,778 times
Default I've had roomates...

I've done the roomates thing and with some it worked out well, and with others it was a nightmare. I also did the whole roomates.com thing and surprisingly I really lucked out with that. He was actually my best roomate and was a complete stranger! Its the old saying dont do business with friends or family and boy was that the truth. The roomates.com thing allowed us to be able to run the apartment like a business and everything was fair and square or cut and dry so to say. There were no hurt feelings in the end when he finally moved out, so, yes it can work, but is one's own preference. The best thing you can do is talk to some of your friends or family and see what they have to say about this situation. For me, being alone means that you will have more freedom, but at a cost of less money and it can get kind of lonely. Roomates on the other hand give you more money to spend, but can come at the cost of company you don't always want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago