Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

fck racists....that is all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Yeah this happens with any place that's majority something. Be it race, class, culture, etc.

There was even teens burning down new condos in humboldt park to keep their neighborhood from changing

Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
If that's the way to try to save what's left of the South Side, then there's no hope.
very true

Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah this happens with any place that's majority something. Be it race, class, culture, etc.

There was even teens burning down new condos in humboldt park to keep their neighborhood from changing
Call me crazy but i have a feeling that if it was a bunch of upper middle class p. ricans moving to humboldt park none of this stuff would happen...

Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,144 times
I think the kids are just parroting what their fireman and policeman daddies say at the kitchen table. My husband's father is a retired Chgo fireman and had the same mindset because he was stationed in many a burned out neighborhood firehouse and saw things he never thought he would ever see. At least, this is what I have heard from him. Not saying it is right or wrong, just sayin this is probably where they get their bravado.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Call me crazy but i have a feeling that if it was a bunch of upper middle class p. ricans moving to humboldt park none of this stuff would happen...
Oh I think it would.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I'd follow more the Beverly route -- focus on creating rules to eliminate conversions, minimize the chance of white flight, etc. and welcome anyone who can afford one of the properties (classism vs. racism). After all, well-to-do blacks seem to despise the ghetto culture as much as whites do.
Excellent points. Communities should also do this. One main problem with the intimidation approach -- even assuming arguendo there is some logical basis for it -- is it's going to give the community a bad name, and make the forces who are going to keep it viable over the long haul less likely to move there. These forces are educated professionals, who are put off by communities they view to be racist. Racism is usually associated with lack of education and creativity.

Like it or not, the blue collar, white class is shrinking rapidly. I suspect it will be a tiny minority 20-30 years from now.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
These forces are educated professionals, who are put off by communities they view to be racist. Racism is usually associated with lack of education and creativity.
Well when you have enough dough you can hate people because of their class rather than their race or ethnicity. It's not as though the educated are more tolerant, they just scorn different things.

I don't see enough professionals around to keep many neighborhoods viable; it's not like they're common. Hell, at this point I'm wondering if Chicago is gonna end up viable at all.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-11-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
I'm not surprised by this at all, MT. Greenwood is a lower-middle working class White community and usually, those are the ones that ususally seem to racially change the fastest. IMO, I don't think that working class Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics get along well at all, but higher-income people of all races TEND to get along much better but definitely far from perfect. Hence Beverly is doing fine but name me one racially mixed working-class(lower-middle) neighborhood in the city that's stable and not racially changing. Those Southwest Side neighborhoods are becoming Black and Hispanic and I doubt that Whites are moving in, they're moving. Once Mt. Greenwood becomes 10-20%% Black, it will snowball and the lower, working class Whites will flee quickly. Beverly and Mt. Greenwood are oranges and apples.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
I've always known Mt. Greenwood for its cemeteries. I hope there's not a war to go to a cemetery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago