U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 AM

7 posts, read 23,129 times

Advertisements

hey everyone,

I am new here. Just browsed through some threads about apartments in Chicago, because i am probably going to be an intern during the summer in town.

It's kind of overwhelming to start with nowhere, I am a foreign student from U of I champaign urbana, and just got here last summer.

I am looking for some studio or 1 bedroom apartment close to downtown, and under $700 including utilities and stuff (which I don't know if its realistic). Better if it's a place that more young professionals just start their career live.

I asked my friends around, and they said the north side between cta blue and red line is a good bet. But that's still tons of neighborhood, and I have absolutely no sense at all how they are like.

Maybe I just need a good place to start, and I'll dig through it.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,439 times
I'm looking for the same thing from May to August 2010. Let me know if you find short term leases and send an email if you want me to let you know if I find short term leases. I'd be interesting in rooming, if you are. Where are you from originally? Je parle francais si ca t'aide y hablo espanol si eso te ayuda.
-Erin, erinobvious@gmail.com

Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM

82 posts, read 238,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppingshzhang View Post
hey everyone,

I am new here. Just browsed through some threads about apartments in Chicago, because i am probably going to be an intern during the summer in town.

It's kind of overwhelming to start with nowhere, I am a foreign student from U of I champaign urbana, and just got here last summer.

I am looking for some studio or 1 bedroom apartment close to downtown, and under $700 including utilities and stuff (which I don't know if its realistic). Better if it's a place that more young professionals just start their career live.

I asked my friends around, and they said the north side between cta blue and red line is a good bet. But that's still tons of neighborhood, and I have absolutely no sense at all how they are like.

Maybe I just need a good place to start, and I'll dig through it.

Thanks!
700 bucks? Foriegn student and easy access to red line train?

You have three options:
  • East Rogers Park - Access to 147 Bus + Red Line
  • Wrigleyville - Access to Red Line + Closer to downtown
  • Lincoln Park - Access to Red Line + EVEN closer to downtown.
PERKS and sad facts.

East Rogers Park with a budget of 700 you might be able to get a one bedroom apartment with everything you need included but electric or at least a livable studio apartment. They are literally steps away from the beach. There are only about 4 bars and they are away from the residents of Rogers Park. There are a lot of great places to eat here though.

Wrigleyville with a budget of 700 you will get a closet. However, your commute might be 10 or 15 minutes shorter than a commuter from Rogers Park. However, the neighborhood is fratville. Bars galore and it's just so damn loud. If you live here expect to be up because, your neighbors are drunk. Just bars tons and tons of bars.

Lincoln Park with a budget of 700 again a closet apartment. But, your commute to work is even shorter than the two above mentioned. There are always parties in this community and it's upbeat. A lot of traffic comes in and out of this community even moreso than Wrigley and East Rogers Park. A lot of great places to eat around here and a hand full of lounges and clubs.

My Personal Opinion?

If you don't mind a commute East Rogers Park is the winner. I'd try to live close to Sherdian or by the Loyola red line stop. You have the 147 bus and Red line for easy and consistent access into the city.

You'll need to give yourself at least 40-50 minutes of travel time considering it is public transportation and your coming from the most north tip of the city. But, it's very duable.

The pay off? The apartment. Here you might be able to find a one bedroom apartment with utilities and a laundry room in the building. You'll be extremely close to the beach and it's so gorgeous in the summer in Rogers Park. The neighborhood has some great places to dine into.

------------

If you can stretch your budget with another option 120-150. I'd suggest the Goldcoast. You'll be extremely close to downtown in a high riser and it'll be one hell of a easy commute and you'll have the whole downtown as your play ground.

That's just another suggestion if this was all a bit too much.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM

15,587 posts, read 25,357,677 times
Try:

Edgewater
Lake View
Andersonville
Lincoln Park
Buena Park

Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM

4,677 posts, read 9,507,714 times
In the Chicago Reader today there were some ads - not classified, actual ads - for a couple buildings w/studios in Lakeview under $700.

Its a soft rental market, you should be able to find something. 3 month rentals aren't common, but if you're moving out by 9/1 - another big move-in month, you might be able to find a studio that's closer to where you want to be.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,129 times
Thank everyone who replied! I actually looked through craigslist lately, and found some sublease may be doable, like UIC, or Loyola campus? any suggestions?

@ErinObvious Im chinese, lol. And yea im definitely interested in rooming too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago