Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM

245 posts, read 584,013 times

Advertisements

I miss getting a ticket stuck to my mirror for only five minutes in a loading zone.

I miss people blocking parking spots w/ garbage cans.

I miss city stickers for my vehicle.

I miss the 100 or so stoplights on the way to wherever I planned on going.

I miss LH exits off of the Eisenhower and the Dan Ryan.

I miss sitting traffic on Saturday on the Skyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 PM

184 posts, read 569,704 times
Same thing happened to me. I was born and lived in Chicago during my childhood. Then we moved to South Texas and at first I was very happy because I was going to try out something different. After 13 years I realized I missed Chicago so much I had to move back. I love Chicago because it is a real city with the nicest business district in the country imo. Lake Michigan is beautiful and the food here is the one of the best in the country. Now I am back in Chicago and glad to be home again. Now I am attending college here and couldn't be any happier.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,298 times
I deeply miss Chicago.

Here's what I miss most about home sweet home Chicago:

Lower cost of rentals compared to NYC, DC, BOS;

Great value and selection of food in supermarkets, restaurants, and
take out;

Cheaper goods and services than NYC, DC, BOS. Easier to get to Target, K-Mart and Home Depot type of stores on public transport;

From O'Hare you can get to just about anywhere;

Four seasons even though winters can be harsh, sometimes the snow can be beautiful. Besides, the cold makes you feel alive, and at least the air is fresh;

Lake Michigan in all seasons. With the lake frozen in winter and the vapors rising sometimes makes me feel as if I'm in Alaska. I like to watch the waves crash just before a storm. There's nothing like the light hitting the blue water on a nice sunny day. Listening to the waves is so calming, too;

Those amazing skyscrapers (Hancock, Bloomingdales, Leo Burnett and others around Wacker Dr.). The older buildings are charming too-- Drake and Wrigley;

The bustling squares around Water Tower Place, Rush Street, Diversey & Clark;

Pleasant people;

Decent subway and bus coverage (though, busses could be more plentiful and during the harsh weather). The transportation might not be GREAT, but at least it is an option;

There is always something to do;

I always felt safe in the city;

Walker's paradise-- great for relieving stress;

Christmastime in the city with all of the decorations;

The first signs of spring;

The river and lake boat tours;

The skyline view from the lake;

A large diverse city, but still an American city;

Outdoor restaurants in the summertime;

The ease of daily life; AND

Mid-west thunderstorms-- especially when the sun abruptly pops out of the dark sky and the air is fresher than ever.

I'm hoping to return, though it is looking less and less likely. At least I have my memories of my life there, once upon a time.

From experience, I can tell you there is no perfect place to live, but Chicago is (at least for me) pretty darn close.

Last edited by someplacebetter; 08-02-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM

97 posts, read 237,680 times
There's nothing like the Windy City. I miss it very bad. From the beauty of the traffic, the freeway system, the people, the neighborhoods, Navy Pier, and Lake Michigan...........mmmmm...mmm...mmm...miss it all. I shall return there 11/10

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM

180 posts, read 376,251 times
Kinda interesting to look back at my original post almost 5 months later.

I still miss Chicago, but I am a lot more comfortable with CO than I was a few months ago. It definitely grew on me. I think the nice summer weather helped a lot.

I am not 100% sure I want to move back just yet. I am 50/50 on it and it bugs me almost every day. I actually drew up a list of pros & cons between the two cities and it was equal. There are multiple things I like & dislike about both places. Unfortunately I can't have my cake and eat it too. The only thing that seems to tip the scales in Chicago's favor at this point is family.

It also doesn't help that I am in job limbo right now and the market here in Denver is rough.

Tough decisions ahead. Ugh.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,729,388 times
I'd probably let the job be the deciding factor right now if I was in your situation, since you seem to be equally happy in both places.

I only moved to Lake County and I miss Chicago!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 PM

425 posts, read 990,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
Kinda interesting to look back at my original post almost 5 months later.
The only thing that seems to tip the scales in Chicago's favor at this point is family.
That's one of the things that would stop me from returning to Chicago - my in-laws live there. - I love living 1,000 miles from them!

I've been living in TX for a year now; my husband travels to Chucago pretty regularly, and always complains about the humidity and expressways up there. Says he doesn't know how he put up with them all his life.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
That's one of the things that would stop me from returning to Chicago - my in-laws live there. - I love living 1,000 miles from them!

I've been living in TX for a year now; my husband travels to Chucago pretty regularly, and always complains about the humidity and expressways up there. Says he doesn't know how he put up with them all his life.
Curious, where in TX do you live that the humidity would be higher in Chicago? The Western section, perhaps El Paso?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
El Paso is desert SW. Look around the NE TX/SE OK/SW AR/ NW LA corner where you find a lot of greenery, water, and heavily forested areas. It's humid.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
El Paso is desert SW. Look around the NE TX/SE OK/SW AR/ NW LA corner where you find a lot of greenery, water, and heavily forested areas. It's humid.
Which is why I'm curious where poster lives in TX since at least 2/3'rds of it are way more humid than Chicago. The humid area stretches much farther west than just the East Tx Piney Woods area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago