Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times

Advertisements

Sure it does. It stretches into the western half, but almost any area on the northern border of Texas can have terrible humid spells. Humidity is humidity. If Dallas and Chicago, for instance, both have 50% humidity on a partiular day then Dallas may well 'feel' more humid than Chicago simply due to location and the fact Dallas does not have the "lake effect".

In reality the cornfields in central Illinois are probably more humid than either city simply because 1000 acre cornfields produce a lot of heat and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM

42 posts, read 81,041 times
I'm excited to read this thread. I've been in limbo for almost year trying to decide where to move. I'm a Chicago native and have been away for 20 years. I'm bored to tears in Denver (been out here on and off for 17 years.) I've also lived in Las Vegas (awesome fun, horrible economy), Florida (like many stated it's culture shock of sloooooooow people), and did a stint in L.A. too.

I've wrested with the ideas of relocating to Dallas, Austin, Phoenix - I like the snowless climates - but when I visited Dallas and Austin, I was not impressed with anything I saw. I love the desert, but feel I would experience all of Phoenix in a couple of weeks of living out there. (I hate TV and am always out an about.)

I dislike cold weather, but I think I'm forced to sacrifice nice weather for an amazing city of culture, nice, friendly, midwestern people and a plethora of things to do. I guess if the weather really starts bugging me in Chi-town, I could always leave...that's the only reason I'm hesitant to move back to Chicago.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,706,681 times
The problem with relocating away from Chicago to a small city is that nearly every other city feels tiny with not a lot of things to do. The only two metro areas bigger than Chicago are NYC and LA. The next largest after Chicago is 6 million and that is Dallas- Fort Worth. Chicagoans seem to do well in LA and Las Vegas.

I think the general apathy toward NYC is because we compete for everything. Plus if Chicagoans are going to move to an urban industrial belt city (East Coast or Midwest) we would rather just be in Chicago. NYC is far too expensive and the other cities are not nearly as big and cultural and nice as Chicago.

If one likes outdoor activities, Chicago is not for them. Chicagoans also tend to like Las Vegas because of the climate and its historical ties to Chicago. Same with L.A. Chicagoans tend to miss Chicago when they live in a non comparable city. Though Chicagoans I talk to who live in LA or Las Vegas or even NYC do not tend to miss the city as much as those who live in the Deep South, Texas, or other parts of the midwest.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 PM

180 posts, read 376,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
I'm a Chicago native and have been away for 20 years. I'm bored to tears in Denver (been out here on and off for 17 years.)
I've only been in Denver several months but it was obvious from the start...

Denver has better weather & mountains. Chicago has the city.

If you aren't a big outdoors person, there isn't a ton to do in Denver. It's not a huge sports town either. Sure, there are some Broncos and Rockies fans, but the sports culture just isn't there like it is in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago