U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 01:18 AM

7 posts, read 10,161 times

Advertisements

Hey guys:

Scanned through the pinned thread but I have some specifics.

I'm a mid-twenties writer who lived in NYC for a good 7 years but I'm ready for a different urban scene. I grew up in Iowa, just south of Des Moines, so I'm familiar with Chicago logistically and I know Wrigleyville well (go Cubs! ) but I don't know the city in a way where, right now, I would be able to look at ads on craigslist and discern if it's a good move for me.

Anyway:

--Looking for a studio/1 BR (wishful thinking, I know) at about 800-900 a month.
--Not that concerned about crime, although I realize that statistically, NYC is about as safe as Chicago.
--Wouldn't mind being around other artists but it won't kill me if I'm not, either. What I do want is a place with a few good coffee shops, a good local library branch, and an urban feel. I've lived in Bushwick, Williamsburg, Clinton Hill, and the East Village, so I'm very, very used to dense areas and I'm attracted to them.
--Good transit, although I can certainly walk some blocks to get to the train.
--This is important: the bars in NYC really suck. Trendy girls trying to get men while sipping overpriced drinks. I don't need a dive where I'll get murdered at 4 AM (or whatever time Chicago bars close), I just want a place where I can drink my Guinness at a far price in relative peace. Don't need MGMT on the sound system, the game can be on: just give me my beer at a fair price and get the idiots out of the bar.

Thanks a million, people!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 AM

50 posts, read 124,480 times
Lincoln Square (along Lincoln Avenue southeast from the intersection of Lawrence and Western.) I'm a former New Yorker who's been in Chicago for 7 years, downtown for 5 of them. I'm planning a move to Lincoln Square, myself, to have a nice, urban, but non-scene neighborhood again. The area has everything you described--good local library, a few good coffee shops, a few good watering holes, urban feel (but not oppressively so), good transit (the Brown Line's Western stop is right in the middle of the hood and two 24-hour bus routes.) Great restaurants and an old-Chicago feel, to boot. You'd probably find your $900 one-bedroom, too. (Average studios in Lincoln Square run about $600, or so the local apartment-finder outfits say.)

If it makes sense to you, I used to live in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and Lincoln Square feels like a cross between Park Slope and Windsor Terrace. Homey but hip enough to feel at home for an artist (worth noting in that regard the Old Town School of Folk Music is in the hood as well.) And since they rebuilt the Brown Line, only about 25/30 minutes from the Loop on the 'L' now.

Search for a few good threads on the neighborhood here on City-Data and check out the Wikipedia entry as well. You might like.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,840,511 times
If you've lived in Bushwick/Billyburg and liked it, I'd think that you'd want somewhere more up-and-coming than Lincoln Square -- which is pretty much Park Slope stroller-set these days. However, the bigger problem you'll find here is finding a studio/1BR apartment. They're most plentiful along the lakefront, but those are hardly avant-garde neighborhoods. The boho/hipster scene these days is mostly in Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, Pilsen, and Bridgeport, with some outposts in Hyde Park and Rogers Park.

Chicago's filled with low-key dive bars. (~95% close at 2AM.) My favorite for cheap Guinness is the Grayland, but the neighborhood with the highest concentration of ones I approve of is greater Ukrainian Village.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,736,657 times
West Town, Ukrainian Village, Pilsen, and Logan Square would all be good bets. Stay close to the Blue Line in Pilsen and Logan Square for the safer areas (i.e. within a 10-15 minute walk). Lincoln Square is really nice, but more family oriented than arts oriented. For bars to watch a game I'm a big fan of the Bob Inn, but you'd have to become a Sox fan.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM

131 posts, read 124,485 times
Check out Wicker Park if your going for neighborhoods that are crowded,very dense,busy and full of nightlife, and Check out the other thread about people who are making the move to Chicago.I've posted alot of good info on those threads.Good luck and Welcome to Chicago!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM

143 posts, read 412,506 times
lincoln park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago