Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM

297 posts, read 518,368 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm driving with my parents from New Jersey to Iowa and we're going to be stopping in Chicago. We decided instead of just spending the night, we would also spend the next day there. What are some things to do in Chicago for the day? If it helps, I'm 18. We also need two restaurant suggestions and a hotel suggestion. My dad is a Hilton card member or something like that so he gets discounts and points so what are the Hiltons in Chicago like? It will be mid-August and a weekday. Thanks!

Last edited by traveler92; 05-15-2010 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,183,790 times
Both the Palmer House and Chicago Hilton are Hilton properties and well situated. These hotels are of the grand old style. Both are within 5 or 6 blocks of each other so location would be fine with either.

There is so much to do. Shop on N Michigan Ave or State St., visit the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower or the John Hancock Center, the Art Institute which is walking distance to either hotel. A lot of other museums and tons of restaurants depending upon your price point. Both hotels I mentioned have good restaurants and you can google for info.

Hope this helps and I am sure others will chime in to give you additional info.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM

8,392 posts, read 3,475,220 times
To add to soulful's suggestions, if the weather's nice, take a stroll through Grant Park, check out the Buckingham Fountain (it's close to both Hilton hotels), look around Millennium Park (you can eat there too - don't know what the food's like or how expensive it is, but it's a great spot for people watching). Walk along the edge of the lake - great views of Chicago's skyline too. The old Marshall Fields department store isn't far away either (now Macy's I think) - the building's worth a look around.

You can also take a river cruise (the architecture cruise is really interesting even if you aren't into architecture). Goes for 60 or 90 minutes (not sure)... easy to fit into a day. Google Chicago river cruises to get more info.

If the weather's bad on the day (and as soulful suggested), there are plenty of museums close to both Hilton hotels. The State Library is also nearby - it's enormous and worth a look. Also - if you need to check emails - you can get free internet access there!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM

I read that there are beaches on the great lakes. How far is Chicago from one of these beaches? Would anyone recommend one? It's mid-August so it will probably be really hot. I've never been to a beach on a lake before so that's be cool to check out.

I've heard good things about this Michigan Ave; we'll have to check it out. Is the U. of Chicago worth checking out?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,487,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I read that there are beaches on the great lakes. How far is Chicago from one of these beaches? Would anyone recommend one? It's mid-August so it will probably be really hot. I've never been to a beach on a lake...
There are like 30 beaches in the city.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,416,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I read that there are beaches on the great lakes. How far is Chicago from one of these beaches? Would anyone recommend one? It's mid-August so it will probably be really hot. I've never been to a beach on a lake before so that's be cool to check out.

I've heard good things about this Michigan Ave; we'll have to check it out. Is the U. of Chicago worth checking out?
is this close enough for you?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Holy crap, that picture is awesome. What's the name of the beach in that picture?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,487,428 times
^ It looks like Oak Street to me. ^

Here is the link for Chicago's beaches btw:

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/resources/beaches/

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Which beach would you recommend for boogie boarding and swimming in the lake? Can you boogie board in the lake? Are there waves?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,416,495 times
thats oak street, certainly not the best beach, but its cool b/c say if you were a girl you could just wear some bikini stuff under your clothes, do some shopping on michigan ave, then walkover to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: