Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 87,976 times

Advertisements

Hi im lee im moving to chicago from Edmond OK. is this address in uptown is a good neighborhood 1352 w carmen ave Chicago IL 60640. Does it have good schools and work and transportation and is the safety here in this neighborhood good?

Feel free to pm me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 PM

30 posts, read 429,555 times
it may be so-so, but i believe it may be right next to some rather dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,273 times
Default Andersonville

The address on Carmen is in a safe neighborhood. It is actually considered Andersonville not Uptown. Transportation is OK if you do not mind a bus to the train. Schools are Schools in downtown Chicago. Mine attend private.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
The neighborhood is fine. I used to live not too far from there and really liked it, however it is probably not as close to the 'el' as you'd like, but I think within a mile (the Argyle stop). I don't know anything about schools, but the Andersonville neighborhood is fast becoming a desirable place to live, I'd move back there in a second if I didn't like my current neighborhood so much.

As far as safety is concerned. It is fairly safe as far as urban neighborhoods go, but like anywhere, one must use common sense and be careful (I wouldn't walk home from the train at 3am), but by local standards, it is pretty safe (which of course is a relative concept).

Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 87,976 times
Default neighborhoods

which dangerous neighborhoods or streets carmen is by? and 1 more thing i just wonder which neighborhood is safer albany park,north park, jefferson park vs carmen ave.

Last edited by azndragon60640; 10-24-2006 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-25-2006, 02:11 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndragon60640 View Post
which dangerous neighborhoods or streets carmen is by? and 1 more thing i just wonder which neighborhood is safer albany park,north park, jefferson park vs carmen ave.
its overall a pretty safe area, and the neighborhood(Uptown) has been improved a lot over the last few years(i actually volunteer at a cat shelter that happens to be on the east end of the block you're considering moving to). as someone who grew up in the area, and still visits the neighborhood whenever i'm off of college, what i would caution you about is to not walk east of the 'L very late or go too far south of Lawrence at night, as a rule of thumb(particularly the area around the Wilson 'L stop at night, and exercise caution getting off at Lawrence or the Argyle 'L stops(though safer) late at night).

and where you live will only be like 2-3 blocks from the Argyle 'L stop(another stop, Berwyn, is about 3-4 blocks north, and has a grocery store by it). also, in terms of safety, Jefferson Park is probably the safest and quietest of these neighborhoods. the neighborhoods you mentioned are for the most part, safe(except for most of Albany Park/North Park, particularly if you venture too far south into the residential areas south of the North Branch of the Chicago River, and drive south of N. Park College). i wouldn't say its all bad though, since if you're into Middle Eastern or Mexican culture, there are a decent number of interesting shops/restaurants in this area(particularly on Lawrence and Kedzie), and a thrift store by the Kimball 'L station on Lawrence. i'd just wouldn't recommend driving on Lawrence and Kedzie during the day, due to the heavy amount of daytime traffic on these streets(and would recommend using Wilson, Foster, and Kimball instead). and of course, i'd advise against walking in that same area late at night, particularly south of NP College, and the river.

i hope your move to Chicago goes well!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Good da8^ this thread is OLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: