Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliz81 View Post
I totally agree with you here! People want to look at the bad stuff(which there is some) but the media is there to instill fear. And the more bad things Englewood and othrs hears about it self the more people are scared to change it, and the more people are scared to change it the worse it gets. Its like a self fulfilling prophesy.

Wicker Park, Bronzeveille, and alot other neighborhoods have had there share of 'crime' and poverty until they changed.
Yeah but I doubt either of those places ever had 80 murders in 4 months.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM

184 posts, read 766,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Yeah but I doubt either of those places ever had 80 murders in 4 months.
Bronzeville covers a wide area and likely had more than 80 murders in 4 months during its worst of times.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
Bronzeville covers a wide area and likely had more than 80 murders in 4 months during its worst of times.
And therefore, Englewood is a perfectly safe neighborhood.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And therefore, Englewood is a perfectly safe neighborhood.
My point was to not overstate the amount of crime reduction in Bronzeville. The lows of Bronzeville are no better than some parts of Englewood.

Frankly, I'd feel safer at the corner of 63rd/Halsted than at any Bronzeville green line L station.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,393 times
Quote:
Bronzeville is/was much bigger though wasn't it?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
My point was to not overstate the amount of crime reduction in Bronzeville. The lows of Bronzeville are no better than some parts of Englewood.

Frankly, I'd feel safer at the corner of 63rd/Halsted than at any Bronzeville green line L station.
First, I don't think it's possible to overstate the crime reduction in Bronzeville, especially once all the towers came down. Second, it also depends greatly on which part of Bronzeville you're in. North of 43rd Street is almost a different world from south. But even south of 43rd the violent crime rate is way lower than in Englewood.

If I were given a choice between sitting at the Bronzeville/IIT Green Line station all day or the 63rd/Halsted Green Line station for an hour, I'd pick the 35th Street station every time.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If I were given a choice between sitting at the Bronzeville/IIT Green Line station all day or the 63rd/Halsted Green Line station for an hour, I'd pick the 35th Street station every time.
So would I for 35th street, but not for 43rd street. ? if you are white since 43rd is more used to seeing the occasional white face than 63rd/Halsted.

Last edited by linicx; 03-11-2010 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: English only

Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,989 times
first off all yes eglewood is not safe but it would be safe if the goverment would donate money to it and try to help it out. well i know that we have been donating money to different states but how are we going to give money to help other people and states but we can barley help out or state like the saying is that how can you help out someone else but you can barley help your self and eglewood is not safe but it would be if we had help and people who cared about chicgo

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,107 times
Or jobs. Decent jobs for the unskilled accessible to Englewood would definitely eventually make a big difference in the area.

I don't know how you do this. Money can't buy jobs, unless you're just gonna mail people checks. I mean, the city can and should and does throw some money at the area, fixing sidewalks and maintaining schools and rebuilding the city college and giving tax incentives to businesses. But it can't force business owners to move in there. If you ran a company making widgets and you had to open a new plant that could be placed anywhere in Chicagoland, would you pick Englewood? I wouldn't. It'd be cheap there, but it's pretty cheap a lot of other places.

Nice post, Madman. Or is it Mannheim?

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, part of the problem is indeed the kind of workforce you would have. I suspect Englewood residents would be a lot more of a hassle to employ in an unskilled job than those factory-worker-types from other areas. So Humboldt has a point that a turnaround might require just clearing out many of the current residents, if that's what it takes to clear out the culture of failure.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 AM

24 posts, read 76,617 times
Wow - I read through this whole thread and I cannot stop laughing at the title - Englewood is not safe!! I feel horrible for the people that have to live there and have no choice because of financial issues. I feel most horrible for the kids that have to grow up in such a crime-ridden place that is hard to escape. But to pretend/debate whether this area is safe is literally delusional. No one who doesn't have to live there would/should even consider it. For those that are trying to get out and stuck there, I really hope that they are able to someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago