Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times

Advertisements

Teacherman --

I agree with the recommendations for Hyde Park and East Beverly/Morgan Park. Both are diverse, well served by public trans, & have a lot to offer.

Since you are also price conscious, I'm going to suggest the suburb of Blue Island, immediately south of Chicago City Limits (119th & Western, south of Mt. Greenwood & Morgan Park) IF that's something you would consider.
It is diverse, (50% hispanic, 25% white, 25% black -- but I'm getting this from school enrollment data) well-served by Metra & CTA, and inexpensive. If that's something you'd consider you should look at two-flats, not big buildings.

I know of many CPS teachers who reside here with their families.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Teacherman --

I agree with the recommendations for Hyde Park and East Beverly/Morgan Park. Both are diverse, well served by public trans, & have a lot to offer.

Since you are also price conscious, I'm going to suggest the suburb of Blue Island, immediately south of Chicago City Limits (119th & Western, south of Mt. Greenwood & Morgan Park) IF that's something you would consider.
It is diverse, (50% hispanic, 25% white, 25% black -- but I'm getting this from school enrollment data) well-served by Metra & CTA, and inexpensive. If that's something you'd consider you should look at two-flats, not big buildings.

I know of many CPS teachers who reside here with their families.
CPS requires all employees hired since 1997 to live in the city proper. And at any rate, TeacherMan has selected an apartment in Bridgeport.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
CPS requires all employees hired since 1997 to live in the city proper. And at any rate, TeacherMan has selected an apartment in Bridgeport.
I was not aware of that.
My bad.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,701 times
Since you all are very knowledgeable. What neighborhoods are safer for women to live in? I lived in LA so having people from different cultures as neighbors doesn't bother me. What bothers me is worrying if I can make it to the corner store and back without getting shot. I don't want to live in a bad area.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:10 PM

86 posts, read 698,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
Since you all are very knowledgeable. What neighborhoods are safer for women to live in? I lived in LA so having people from different cultures as neighbors doesn't bother me. What bothers me is worrying if I can make it to the corner store and back without getting shot. I don't want to live in a bad area.
I would recommend West Rogers Park (West Ridge), Lincoln Square and Forest Glen.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 8,572 times
Exclamation in my opinion

i dont believe that the streets of Englewood is that bad where someone would not recommend one walking the streets of Englewood during the day before sunset.It actually depends on what part of Englewood you're in.From the news broadcast there are alot of murders being commited but its not because of the fact that the victim was walking the streets before sunset.Most of the victims were caught in crossfire or had something to do with gang-related issues.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucolo View Post
i dont believe that the streets of Englewood is that bad where someone would not recommend one walking the streets of Englewood during the day before sunset.It actually depends on what part of Englewood you're in.From the news broadcast there are alot of murders being commited but its not because of the fact that the victim was walking the streets before sunset.Most of the victims were caught in crossfire or had something to do with gang-related issues.
Oh, well that completely changes my assessment of the neighborhood. I don't know about you, but I'd feel much better knowing the bullet that ripped through my torso was meant for someone else.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh, well that completely changes my assessment of the neighborhood. I don't know about you, but I'd feel much better knowing the bullet that ripped through my torso was meant for someone else.
I am also glad that apparently the gangs wait until after dark before they try to rob,beat,or murder people. How nice of them! I would like to see this gang agreement!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Default Englewood / West Englewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucolo View Post
This entire discussion, which I happened upon by accident, is extremely interesting to me. I "grew up" in the Englewood / West Englewood area in the 50's, early 60's. Attended Harper High School, and lived about a 1/2 blocks south of Ogden Park on Throop Street. My memories are of wonderful neighborhood where everyone "looked out for" everyone else, where, as a kid, you could get by with nothing, as there was always some mothers watchful eye on the "doings".

Well, it's been (more than) a few years, and although I knew that this area was in really bad shape in the 70's, I had hoped that it was "reviving". One of my long time aspirations is to be able to return to that area and in some way to provide opportunities for fine arts and music programs for the current residents and their children. I am a horticulturist, and several years ago, I was in contact with a young woman who had told me about an urban horticulture program that was being done in Ogden Park. Any current information that you can provide for "opportunities to assist" or for current information about conditions in this area would be appreciated. I currently live on the west coast of U.S. Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 01:54 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Englewood is pretty much the worst neighborhood in the city for crime, poverty, guns, drugs, gangs, etc. If you were going to name the five worst Chicago neighborhoods, Englewood would be on almost everyone's list. It's not facing ANY kind of revival at this moment, and it won't in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago