Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,269,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I feel I'm stuck having to walk past Hotel Chateau and other hotspots in order to make my way to Lakeview or Wrigleyville, where all the restaurants/shopping are.
Hi, if you find that block of Broadway where Hotel Chateau is located too disturbing/scary, you can always take a detour. Try Pine Grove instead, which is one block east of Broadway and is residential and pretty decent. You can then pick up Broadway again at a point further south where it isn't so troublesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,627 times
Although the areas around the main part of Uptown are "nicer"(noone in my family can afford to live in those neighborhoods) the main parts of Uptown are still a rough hood. I have family right off Clarendon and Lawrence and they hear gunshots about every day and innocent people get shot there from time to time. There are some real crazy bangers in the area who will mess with you just because your on their block. Although it is a diverse hood with many races and types of people,the main part of it between Clarendon and Clark,especially down and around Lawrence Wilson and Sheridan is the ghetto. Not the worst in the Chi but definitely the hood.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,561,473 times
I haven't had issues up in Margate Park the short time i've been here and my encounters with mentally ill / high folks have only decreased with Somerset being boarded up. For what i'm paying for my nice place and great commute, i couldn't be happier.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I haven't had issues up in Margate Park the short time i've been here and my encounters with mentally ill / high folks have only decreased with Somerset being boarded up. For what i'm paying for my nice place and great commute, i couldn't be happier.
I think the impact of Somerset closing will be huge for Margate Park. Let's hope it's not replaced by something as bad or worse! Empty buildings in Uptown make me nervous... Not so much for the squatters, but for the unknown future.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,010,602 times
The key is getting rid of Schiller. If she gets voted out of her alderman office, things will change for the better in Uptown.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,657,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the impact of Somerset closing will be huge for Margate Park. Let's hope it's not replaced by something as bad or worse! Empty buildings in Uptown make me nervous... Not so much for the squatters, but for the unknown future.
I don't think the Somerset was nearly as bad for the neighborhood as some of the buildings on Kenmore and Winthrop. That one behind the Aragon was pretty bad (I moved away 4 years ago so I'm not up to date). The building on the northeast corner of Sheridan and Ainslie was full of lowlifes too.

When we moved away my wife, who'd lived in a very nice old 12 flat condo building at Ainslie and Sheridan for many years, thought things were getting worse instead of better; this after a period in which things had been getting better.

But like I said; I'm not up to date.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
I'd love to run against Shiller for alderman. I don' t live in the city right now though. Is there any serious contender to run against her?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
^ I think there is going to be multiple candidates. I think the vote might split enough to knock her out. ^

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-22-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,269,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I'd love to run against Shiller for alderman. I don' t live in the city right now though. Is there any serious contender to run against her?
I know James Cappleman is running again.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM

955 posts, read 1,821,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ I think there is going to be multiple canidiates. I think the vote might split enough to knock her out. ^
I dunno, Cappleman almost beat her last time and multiple candidates might just split the anti-Helen vote this time. In a head to head she is probably going to lose. Her best hope on that front is if Daley has no competition and turnout is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago