Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADASGIRL View Post
This post is not directed to those who are active in the community, teachers, police/fire or hospital staff , or caretakers of ill/infirm relatives. These individuals are all but tethered to the area - BUT - everybody else...why are you still there? This post also isnt meant to be just a rant about the crime & poor performing schools but more of a quality of life issue. Job opportunities are low on the south side so many of you commute downtown or to the burbs. Sure housing is cheaper, and maybe you're around familiar cultures and demographics but if the point of this life is to live it to the fullest - why do you remain in an area thats stagnant?

And yes - I know there has been SOME improvements, but anybody on this forum knows that the south side still leaves a sour taste in mouths. Heck - popular Real Estate publications dont even illustrate property beyond US Cellular/Bridgeport. When people ask for honest feedback regarding relocation Hyde Park may be the only south side area mentioned. After chalking up Crook county taxes, lack of REAL urban development and the 800lb crime & poor schools elephant in the room - what is the REAL reason you stay. I know people who drive to areas like Deerfield from the far south side everyday - so is it tradition, fear, laziness, comfort zone, indifference...

Its so funny that people from far away lands break their necks to get to USA soil and strive to attain something "better" than what they have always known. Yet so many here have no pioneering spirit. I'm sure there is a sociological perspective on the why - but I'd love to hear some feedback from the forum.
Someone has to live on the south side. If all the upward mobile people left the southside, then Chicago would be in trouble. That is 60% of Chicago's land area we're talking about. I think people stay because its cheaper and less crowded(good for parking). I'm technically not a south-sider; I live in Harvey(born & raised). I'm planning to move to the city next year and considering Hyde Park. The neighborhood is diverse, safe enough, close to the lake and Metra, and have all the amenities I need. Yeah it lacks a club scene, but all I have to do is hop on the Metra to downtown and then hop on one of the el lines if I need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
I find it hard but some blacks have a fear of change and if you leave your neighboorhood you are ostracized for trying to be white. This is so sad. But I grew up in Roseland when it was intergrated and it was a beautiful place. I tried the Northside but learned about ghettos there. One thing for sure I did not grow up with gunfire and I had enough brains to know that my children deserved better than for me to accept "gunfire" as normal. So yes I ran just like anyone who knew they wanted a better living environment.I feel that if you know better then do better. Communities talk to each other not run to the house because of having to duck for gunfire and fear of getting carjacked or robbed ....just to speak to the public... Do not blame the the government in Chicago-voting is free and a education is priceless and I was taught respect for self and others.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Here's the problem with the south side. To take one example, let's look at Chatham. Everybody talks about what a fine, middle class oasis it is. There's a lot of truth to this. Houses are well kept, and there are blocks of beautiful old homes. Shopping is abundant. Not only are there plenty of large chain stores, but the main streets like 87th are pretty well occupied. It's a fine place to live, except for one little thing. Over the past two years, there have been 30 homicides in Chatham, most of them shooting victims!

Community Areas - Chatham - Tracking homicides in Chicago - RedEye | ChicagoNow

Now, imagine how many shootings there must be where people haven't died. And how many armed robberies. When people think the south side is generally not safe, it really isn't.

Over the past two years, there have also been 51 homicides in South Shore, 19 in Woodlawn, 6 in Avalon Park, 58 in Greater Grand Crossing. These are just the neighborhoods south of Hyde Park. It's hard to imagine any upwardly mobile professional feeling comfortable living around here.

Compare that with the neighborhoods that are considered to be the roughest on the North Side. 11 homicides each in Albany Park and Rogers Park, 5 in Uptown. Even Logan Square only had 12.

Last edited by prairiestate; 06-08-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 12:00 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
...Compare that with the neighborhoods that are considered to be the roughest on the North Side. 11 homicides each in Albany Park and Rogers Park, 5 in Uptown. Even Logan Square only had 12.
Only 12? Wow that is something to be proud of.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-09-2010 at 12:09 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
Here's the problem with the south side. To take one example, let's look at Chatham. Everybody talks about what a fine, middle class oasis it is. There's a lot of truth to this. Houses are well kept, and there are blocks of beautiful old homes. Shopping is abundant. Not only are there plenty of large chain stores, but the main streets like 87th are pretty well occupied. It's a fine place to live, except for one little thing. Over the past two years, there have been 30 homicides in Chatham, most of them shooting victims!

Community Areas - Chatham - Tracking homicides in Chicago - RedEye | ChicagoNow

Now, imagine how many shootings there must be where people haven't died. And how many armed robberies. When people think the south side is generally not safe, it really isn't.

Over the past two years, there have also been 51 homicides in South Shore, 19 in Woodlawn, 6 in Avalon Park, 58 in Greater Grand Crossing. These are just the neighborhoods south of Hyde Park. It's hard to imagine any upwardly mobile professional feeling comfortable living around here.

Compare that with the neighborhoods that are considered to be the roughest on the North Side. 11 homicides each in Albany Park and Rogers Park, 5 in Uptown. Even Logan Square only had 12.
Regarding the bold, The OP asked that question and we answered. What more do you want? And there are about 25+ other neighborhoods to live in that aren't around these areas.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Regarding the bold, The OP asked that question and we answered. What more do you want? And there are about 25+ other neighborhoods to live in that aren't around these areas.
All but a few of those other 25+ have just as many homicides. Englewood, South Chicago, West Pullman, etc. The few pockets that are relatively safe are surrounded by these neighborhoods. It's no wonder not many people feel safe on the south side if they're not from the area.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
All but a few of those other 25+ have just as many homicides. Englewood, South Chicago, West Pullman, etc. The few pockets that are relatively safe are surrounded by these neighborhoods. It's no wonder not many people feel safe on the south side if they're not from the area.
Then they don't have to live here. Its really that simple LOL. This thread was asking why those of us that can go elsewhere stay. We answered. No big deal.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
It's because of the observation that, even though physically close, for whatever reason those murders don't spill over into the handful of nice sections. For example it's been quite a while since there has been a murder in beverly -- the last one I can recall (a personal dispute two years ago) was really on the far, far fringes of the neighborhood -- an area that wouldn't worry most people since locals consider anything east of Prospect to be another neighborhood. It gives the feeling that, if you don't live and interact in that ghetto world, your chances of getting shot aren't really much worse than anyplace else.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Hey, only 7 in Avondale - we're tied with Edgewater!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM

106 posts, read 267,648 times
I lived on the southside for several years (teen and young adult). I worked in Evergreen Park, (Beverly area) spent a lot of time there. I lived in Englewood, Chatham, Bonzeville, Roseland, and south Shore. It is the most affordable place in the chicago area. However, I don't know if it was me being young or moving to the city at 15 after being in the suburbs my whole life. But, I never knew until I lived south that you are a fool to want to venture outside of your community.

I was riding my bike in Chatam over to a friends house. Though it's mostly a great community after several nice blocks there are a few rough ones then back nice and back rough...It's all over like that. So a simple ride of 9 blocks was cut short when I was quickly knocked off my bike, kicked and left on the 83rd and king,

Roseland was never quiet,

englewood I didn't have a garage and hated to walk to my car because guys consistantly hung outside and always had things to say.the direct opposite if politely and since I was not interested. They did things to my car. I had no proof so the police could not do or say anything. But they also knew what was going on. When it started to be real damage I parked blocks away and took the bus home.

In Bronzeville, in which I was soo pleased to move to with my new family and while I was walking my son down 42nd right off King. around 6:00 , 6:30 (no I did not think that was too late for a leisure walk). I was robbed by knife point. ( for $3.00, the stroller and a small gold chain with a cross on it.)

Then to South Shore...there was the lake, the cultural center, it was quaint and quiet. Soo quite that we went to work and school during the day and came home to a house emptied.....Of course even though we had tons of neighbors that stayed in thier window, or just at home all day. No one saw or heard a thing.

Now in the beginning I thought I had horrible luck, Then I thought it was that I was making myself stand out too much, But the sad truth came in converstation at the diner that these sort of crimes happen all the time most go unreported. (as some of mine) The slogan told to me was Get tough, or get got. I got tough...along with rude and inpatient.( I then blended with the majority) I didn't really like it.

Because it happens and you get upset but just move on. Eventually learn to stay in, travel away when you want to go out. Invest in security everything. And relish the fact that your not house poor, you home is being paid for, you're not broke, and you can afford to live comfortable and the gas to drive elsewhere. But if money was not an object. I hardly believe I would've stayed for that long or anyone else that know something is better out there.

I say that because I personally know individuals that have not traveled outside of the southside and actually asks why would they. They are 30, and 40 something year old folks that do not want better, simply because they do not know any better. I had the pleasure of introducing a wider view of life to a very few of these individuals...Since money is an object. Only one has been able to actually make a move. The others have revoked thier home-body ways and drive to places to take a nice bike ride and other acivities.

So my answer is money kept me. But when I caculated the cost of a home, and private schooling for both my boys for the next 12 years, including extracurriculars and other evets that life brings. I wasn't getting ahead much by staying south. If the public schools were the same quality as where I'm located now. I would have stayed and been ahead with lower living costs out south. But since they are not, the money I now put toward my home is less than I would have been putting toward my boys to get be in a good, clean, educating, safe environment. Now I will get that by just paying my taxes as I normally would. That is what is most important to me the quality of life for my kids. If I was single I would still be out there. Security everything, I would not love it though.My best jobs have always been northwest. I'm not the best commuter. Oh and 10 years on that red line was waaaay more than I cared to have. I took it in the last few months while visting a friend. The same peddlars at the same time.... I didn't mind Mr. Reagge (who's name I am happy to report I've forgotten) too much but, I can remember that some mornings I just did not welcome the intrusion into my quiet morning commute. But, that's all my lil take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago