Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times

Advertisements

A group of five of us (females, white, downhill side of 50) are meeting up in Chicago in July. Since two of us are huge blues fans we're hoping to spend most of our evenings at live blues venues... the others may choose to come with us now and again, or not at all.

I've been to Chicago several times and am very familiar with a number of great blues venues, but there are three places we really want to visit... but are unsure of the sketchiness of their locations and/or our ability to fit in with the regulars. We don't want to make others feel uncomfortable, nor do we want to feel uncomfortable ourselves.

We'd be taking taxis to and from the venues (staying in South Loop), but some of us would need to pop out onto the street now and again for a cigarette.

The three venues are:

Artis's Lounge - 1249 E. 87th St
Lee's Unleaded - 7401 S. Chicago Ave
Rosa's Lounge - 3420 W. Armitage

Any advice as to whether or not we should check these places out would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:45 AM

60 posts, read 194,688 times
You must go to Buddy Guy's Ledgends on 754 South Wabash. I think you would call this in the South Loop but not sure. It is just down the road from my son's and we walk there all the time when we are in town. A very safe area and he has a nice new building. There is always someone good playing there. I was just there last weekend for the grand opening of his new club and it is very nice. The food there is also very good but if it is advised to get there early if you want a good seat.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
...but are unsure of the sketchiness of their locations and/or our ability to fit in with the regulars...

Artis's Lounge - 1249 E. 87th St
Lee's Unleaded - 7401 S. Chicago Ave
You would stick out like a lion in Alaska at these places. Not to mention the neighborhoods are not very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Rosa's Lounge - 3420 W. Armitage
You would fit it more here, however this area is not among the safest in the city either.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
ljwelch - thanks for the info We've been to Buddy Guy's several times (it's right around the corner from where we usually stay), and are looking forward to checking out the new venue in July. Hoping it's doesn't have too much of a 'new' feeling though!

Avengerfire - thanks... I had a feeling that might be the case. We've been in many blues venues all around the US over the years... quite often we've been the only white people there (or at least in a definite minority)... and it's never been a problem. Most folks have been really friendly and just seem happy that we're having a good time! I think we'll definitely check out Rosa's, and reserve judgement on the other two. After all, it's not like Chicago is short of great live blues venues!

Anyone here go to Artis or Lee's regularly... who can offer an opinion re my original question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago