Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the truck ban stay or go?
The food truck ban stays 1 10.00%
The food truck ban needs to be lifted 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am aware of the gourmet food trucks in LA... I am just not sure if that is a good thing to be tweeting about where you are going to be that day then have everybody drive there...
Who says they are going to drive there? I'd probably just want to know what truck was close by so I can walk over and get lunch or dinner.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
News on the mobile food truck issue:

"Every dollar I lose in sales to a food truck down the street costs me 50 cents in profit," said Dan Rosenthal, owner of Sopraffina Marketcaffe and Trattoria No. 10 restaurants. "It doesn't take a lot of decline in sales for restaurants to go out of business, particularly in this economy."

Ordinance Turns Restaurant Owners' Stomachs | NBC Chicago

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. It's people like this that need to go out of business. I'll have a drink to that if they do.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
News on the mobile food truck issue:

"Every dollar I lose in sales to a food truck down the street costs me 50 cents in profit," said Dan Rosenthal, owner of Sopraffina Marketcaffe and Trattoria No. 10 restaurants. "It doesn't take a lot of decline in sales for restaurants to go out of business, particularly in this economy."

Ordinance Turns Restaurant Owners' Stomachs | NBC Chicago

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. It's people like this that need to go out of business. I'll have a drink to that if they do.
I saw that on WindyCitizen. I especially agreed with the one comment there - if a sit down steakhouse has problems competing with a food truck, something is seriously amiss.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
A bit more news:

"an ordinance to allow them on the streets of Chicago has been placed on the back burner until after the mayoral election. Meantime, Evanston has moved forward with legalization of the trucks, so CBS 2’s Vince Gerasole took a look at how they work."

Hot Food Trucks On Back Burner In Chicago « CBS Chicago

Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM

109 posts, read 204,696 times
Why not?

For one thing, I can tell you from firsthand experience in L.A. that due to the dynamic location nature of these mobile businesses, unforeseen problems can come about due to the fact that if it locates in a public space, that space wasn't well designed to handle hoards of folks coming to visit the business. Vehicular and foot traffic issues can easily become an issue. Trash on the street and loitering are more likely to result when these businesses drop temporary anchor.

Secondly, it's more difficult to regulate a mobile business than it is to regulate a fixed one. This includes the sanitary and legal realm. These trucks can literally get away from the law.

It's not in the best interest of a community to have businesses operate which have no vested interest other than an occasional parking space. A business which by its very nature is fixed will have more incentive to serve the neighborhood by which it is a part of. Food trucks are simply not subject to the same set of conditions by which fixed businesses must abide by.

On the other hand, it is possible that an under-served community could benefit from a gourmet food truck bringing commerce among other things to the area. My experience in L.A. is that they don't locate in under-served areas but rather business parks, mixed-use and high-traffic commercial areas.

I think the city of Chicago has good reason to approach this with caution. If they are to allow it, it would be in the best interest of the city to set some specific conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago