Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,348,417 times

Advertisements

You have learned much from reading scripture about the social conditions during the time when Jesus was on Earth as well as about the man and his ministry. If it was possible, and you were given a heavenly choice, would you leave your modern life behind (that includes your family and friends, modern conveniences, modern medicine, etc.) and return back to where you could be one of his followers and listen, observe, learn and follow him every day? The advantage would be that you could hear "the word" directly from him, and who knows, maybe even have some direct contact. Do you think you could forsake it all to be near him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,222,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
You have learned much from reading scripture about the social conditions during the time when Jesus was on Earth as well as about the man and his ministry. If it was possible, and you were given a heavenly choice, would you leave your modern life behind (that includes your family and friends, modern conveniences, modern medicine, etc.) and return back to where you could be one of his followers and listen, observe, learn and follow him every day? The advantage would be that you could hear "the word" directly from him, and who knows, maybe even have some direct contact. Do you think you could forsake it all to be near him?
Absolutely....I would leave all behind in a hot minute to meet Jesus face to face!!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
Not me Jesus Spirit brings me as close to Jesus to know and be with him and pray to him all day, given then distractions in the life ........ For going back to the Time of Jesus Christ with the Roman occupation of Israel would be a horrable time and place that he came, for understanding of the martyrs of his time and after, the religous subjection of the country of Israel in that time.....The Roman tax that no-one could afford that even took down the Romans three hundred years later in over inflation in economic collapes...... On the other side the Martyrs of the end time to come, will be many times worse that the martyrs of Rome and Islam domination in the 600s.....I see the martyrs purpose has ended, and the blood of Jesus is the the only blood that will save any more people, it is a finished work and the martyrs blood is only be in vain and not very prudent in the Spirit of Christ Jesus said; pray for your enemies and not condemn them or Judge them, only Judge yourself...... See Jesus will only come to the earth at a time of apostacy, at the time of the First coming the people were not prepared, at the second- coming to come people will not be prepared, at the Judgement day of his third coming to come, people will not be prepared....... do you believe you may be prepared at those times?.......

Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM

987 posts, read 1,120,821 times
I would not choose to go back to that time. People didn't really understand while He walked among Him who he was. I'm sure they felt a great love from him and considered Him very wise, but I think I like knowing and understanding His words better than they did. And I do have His spirit with me.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I would not choose to go back to that time. People didn't really understand while He walked among Him who he was.
Wise observation SW - and why should we seek what is in the past, when the present is alive and well?

In the Gospels we have the Lord Jesus as He walked the earth. We see Him not only in His marvelous ministry of teaching and miracles, we see Him in His humanity, in His weakness, in His humiliation, in His reproach, in His rejection, in His suffering, and in His death. But the Gospels aimed at the resurrection and ascension. The last view we have of Jesus in the Gospels is of Him ascending in a cloud, and He was received out of their sight.

What happened after that? That is where the book of Revelation begins - it is the unveiling of Jesus Christ as He is! We don’t need a revelation of Jesus as He was. That is history. That story is chronicled in the Gospels and has been trumpeted by the church systems for two thousand years. That Jesus is forever gone, never to walk the paths of earth again. "Yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth (from this time on) know we Him no more" (II Cor 5:16). What we need is a revelation of the present glory of Jesus Christ! Where is Jesus now? What is He doing now? What is He like now? Revelation begins right at the beginning with Jesus alive, Jesus incorruptible and immortal, Jesus ascended, Jesus glorified, Jesus crowned, Jesus enthroned, Jesus formed in His body, Jesus reigning in and through His many brethren, Jesus manifested, revealed, and unveiled in His people.

Where there is a Head, there is also a body – that’s what the Lord is assembling in this age.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 PM

162 posts, read 212,458 times
I have Jesus now in His written Word, and I can't wait to see Him face to face when the Bride is raised with Him in glory.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
I have Jesus now in His written Word, and I can't wait to see Him face to face when the Bride is raised with Him in glory.
Then you don't actually have Him. What is "written in ink" is not to be relied upon solely because it is "dead letters" covered with the veil of ignorance . . . and the "letter killeth." We should be following what has been "written in our hearts" and interpreted for us by the "Holy Spirit within" in accord with the TRUE NATURE of God as revealed in the life and example of the LIVING Christ . . . (using the "mind of Christ") . . . because the Spirit gives eternal life. IF you do NOT rely on the living Christ . . . you are acting as though Jesus is NOT here with us TODAY . . . He is.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then you don't actually have Him. What is "written in ink" is not to be relied upon solely because it is "dead letters" covered with the veil of ignorance . . . and the "letter killeth." We should be following what has been "written in our hearts" and interpreted for us by the "Holy Spirit within" in accord with the TRUE NATURE of God as revealed in the life and example of the LIVING Christ . . . (using the "mind of Christ") . . . because the Spirit gives eternal life. IF you do NOT rely on the living Christ . . . you are acting as though Jesus is NOT here with us TODAY . . . He is.
So very true - every believer should seek that God would open his eyes to see the glorious Christ of God as He is. The sad truth is that the hope of the Christians in the church systems today is to again see Christ as He was. They cannot conceive that they can see Him, that they can look upon His face, unless they see the form of the man who walked the shores of Galilee.

When Jesus walked the earth He called twelve men to be His disciples. They followed Him, heard His teachings, saw the signs and wonders, and enjoyed communion with Him as no other man or woman on earth. Yet Jesus said to these men, "No man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal Him" (Mat. 11:27). Surely these men knew the Son - no, not at all! These men knew Jesus, but they did not know the Son of God. Even in the days of His flesh He could only be known after the Spirit! To know Jesus after the flesh did not qualify as knowing Him at all. One could walk with Him, talk with Him, eat with Him, share His most intimate human experiences, and yet never know Him.

It was many years afterward that one of these disciples, John the beloved, was granted the revelation of Jesus Christ. Only then did John truly see Him as He is.

This revelation doesn’t come out of the manger, from the shores of Galilee, from the resurrected One who appeared for forty days to His astonished disciples, or from the pages of a book. A mere glimpse of this revelation came to Peter one day when Jesus asked, "Whom do men say that I, the Son of man, am?" And Peter replied out of an illumination that burst forth from his spirit, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God!" In that one brief moment the veil came off of Peter’s mind and he saw the man in front of him as He actually is. He glimpsed in that inspired moment the glory of His sonship in all that it means. It was A REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
heresy.

the jesus you worship is pantheistic/panentheistic. you claim Christ is within all as some inner light. you dismiss the Holy Word of God as some relic, and you do this to your own condemnation. God communicates with us through His written Word, which is perfect in every way and divinely inspired, not through new revelations or mystical subjective experiences.

you seek a god of emotional feelings. My God teaches me through His Word and gives me discernment and conviction by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit transforms me by renewing my mind and conforming me to the image of Christ. I am being sanctified by His work within me indeed, and the blueprint of my walk is found with the Word of God that He authored Himself.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So very true - every believer should seek that God would open his eyes to see the glorious Christ of God as He is. The sad truth is that the hope of the Christians in the church systems today is to again see Christ as He was. They cannot conceive that they can see Him, that they can look upon His face, unless they see the form of the man who walked the shores of Galilee.

When Jesus walked the earth He called twelve men to be His disciples. They followed Him, heard His teachings, saw the signs and wonders, and enjoyed communion with Him as no other man or woman on earth. Yet Jesus said to these men, "No man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal Him" (Mat. 11:27). Surely these men knew the Son - no, not at all! These men knew Jesus, but they did not know the Son of God. Even in the days of His flesh He could only be known after the Spirit! To know Jesus after the flesh did not qualify as knowing Him at all. One could walk with Him, talk with Him, eat with Him, share His most intimate human experiences, and yet never know Him.

It was many years afterward that one of these disciples, John the beloved, was granted the revelation of Jesus Christ. Only then did John truly see Him as He is.

This revelation doesn’t come out of the manger, from the shores of Galilee, from the resurrected One who appeared for forty days to His astonished disciples, or from the pages of a book. A mere glimpse of this revelation came to Peter one day when Jesus asked, "Whom do men say that I, the Son of man, am?" And Peter replied out of an illumination that burst forth from his spirit, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God!" In that one brief moment the veil came off of Peter’s mind and he saw the man in front of him as He actually is. He glimpsed in that inspired moment the glory of His sonship in all that it means. It was A REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST!

you need to study the book of 1 John where he refutes the claims of gnostics like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity