Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're no different from anybody else. Most people basically start out accepting whatever they've been taught by their parents and at church. It's only when we start to question things we "know" in light of some of the new things we're exposed to that we realize that maybe some of what we "know" is not quite accurate. I think it's important that we embrace all of the new knowledge we get while holding fast to our basic faith that God is the creator of our universe. It's not necessary to reject God in favor of science. We don't have to throw out the baby with the bath water.

I once read a reply to a letter to the editor in my town's local newspaper that I cut out because it made so much sense to me. I'm going to post it in hopes that it may help you resolve some of the issues you've encountered recently. Here it is:

In response to much of the rhetoric we have seen lately concerning creation and evolution, I don't understand why it is so difficult for some people to believe that God is the greatest scientist in the universe but that He could not explain some of His high-tech processes to people who thought a fig leaf was high tech. Even if He could show Adam the whole truth, how could Adam write that down in terms that the rest of the world would understand without a few thousand years of education?

How do you explain to your children how a gasoline engine works or where rain comes from? Is it possible that you answer this never-ending flow of curiosity with 'not quite accurate answers' which are in terms your children will understand?

When God told Adam that he was created from the dust in one day, is it not possible that this answer was His 'not totally accurate explanation' in terms that Adam would understand? How would you explain genetics and millenniums to a man whose first and greatest creation was disposable underwear harvested from the same tree his food was harvested from?

God didn't just give us a body; He gave us a brain and with that, a fair
share of curiosity. He knew that knowledge is an eternal progression so He gave us the tools need to eternally ask and learn the answers to all of life's questions. Line upon line and precept upon precept.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the Creator of the laws of the universe must also be His nature live by the laws He has set for us. If not, then He would not have commanded us to 'Become as I am.' If you doubt this, then I challenge you to explain microscopic living organisms or genetic bluepinrts to your 5-year-old. No short cuts, though, just the science.

My belief is that when science and religion appear to be at odds with each other, it is because we simply don't have all the facts. God hasn't yet revealed all of His secrets to us and science hasn't yet discovered a great many things. When all is said and done, I believe that they will mesh perfectly and that all of the issues we run into now, such as the age of the earth and the evolution of the various lifeforms here on the earth, will be resolved to our satisfaction. We know that God made the world and created all life on it. We just don't know exactly how or how long it took Him. Furthermore, we don't need to know. Our salvation certainly doesn't hinge on an understanding of these things. As a noted Christian scientist once said, "Animals seem pretty wonderful to me. I'd be content to discover that I share a common heritage with them, so long as God is at the controls."
This is nothing but pure SPECULATION and to declare otherwise is plain arrogance and ignorance on our part. The "TRUTH" is WE DON'T REALLY "KNOW" ANYTHING ABOUT THE BEGINNING FOR A FACT....we speculate, we conjecture and we hope but we really don't "KNOW" without a doubt. If believers could simply admit this fact and say....WE DON'T KNOW....I think they would receive a lot more respect. What is so wrong about admitting that WE DON'T KNOW HOW IT ALL BEGAN???

I do believe that one day science will discover our beginning and then we will "KNOW THE FACTS"...but I also believe we are a long way off from this discovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaisj View Post
. (I am a sociology major) During my research, I found an article about the Catholic church admitting that they altered the book of Genesis to show that the world was created in 7 days. I have been praying and thinking and reading scripture trying to understand the reasons for this.
I am not Catholic but I know that they have had a large influence in Chistianity today. I was disturbed and hurt after reading this article but at the same time I was relieved because this has been an issue in my marriage. I understand evolution but I have always BELIEVED in Genesis.
My faith has never been shaken this way. Please share your thoughts and help me to understand. Is it possible that evolution is real and that it is God's hand upon it?
Thank you for your input
First of all, I am not sure of your source concerning the Catholic Church but it is impossible for them to have been the originators of the Genesis account. You see, the Catholic church came into existence many many years after Genesis was written. The Hebrew Scriptures and Greek translation of those Greek Scriptures (the Septuagint) predate the Catholic Church by over a thousand years.

By the way, the earth was not created in 7 days. The earth was restored in 6 days and on the 7th God stopped.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM

13 posts, read 49,000 times
Thank you for all of your answers. I first came accross this at Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible - Times Online

I have been praying a lot for answers on this subject and asking God to show me the truth. I have not been sleeping well the last few days because I have been having dreams that are only of my bible. Funny, he keeps showing me the bible that I have had for about 14 years that my grandmother found at a garage sale. It has been so special that she thought of me when she came accross it. It is engraved with someone elses name and is highlighted all through out it. She has 27 grandchildren and for some reason this one is for me. I believe that God is telling me that my answer is there. Here is what I found in scripture that is helping me have faith in Him and all that he has done.
Philippians 3:13-14
13 Bretheren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those thingswhich are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Ecclesiastes 3:11
He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God has done from beginning to end.

And already highlighted in my beautifully used bible, is
Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Again, thank you and bless you all for your help. I will trust that God will show me the truth.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaisj View Post
I have always had a lot of faith in God and the scripture that He has provided. I have been taught not to argue with the bible and that it should be taken literally. I have lately been trying to reach out to Him more by reading His word and praying. Remembering to glorify him throughout the day. As I am doing this, I feel that my eyes are opening and I am able to see a wider spectrum of things.
I am sorry, I will just get to the point. My husband has just graduated as a biologist and I helped him with a paper on evolution. My job was to study the social aspects of Charles Darwin's life. (I am a sociology major) During my research, I found an article about the Catholic church admitting that they altered the book of Genesis to show that the world was created in 7 days. I have been praying and thinking and reading scripture trying to understand the reasons for this.
I am not Catholic but I know that they have had a large influence in Chistianity today. I was disturbed and hurt after reading this article but at the same time I was relieved because this has been an issue in my marriage. I understand evolution but I have always BELIEVED in Genesis.
My faith has never been shaken this way. Please share your thoughts and help me to understand. Is it possible that evolution is real and that it is God's hand upon it?
Thank you for your input
You didn't do very much research. We have many remains of Genesis that predate the Catholic Church.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
This is nothing but pure SPECULATION and to declare otherwise is plain arrogance and ignorance on our part. The "TRUTH" is WE DON'T REALLY "KNOW" ANYTHING ABOUT THE BEGINNING FOR A FACT....we speculate, we conjecture and we hope but we really don't "KNOW" without a doubt. If believers could simply admit this fact and say....WE DON'T KNOW....I think they would receive a lot more respect. What is so wrong about admitting that WE DON'T KNOW HOW IT ALL BEGAN???

I do believe that one day science will discover our beginning and then we will "KNOW THE FACTS"...but I also believe we are a long way off from this discovery.
Okay, so I'm arrogant and ignorant. Now that we have that out of the way...

When I say, "we all," I am referring to Christians, not to atheists. When I use the word "know" in this context, I do not mean to imply a factual knowledge that can be proven. I use the word to mean that we "are convinced." It would be entirely accurate to say that Christians are convinced that God created the world and all life on it. Maybe we're wrong, but I don't think so. Speaking strictly for myself, it would not convey the depth of my conviction to merely say, "I believe." I say, "I know" as a way of saying that this is something I am convinced of. Sorry if my post offended you.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-22-2010 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
By the way, the earth was not created in 7 days. The earth was restored in 6 days and on the 7th God stopped.
Restored from what?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Restored from what?
I'm not sure what Eusebius was getting at, but the Bible does say that God told Adam and Eve to multiply and to replenish the earth. "Replenish" means to make full or complete again; to repeople.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Okay, so I'm arrogant and ignorant. Now that we have that out of the way...
We have been meaning to talk to you about that! LOL.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,825 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what Eusebius was getting at, but the Bible does say that God told Adam and Eve to multiply and to replenish the earth. "Replenish" means to make full or complete again; to repeople.
Repeople?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Repeople?
LOL. I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but that's what my Webster's Unabridged Dictionary said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity