Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Think about it, if anyone but God tortured the vast majority of humankind they would be considered evil, but if God does it he has a right to do it. My question is, doesn't this thereotically mean God could 'get away' with anything and still be considered good? I agree though. Who are we to question him? But if that be true, there's no intrinsic value in mercy. Mercy is what then; giving our enemies on earth a little mercy before they die and receive no mercy at all? Wouldn't it be funny if Jesus said to be merciful to your enemies, ONLY FOR HIM TO SHOW NO MERCY FOR THEM WHATSOEVER? Jesus said to be patient with those who hurt you. Who could possibly hurt Jesus/God, yet God wants to enact everlasting vengeance on your souls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Think about it, if anyone but God tortured the vast majority of humankind they would be considered evil, but if God does it he has a right to do it. My question is, doesn't this thereotically mean God could 'get away' with anything and still be considered good? I agree though. Who are we to question him? But if that be true, there's no intrinsic value in mercy. Mercy is what then; giving our enemies on earth a little mercy before they die and receive no mercy at all? Wouldn't it be funny if Jesus said to be merciful to your enemies, ONLY FOR HIM TO SHOW NO MERCY FOR THEM WHATSOEVER? Jesus said to be patient with those who hurt you. Who could possibly hurt Jesus/God, yet God wants to enact everlasting vengeance on your souls?
How terribly reasonable of you. You can't use reason when talking about God, you know. Or as Martin Zender put it, you basically need to check your brain in the foyer coat room before you can sit through the average church sermon. By all means, do NOT take your reasonable mind into the "sanctuary" with you. It will only cause trouble.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good post Trimac

Wait for someone to quote this at you

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts

Not understanding what it really means .

Here's a clue to it , the clue is in the bolded words

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Mr5150 runs out the door screaming:

NOT ANOTHER UNIVERSALIST THREAD!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Good post Trimac

Wait for someone to quote this at you

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts

Not understanding what it really means .

Here's a clue to it , the clue is in the bolded words

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
God is good. I'm so glad He is!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Don't ferget yer cheez

Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
The idea that God is good simply because he is God is a concept that is exploited in order to rationalize certain doctrinal positions as having validity when in reality they do not.

Once someone makes that assertion, then there is really no reason attached to an argument against it. This is actually what makes it false.

When someone believes that God allows any of his creation to be lost forever they can feel better about it saying that we cannot understand God, so therefor whatever God does is righteous.

When someone believes that God created human beings for the sole purpoase of damning them to hell then they can feel better about it by saying that we cannot understand God and if God chose to damn every single human being he ever created, then he is still righteous.

When someone believes it was for Gods good purpose to plan a child rape and in fact controlled the person who raped the child because it was for some good purpose they can say that whatever God does is beyond our understanding and therefore whatever God does is righteous,

Fact is the above scenarios are real beliefs of people right here in this forum and they have no idea what they are talking about.

It is possible to know what God will and will not do and to know what God can and cannot do and it is that knowledge that we learn to know that God is Good.

Fact is God could be evil and just because this God calls himself Good does not make it so, it would only mean we were subject to an evil God and there wouldn't be any thing anyone could do about it.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:

So I guess you're over your attitude, "I am learning a lot about Universalism on this board. Thanks! Good to gain knowledge. "

Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
So I guess you're over your attitude, "I am learning a lot about Universalism on this board. Thanks! Good to gain knowledge. "
I was just being funny. I think I've learned all I need to know about Universalism. I understand it. But I have grown tired of all of the UR threads.

God's truth will be known re UR. In the meantime, we have our opinions.

I think I'm right about UR, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
I was just being funny. I think I've learned all I need to know about Universalism. I understand it. But I have grown tired of all of the UR threads.

God's truth will be known re UR. In the meantime, we have our opinions.

I think I'm right about UR, but I could be wrong.
Well, I must say I completely understand because when I believed in ET, no amount of learning about UR or reading others' opinions would have changed my mind. In fact, I had never heard of Christian Universalism in my whole life when I began to feel it in my heart. I know some don't like to hear it, but I truly believe the Holy Spirit revealed it to me when I cried out to God and asked Him what it was I was supposed to do to keep people from burning in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity