Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times

Advertisements

...Just a bit of an aside here, folk, along with being a dopey question, but for those of you who have (or havent, like June) flown nationally since 9/11, just how big a deal is this??? I've heard six different horror stories from six different people...What I can and can't carry on, etc....

Am only going from Boston to Nashville, with a four hour stop-over in Detroit. Heaven forbid I not have my laptop to moderate from Detroit! What the heck else does one do for four hours, I ask you?

Seriously, as someone who hasn't flown in ages, I am thinking I'd rather stay home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...Just a bit of an aside here, folk, along with being a dopey question, but for those of you who have (or havent, like June) flown nationally since 9/11, just how big a deal is this??? I've heard six different horror stories from six different people...What I can and can't carry on, etc....

Am only going from Boston to Nashville, with a four hour stop-over in Detroit. Heaven forbid I not have my laptop to moderate from Detroit! What the heck else does one do for four hours, I ask you?

Seriously, as someone who hasn't flown in ages, I am thinking I'd rather stay home!
As someone who has flown hundreds of times (literally - hundreds of times) since 9/11 - it's a pain in the behind but it's not unbearable. You can have your laptop with you. You just have to take it out of the bag and put it through the scanner by itself when you go through customs. You can have liquids but they have to be in containers less than 3 ounces and you have to put them in a plastic baggy to go through security. But you can't carry water or drinks with you. You have to purchase them once you are through security. I'm pretty sure you cannot have matches or a lighter on you or in your bags (sorry!) as well as an scissors or firearms, etc. You also have to take off your shoes and any coats, accessories, and whatnot when you go through security. You can look online - I'm sure they have a list of rules and stuff. I wouldn't say it's horrendous - but it's definitely very, very annoying.

You'll be fine and you can definitely have your laptop! When are you going? Have a great trip!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
As someone who has flown hundreds of times (literally - hundreds of times) since 9/11 - it's a pain in the behind but it's not unbearable. You can have your laptop with you. You just have to take it out of the bag and put it through the scanner by itself when you go through customs. You can have liquids but they have to be in containers less than 3 ounces and you have to put them in a plastic baggy to go through security. But you can't carry water or drinks with you. You have to purchase them once you are through security. I'm pretty sure you cannot have matches or a lighter on you or in your bags (sorry!) as well as an scissors or firearms, etc. You also have to take off your shoes and any coats, accessories, and whatnot when you go through security. You can look online - I'm sure they have a list of rules and stuff. I wouldn't say it's horrendous - but it's definitely very, very annoying.

You'll be fine and you can definitely have your laptop! When are you going? Have a great trip!!!
Thank you soooo much for your info, Dewdrop! I tried calling the airport today, but that was a lesson in futility given the weather we've had up here...

Everything you said seems to be simple enough, aside from the "fire arms" part. (Moderating will do that to a person after a while!) I think I should be okay: my only "carry ons" are my tote bag loaded with books, and my laptop. (Which I am soooooo relieved I can take on board with me!

For what it's worth, one of my friends called me tonight (at 11:00) to tell me about metal and going through the scanners. Told me not to wear any under wire bras...Oh, like I'm gunna run out and find a sports bra at 11:00 for a flight to friggin' Nashville? I'll go for the full body search, first, provided the searcher is good looking!

Thanks again for your tips/info, and know June loves ya for the tips!

Take gentle under wire care!

Last edited by june 7th; 12-29-2010 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,400,932 times
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.... the grinch visited me this year by stealing our mail a few days prior to Christmas and then getting a computer virus on the 24th... just got my puter back today. Aside from that all was great.

June...Dewdrop summed it up great.... I always take my laptop as carry on and they always ask me to take it out of the laptop bag. On my last trip to Toronto the lady went through my little make-up bag that I have in my purse... she opened up my lipsticks and all.....

Good Luck with your trip...... are you trying to escape the snow ?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Good Luck with your trip...... are you trying to escape the snow ?
Greetings, all! (Or should I say "greetings from wonderful Detroit!") June's got a lay-over en route to Nashville, so here she is in an internet cafe! (Can't be away from my computer for too long or withdrawal sets in!)

Kat, in answer to your question I am visiting a friend of mine who moved to Nashville. We worked at the same agency, and I've not seen her in a while...June certainly hopes that she is escaping the temperatures from up north, as it was in the 20's when she left home this morning. --Heard that Nashville is somewhere around 50 and 60 degrees, so June's thinking "bikini weather~!" LOL!

Hope everyone is well and sufficiently recovered from the Holiday!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Looking forward to hearing from "our June in Country Music land". I hope she gets to see a couple shows. I love Nashville but hate the summertime traffic..

One year, many decades ago, I was pulling a big bass boat behind our station wagon through the heart of town and H was yelling at me about my driving like most men do

Next red light, I calmly and quietly opened my door and got in the back seat with the 4 kids. I think he is still mad about that one

Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Looking forward to hearing from "our June in Country Music land".
Oh dear...June's never been a particularly big fan of 'country music!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue
One year, many decades ago, I was pulling a big bass boat behind our station wagon through the heart of town and H was yelling at me about my driving like most men do

Next red light, I calmly and quietly opened my door and got in the back seat with the 4 kids. I think he is still mad about that one
Sometimes a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!.... You go girl!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM

Now June, I happen to know that there is at least one "sweet dear man" in Nashville who will be glad to pick a couple country tunes on one of his collector guitars for you

Hmm, there is another one near Memphis who may come and show you how to line dance.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM

PS
June, I could drive down there and bring this guy from Pikeville to teach you how to "flat foot" dance also called clogging in the city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6qc...eature=related

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

I've flown a handful of times since 9/11.

No more nail clippers, no liquid over 3oz., and longer lines.
Otherwise, pretty much the same.
If I can drive in 8+/- hours, I'd rather drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity