Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 05:44 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
I have far worse problems with Spanish. I'm not anywhere close to fluent, but most of my Mexican friends in KY can understand me. In Guatemala, It's another story. Sometimes they give me strange looks. Apparently, I'm using slang from the area of Mexico that most of my friends are from, and I've picked up a little accent. I don't know Spanish well enough to be able to tell the difference. They also like to teach me words that shouldn't be used in polite company without telling me, because they think that it's hysterical to hear the preacher burn people's ears. (I always check Google translate now when they teach me something new.)

The worst error ever:
I'm very fond of a certain Salvadorian dish, but the name is slang for a female body part in Guatemala. No one told me this.
After church one day in Guatemala, I was talking about how much I like pupusas, and how much I wanted to go get some. Everyone was looking at me funny, except the pastor, who was laughing his arse off. He pulled me aside later and informed me of what I was saying.

DOH!
Hahaha, that is a good story!

My daughter's former horseback riding instructor told us a similar story. She spent much of her life in Chile because her parents were diplomats, and then she lived for a while in Argentina, where she gave riding lessons.

She had a bunch of 13-year-old girls she was giving lessons to, and one day after explaining something to them, she said (she thought) "do you understand?"

The girls all just giggled, and so she repeated herself and they continued to giggle. Finally another woman working there pulled her aside and informed her that in that Argentinian region's dialect, she was not asking if they understood. She was asking if they have sex.

I wish I knew Spanish. I can read more of it than I can speak, mostly from years of reading Spanish-language ads while riding on the NYC subway and figuring out what the words mean. I wouldn't be sure how to pronounce them all, though.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 PM

421 posts, read 153,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, that is a good story!

My daughter's former horseback riding instructor told us a similar story. She spent much of her life in Chile because her parents were diplomats, and then she lived for a while in Argentina, where she gave riding lessons.

She had a bunch of 13-year-old girls she was giving lessons to, and one day after explaining something to them, she said (she thought) "do you understand?"

The girls all just giggled, and so she repeated herself and they continued to giggle. Finally another woman working there pulled her aside and informed her that in that Argentinian region's dialect, she was not asking if they understood. She was asking if they have sex.

I wish I knew Spanish. I can read more of it than I can speak, mostly from years of reading Spanish-language ads while riding on the NYC subway and figuring out what the words mean. I wouldn't be sure how to pronounce them all, though.
Lol, That's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Lol, That's great.
I CAN order a beer in Spanish, though! It's the important things that matter.

Just as most of the French I know are food words.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:

Two essential Spanish sentences: un cervesa por favor and donde esta el banno

Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 PM

421 posts, read 153,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Two essential Spanish sentences: un cervesa por favor and donde esta el banno
Sadly, we don't get much beer consumed on our mission trips. My church people aren't tea totalers, but we take a lot of other people with us, and we don't want to get anyone worked up.

I managed to sneak one in with the senior pastor on the beach in Mexico once, but that's about it.

We do, on occasion, manage to bring back some Zacapa Rum when we go to Zacapa. It's good stuff.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Mensaguy, i agree, there is so many great beers here now, but English Cask Ales can't be matched. You chill English Ales and you ruin them . Other than family that English ale is what i miss. Heading there this weekend for a wedding, so i will have my fair share
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Manchester is 1 hour north of my home town. Staying there for a day on our way back.
Three and a half hours from there right now, blowing the frost off another mug.
I will be in England through the end of the month, heading back on July 31st.

But will be back in England at the end of August, then headed to Germany, again.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Newsflash: the Anti-Christ might be on the very train on which I am riding. There's a guy in the car ranting and saying so. Interspersed with Bible quotes, of course.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Newsflash: the Anti-Christ might be on the very train on which I am riding. There's a guy in the car ranting and saying so. Interspersed with Bible quotes, of course.
Yet another reason I love the country. The only loons here have feathers.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:

Ein bier bitte! (One beer please in German)

Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Three and a half hours from there right now, blowing the frost off another mug.
I will be in England through the end of the month, heading back on July 31st.

But will be back in England at the end of August, then headed to Germany, again.
Nice Jer! . Had my fair share too. Tried to take it easy so i can still fit in my suit Saturday. It's touch and go though . We are back over again Mid August for a surprise 80th Birthday party for my parents. Going to make it 1 of these days to Germany for a beer festival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity