Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Oh, I was just off for a day -- Thursday.

I am probably just slow, but I never figured out why I was kicked off until I received a note from them saying they would let me back on if I would refrain from writing anything about child discipline. Then I knew!!! I had mentioned child abuse a few times and had written that don't believe in striking children a few times, that that must have upset someone. Whatever. The thing is that I learned a lot over the many years I was there, and the people (even the one who booted me) were nice and fun to correspond with. Whadayado??
What would I do? Do you want to know?

The dialogue below is from Jim Carrey's movie,"Liar, Liar," where he plays the character, Fletcher, who's a complete jerk but cannot tell any more lies because of his son's birthday wish.

Fletcher: LIAR! You know what I am going to do about this?

Other guy
: What?

Fletcher:
Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain 8 hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is **** and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!

So, like Fletcher, I would probably do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh, you poor, poor thing! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!
Personally, I don't think marijuana should be illegal for anyone. It's so easy to get already and it seems to cause less damage than alcohol. I've never tried it myself so I guess I'm not really the best person to have an opinion on the matter - I just don't see why it was singled out. Most of my friends that have smoked pot have not tried any other drugs so I really don't think it is the "gateway" drug. And it can truly help people in pain.
No, it really isn't a gateway drug. True potheads stick with pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Ohhh...I don't know how I missed this particular OP...my heart goes out to you my friend...

I admire your feisty spirit Herefornow...most of the things you've shared on this forum could already break a weaker resolve...yet, you keep on trudging...

If I may ask...how much would an MRI cost without insurance...??? You don't have to answer here...you can DM me if you wish...

From the core...ans
Thanks, ans.

Trudging. Yes, it is getting down to that.

The MRA of the brain and neck was, get this, 6,666 dollars. I remembered because, well, 6,666. I don't remember how much the cervical MRI was. Less than that, I'm sure, but, still.

I'm trying to get disability. We'll see.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 05:42 PM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
Quote:
Funny you mentioned that...I was just thinking of Katjonji in particular...
Me three I wonder where Katjonjj is as well.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

Thanks, ans.

Trudging. Yes, it is getting down to that.

I don't remember how much the cervical MRI was. Less than that, I'm sure, but, still.

Please find out...you'll never know, God uses people as instruments of His "love"...just saying...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
LOL! Fear not: June would rather suffer through the withdrawal from tobacco and nicotine than find herself smoking pot and being stoned!
I don't know that pot would be a solution to quit smoking tobacco. They're two different things. Quitting tobacco can be very hard to quit for many people. Perhaps the most difficult part of it, especially for long time smokers, is breaking the habit of going through all the motions. One of the biggest problems with smoking is the damage to the lungs. Breathing becomes more labored. It''s easy to quickly run out of steam.

It's not easy to do, but you really can quit. If you can manage to get past the 4th day without smoking (I know, easier said than done), you're lungs will have begun to clear out, making any attempts to smoke again sort of painful. You might be tempted to try "just one", but don't give into it or you'll be right back at square one. But if you do, don't put yourself on a guilt trip of failure. Keep trying again.

Just a suggestion that you may have considered or tried. Some people find nicotine patches work, but some have a hard time with it (pounding heart beat, dizziness, etc.). Nicotine gum can help since you can remove it, save it and chew it later. Some people find Chantrix is helpful. I tried that and it caused some creepy feelings for me. The advantage of the nicotine products is that it satisfies the craving while at the same time allow your lungs to improve. If you need to go through the motions of smoking, cut a drinking straw to the size of a cigarette, and use that while using nicotine products.

You can do it June. And I think it's fair to say, you've got plenty of people here willing to provide you with positive support and encouragement to help you get through some of the rough spots.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:

A stoned psychiatrist?? Hee, hee.
Yeah, it would definatley be a sight to behold...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow

I'm actually getting a Green Card for myself. I have cervical stenosis (narrowing of the spinal cord in the neck), spurs on my neck, discs that are collapsing, reversal of the normal spine curvature, and no insurance. My lower back is starting to pinch, it's causing spasms in my legs, and it's making it difficult to sit upright, but I don't have the money to do an MRI of the lower back, so I don't know what's going on in my lower spine. I just filed bankruptcy on all of my medical bills. The pain is intolerable, and I'm tired of taking the pharmaceutical company's drugs.

I say, why in the world is pot illegal for medicinal reasons in so many places?? And, why do the feds even care? Are they protecting the big drug companies? The pharmaceutical companies make BILLIONS off of their man-made drugs, which, in the long run, do a LOT more damage physically, than MJ!! I watched my mom die after taking big pharma's drugs for years. I remember when she started. I tried to get her to stop taking them , but she was just so scared and so full of anxiety, she couldn't stop. Every nasty drug she took gave her a nasty side effect, which meant she had to take MORE of their nasty drugs. In the end, she was spending all morning, practically, just taking drugs.

It's all about the money, I guess.
More on the above, to follow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow

I just want to be able to relax for 5 seconds.

I'm so ashamed.
First off, dear herefornow, if no one has told you lately that you have NOTHING to feel ashamed about, then you need to listen to June: You have NOTHING to be ashamed about! I totally agree with you that marijuana should absolutely be legalized for chronic pain; for that matter, it should just be legalized! As I think Dewdrop mentioned, it's so less "harsh" than alchohol is, and it has been proven to have therapeutic advantages in the treatment of chronic pain, nausea, etc. Here in Massachusetts pot is "legal" inasmuch as they've 'de-criminalized' it and one can walk around with a certain amount of marijuana on their person and not get arrested. June, personally, has never been able to stand the stuff, herself. Pot just makes June paranoid and crazy. Yuck!

~As regards your medical issues, please know that June "hears ya!" For quite some time, June was a "chronic pain patient" due to her having Guillian Barre Syndrome. It was the worst pain she had ever experienced in her life, and couldn't even stand to have the weight of a sheet covering my legs/feet. Wasn't able to walk or stand for the longest time, and spent those years reading all the great works of literature that had somehow escaped June in high school and college. In short, what June is trying to say here is that she realizes how dibilitating chronic pain/health issues can be....June remembers thinking that she would never, ever, be out of pain ever again, and no doubt she has been very lucky....

June wishes that same luck, and sense of hopefullness, to you....Try not to despair, my dear, as you are a very real and vital presence here, to all of us! In short, there are those out here who love and care about you, and in a lot of instances can relate to what you are going through! June hates the politics behind the whole healthcare system, and big pharmaceutical companies, in particular....But nonetheless, if there is any comfort to be derived from the fact that there are those out here who care, then please know that June's words are genuine....

You have more than made June "rethink" her imfamous words:

Take gentle care!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default Qu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

I don't know that pot would be a solution to quit smoking tobacco.
Oh thank God, cuz June can think of nothing that would make her lil ole atheist self resort to posting on the "Prayer Request" thread faster than being stoned 24/7!!! Hell, she'd probably convert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar
cut a drinking straw to the size of a cigarette, and use that while using nicotine products.
It's funny that you should mention the "cutting a drinking straw" thing, as June knew someone who did that one time, when trying to quit....A former colleague of mine did that exact thing, and for six months "smoked" her straw....Until she gave into the pressure, and underwent a major tobacco relapse...June felt so badly for her, as she'd made it through six months, cigarette free, due to that straw.

Note to June self: Buy straws over the weekend!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
The MRA of the brain and neck was, get this, 6,666 dollars. I remembered because, well, 6,666. I don't remember how much the cervical MRI was. Less than that, I'm sure, but, still.

I have periodic MRI scans done to vertebrae in the back of my neck. They're worn out. I had no health insurance which was a big problem. I was quoted $1500 to $2000 for the scan several years ago.

My wife and I travel to Thailand each year, so I decided to see if it could be done there any cheaper. Sure enough, the cost for 2 copies of 4 sheets of film, and the radiologist report was equal to about $188. Again, that's been a few years ago so prices have gone up a bit, but still far lower than in the US. The last scan I had done was about 3 or 4 years ago, and the cost was equal to about $250. It's probably a bit higher now because of the global economic problems.

The scanners are state of the art, and film quality was excellent. I wanted two copies of the film. One to the neurologist in Thailand, and one to provide neurologists and radiologists here in the US. The neurologists here in the US were very impressed with the quality.

If you have medical insurance, it's probably just as well to have it done in the US. Since that wasn't an option for me, I saved a bundle even considering the cost of airfare. We have family over there, so there was no accommodations expense for us.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Oh thank God, cuz June can think of nothing that would make her lil ole atheist self resort to posting on the "Prayer Request" thread faster than being stoned 24/7!!! Hell, she'd probably convert!

It's funny that you should mention the "cutting a drinking straw" thing, as June knew someone who did that one time, when trying to quit....A former colleague of mine did that exact thing, and for six months "smoked" her straw....Until she gave into the pressure, and underwent a major tobacco relapse...June felt so badly for her, as she'd made it through six months, cigarette free, due to that straw.

Note to June self: Buy straws over the weekend!
Speaking of straws...I just remembered something, a friend of mine from Michigan visited two months ago and gave me a smoking kit "SMOKING STICK" premium electronic cigarettes as she has one herself. It is still in my den drawer...can anyone tell me the + versus the - side of it...???

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Please find out...you'll never know, God uses people as instruments of His "love"...just saying...

Quote:
First off, dear herefornow, if no one has told you lately that you have NOTHING to feel ashamed about, then you need to listen to June: You have NOTHING to be ashamed about! I totally agree with you that marijuana should absolutely be legalized for chronic pain; for that matter, it should just be legalized! As I think Dewdrop mentioned, it's so less "harsh" than alchohol is, and it has been proven to have therapeutic advantages in the treatment of chronic pain, nausea, etc. Here in Massachusetts pot is "legal" inasmuch as they've 'de-criminalized' it and one can walk around with a certain amount of marijuana on their person and not get arrested. June, personally, has never been able to stand the stuff, herself. Pot just makes June paranoid and crazy. Yuck!
I'll try and stop feeling ashamed. I know the state isn't going to do much if I have the card. It's the feds that can get nasty about it.

I hope I don't get paranoid. I really don't need that.

Quote:
~As regards your medical issues, please know that June "hears ya!" For quite some time, June was a "chronic pain patient" due to her having Guillian Barre Syndrome. It was the worst pain she had ever experienced in her life, and couldn't even stand to have the weight of a sheet covering my legs/feet. Wasn't able to walk or stand for the longest time, and spent those years reading all the great works of literature that had somehow escaped June in high school and college. In short, what June is trying to say here is that she realizes how dibilitating chronic pain/health issues can be....June remembers thinking that she would never, ever, be out of pain ever again, and no doubt she has been very lucky....
That sounds terrible. The symptoms sound kind of like gout, with the pain from the sheets and all. My husband gets really painful gout in his feet, and I'm pretty sure he's more miserable than me sometimes, but his pain goes away if he eats right.

I have been able to study way more than I would have if I had been healthy. That is one way to look at it.

Quote:
June wishes that same luck, and sense of hopefullness, to you....Try not to despair, my dear, as you are a very real and vital presence here, to all of us! In short, there are those out here who love and care about you, and in a lot of instances can relate to what you are going through!
Aww. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
If you have medical insurance, it's probably just as well to have it done in the US. Since that wasn't an option for me, I saved a bundle even considering the cost of airfare. We have family over there, so there was no accommodations expense for us.
Nope. No insurance. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I can hop a flight to Thailand. I can't imagine sitting still for that long. I guess if I get desperate. There is really nothing I can do even if I do find out what's wrong, though. I'm just self-medicating right now.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh, you poor, poor thing! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!
Personally, I don't think marijuana should be illegal for anyone. It's so easy to get already and it seems to cause less damage than alcohol. I've never tried it myself so I guess I'm not really the best person to have an opinion on the matter - I just don't see why it was singled out. Most of my friends that have smoked pot have not tried any other drugs so I really don't think it is the "gateway" drug. And it can truly help people in pain.
I was just going through the posts again, and I really wanted to thank you for your sympathy! I completely agree with you. I never could understand why the government outlawed pot but not aclohol. Probably, it's because so many politicians like to drink, and they don't want their "brilliant minds" clouded by pot smoke. They also prop up big pharma, and pot is a natural medicine and much better for people than some of the drugs that get shoved down people's throats, so they wouldn't want people to get ahold of it.

Sigh.

I can get healthcare in jail. System is definitely broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity