Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I wanna know what loopholes or what aspects of UR don't make sense to June.

Can you help me out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I read your whole post and I would also like to know what it is about UR that doesn't make sense to you...
June would be more than happy to respond to the above, but is afraid it will have to wait as she is pressed for time and needs to get to her office. She was thinking about this last night, however, and came across the quote, below, which in her mind would somehow seem to reconcile what is a huge, vast discrepency between the two sides of ET v. UR. For those who dislike/disaprove of "The Message" or don't accept it as being 'the bible' June apologizes in advance, but the quote, below, worked well for her:

"I'm praying not only for them
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind --
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they'll be a unified and together as we are --
I in them and you in me.
Then they'll be mature in this oneness,
And give the godless world evidence
That you've sent me adn loved them
In the same way you've loved me." (John 17:20-23)

...Somehow, the above speaks volumes to June, not the least of which saying that this whole divisive issue was somehow addressed in the gospel of John, but June could be attributing something to the above passage that isn't intended; quoting out of context?

Hopefully not....

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June would be more than happy to respond to the above, but is afraid it will have to wait as she is pressed for time and needs to get to her office. She was thinking about this last night, however, and came across the quote, below, which in her mind would somehow seem to reconcile what is a huge, vast discrepency between the two sides of ET v. UR. For those who dislike/disaprove of "The Message" or don't accept it as being 'the bible' June apologizes in advance, but the quote, below, worked well for her:

"I'm praying not only for them
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind --
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they'll be a unified and together as we are --
I in them and you in me.
Then they'll be mature in this oneness,
And give the godless world evidence
That you've sent me adn loved them
In the same way you've loved me." (John 17:20-23)

...Somehow, the above speaks volumes to June, not the least of which saying that this whole divisive issue was somehow addressed in the gospel of John, but June could be attributing something to the above passage that isn't intended; quoting out of context?

Hopefully not....

Take gentle care.
While I think it does speak volumes, I'm still a little confused as to how this doesn't line up with UR. I think we (UR's and ETers) ARE of one heart and mind as Christians who believe in and worship Jesus Christ as Lord. Anything beyond that is, well, debatable. I don't think any of us have it exactly right and anyone who says they do is just wrong. I can understand why June doesn't understand all the debating, though. I'll wait for your response when you have time.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No finn, you do not decide what any answer for me is valid, that is a fact.
Then I assume it is #2.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't have to be on attack mode 24/7 you know.
I did not attack you or anyone else. In fact, the statement above is more of an attack than anything I said. I simply stated my observation that you acknowledge there is something people have to do to help save themselves. The sad part about that is, according to you, some WANT to be born again but can't figure out how to help save themselves.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
While I think it does speak volumes, I'm still a little confused as to how this doesn't line up with UR. I think we (UR's and ETers) ARE of one heart and mind as Christians who believe in and worship Jesus Christ as Lord. Anything beyond that is, well, debatable. I don't think any of us have it exactly right and anyone who says they do is just wrong. I can understand why June doesn't understand all the debating, though. I'll wait for your response when you have time.
I'm praying not only for them (diciples) But also for those who will believe in me Because of them and their witness about me (unbelievers who would find the truth by listening to the diciples preaching).

So, people do not find the truth automatically, and there is no universal salvation, people need to hear and accept the message. Otherwise, why would Jesus send his diciples to the world to spread the message? He sent them so that people would come to Christ when they hear it.

and earlier in the Jesus's prayer he says of believeres:

For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I did not attack you or anyone else. In fact, the statement above is more of an attack than anything I said. I simply stated my observation that you acknowledge there is something people have to do to help save themselves. The sad part about that is, according to you, some WANT to be born again but can't figure out how to help save themselves.
The sad part? Yes, there are millions of people out there who hear the calling, but are not sure what it is. Why do you think the Bible tells believeres to talk to people about the truth? Why did God send his diciples to spread the word? Because God uses people to spread the message to those he is calling. People need to hear it, so they will recognize it and accept it.

And would you mind quit twisting my words please? Thanks. I already clarified it to you that I do not believe people can save themselves, so why do you continue to suggest I am saying that? That is the attack you continue. Again, you are better off defending your own beliefs as opposed to trying to attack mine. It seems it is more important for you to demean Christianity and suggest faults, contradiction and weaknesses in the Bible than to promote your own faith. That is the approach usually taken by anti-Christian atheists. Why are you using it?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:03 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Then I assume it is #2.

Make all the assumptions you like.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
The sad part? Yes, there are millions of people out there who hear the calling, but are not sure what it is. Why do you think the Bible tells believeres to talk to people about the truth? Why did God send his diciples to spread the word? Because God uses people to spread the message to those he is calling. People need to hear it, so they will recognize it and accept it.

And would you mind quit twisting my words please? Thanks. I already clarified it to you that I do not believe people can save themselves, so why do you continue to suggest I am saying that? That is the attack you continue. Again, you are better off defending your own beliefs as opposed to trying to attack mine. It seems it is more important for you to demean Christianity and suggest faults, contradiction and weaknesses in the Bible than to promote your own faith. That is the approach usually taken by anti-Christian atheists. Why are you using it?
There are many reasons that God sent his disciples to spread the word/good news, and that we are to tell people about the truth. One is that if we believe in Him we can know Him, and God has special blessings for believers such as hope, peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control. One of the reasons is not to make sure they find out that many of those they love/loved will burn for eternity in fire, and they will too if they can't figure out what to do to be saved. This is not scriptural.

I didn't twist your words. You said:

"Many want to be born again, but simply haven't taken the steps yet, or don't know what to do."

I said:

"I simply stated my observation that you acknowledge there is something people have to do to help save themselves. The sad part about that is, according to you, some WANT to be born again but can't figure out how to help save themselves."

That's the same thing. If I had twisted what you said, I would have stated that you believe that there is NOTHING someone can do to help save themselves, and God does the saving all by Himself.

It makes no sense for you to say I demean Christianity when I am a Christian. I demean the false doctrine that the just, holy, loving, merciful and almighty God tortures people. There are no weaknesses in the bible. Just misunderstood interpretations, parables, and prophesies that originated with spiritually weak people.

My desire is to defend the character of God. Sometimes defending my beliefs comes with the territory.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Default Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Actually you have shown that you are the one wasting your own time, I can post whatever I like within forum rules in whatever manner I like and I really do not care what you think about them.

You make assumptions that are in your head and certainly nothing that I need to be concerned with.

Might that be a euphamism for, "I'm not up to the challenge of actually answering that question that Dreaming Spires asked?"

Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

Might that be a euphamism for, "I'm not up to the challenge of actually answering that question that Dreaming Spires asked?"

You can think whatever you like about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity