Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 AM

51 posts, read 148,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I condemned it?? I said my congregation would think it was showing off. That's condemnation in your world view? I also think those fundamentalist families that pray out loud in restaurants are showing off too, or at least engaging in a form of exhibitionism I would never do. That is boastful behavior in my view. This is my theory to answer the OP's question - why there are so many fundamentalists in reality shows. I suggested that their particular worship style might have something to do with it. But, I condemn them? Obviously I dislike that particular style of worship, but condemnation? I dislike peas too. What of it?

I've never seen a real river baptism. That might be a very moving experience, in fact I'd like to be present for something like that, such as the way Jesus Himself was baptized. I don't condemn that. How absurd. But that's not how most people I know were baptized. How were you baptized? Just curious. I was sprinkled, but you know what? I felt the brush of the Holy Spirit anyway. I didn't have to be dunked to get that.

P.S. I put up a tree at Christmas and I celebrate Easter. So I guess you can condemn me if you want to.
So because you do not have the courage to glorify God in public you think it is showing off when people who love Jesus do it in public?What sheer hypocrisy.If you do not care about Jesus & cannot be bothered to thank Him publicly when you sit down to eat,Why does it bother you when others choose to do so?You are no better than the ones you throw stones at.I guess when Jesus was praying this He was showing off in John chapter 11:41 & 42) So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me.I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
How about when Jesus publicly gave thanks for food in Mark chapter 8:6He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. When he had taken the seven loaves and given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to set before the people, and they did so. 7They had a few small fish as well; he gave thanks for them also and told the disciples to distribute them.
I guess you would say that Jesus was a big public showoff by your definition.Remember what Jesus said,again found in Mark chapter 8:"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels".
There have been many Christians that have been showboats over the centuries.There were even many who dared to say the very politically incorrect words "Christos Kurios" instead of the politically correct "Kaisar Kurios".How dare they defame the Caesar by publicly proclaiming their Christ to be Lord.How dare they publicly do this!No wonder they were thrown to the lions.I wonder how many "liturgical Christians" would be in that coliseum cheering on the proceedings if that were to happen today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,411,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJoe View Post
So because you do not have the courage to glorify God in public you think it is showing off when people who love Jesus do it in public?What sheer hypocrisy.If you do not care about Jesus & cannot be bothered to thank Him publicly when you sit down to eat,Why does it bother you when others choose to do so?You are no better than the ones you throw stones at.I guess when Jesus was praying this He was showing off in John chapter 11:41 & 42) So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me.I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
How about when Jesus publicly gave thanks for food in Mark chapter 8:6He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. When he had taken the seven loaves and given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to set before the people, and they did so. 7They had a few small fish as well; he gave thanks for them also and told the disciples to distribute them.
I guess you would say that Jesus was a big public showoff by your definition.Remember what Jesus said,again found in Mark chapter 8:"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels".
There have been many Christians that have been showboats over the centuries.There were even many who dared to say the very politically incorrect words "Christos Kurios" instead of the politically correct "Kaisar Kurios".How dare they defame the Caesar by publicly proclaiming their Christ to be Lord.How dare they publicly do this!No wonder they were thrown to the lions.I wonder how many "liturgical Christians" would be in that coliseum cheering on the proceedings if that were to happen today?
Amen. Yes, put the stones down....

Tried to rep you, will two thumbs up suffice?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 PM

697 posts, read 1,067,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJoe View Post
What sheer hypocrisy....
Matthew chapter 6, verses 5-6,
When thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Yes, hypocrisy indeed.

But you and I know that it is not whether you are praying in public or in private that matters - it is sincerity that matters. I personally tend to question the sincerity of prayers when they are made into a public spectacle. Personally, I pray in a private way. That's my way. If you are comfortable praying at street corners or at the table down at the Golden Corral, and you are sincere, then pray away.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,678,421 times
I've noticed they do that a lot at golden corral.I've nothing against it though.it seems to be quite commonplace,at least here it is.

IMO either is ok.I'm a private person myself.I consider it to be a personal preference,as long as it isn't outwardly done for the wrong reasons.if you feel something is showy,then by all means,you have the right to refuse to participate.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:50 PM

51 posts, read 148,291 times
Quote:
Matthew chapter 6, verses 5-6,
When thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Yes, hypocrisy indeed.

But you and I know that it is not whether you are praying in public or in private that matters - it is sincerity that matters. I personally tend to question the sincerity of prayers when they are made into a public spectacle. Personally, I pray in a private way. That's my way. If you are comfortable praying at street corners or at the table down at the Golden Corral, and you are sincere, then pray away.
Matthew7:1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

The problem Smalltown is that you are questioning the intent of their heart.That is none of your business.What would people find if they saw the inside of your heart?I do not bring up the non biblical actions of others until they condemn others...Your words say that you have decided the intent of the hearts of others.Hear what James says about those who judge without mercy. 12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

You have a very harsh & critical judgmental spirit,& I say this by inspecting the fruit of your words(Matthew7:20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them).Why are you so unmerciful to those who have done you no harm?Try being gracious to others,that our Father in Heaven might be gracious to you.

Last edited by DesertJoe; 07-04-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,534,716 times
Quote:
I condemned it?? I said my congregation would think it was showing off. That's condemnation in your world view? I also think those fundamentalist families that pray out loud in restaurants are showing off too, or at least engaging in a form of exhibitionism I would never do. That is boastful behavior in my view. This is my theory to answer the OP's question - why there are so many fundamentalists in reality shows. I suggested that their particular worship style might have something to do with it. But, I condemn them? Obviously I dislike that particular style of worship, but condemnation? I dislike peas too. What of it?

I've never seen a real river baptism. That might be a very moving experience, in fact I'd like to be present for something like that, such as the way Jesus Himself was baptized. I don't condemn that. How absurd. But that's not how most people I know were baptized. How were you baptized? Just curious. I was sprinkled, but you know what? I felt the brush of the Holy Spirit anyway. I didn't have to be dunked to get that.

P.S. I put up a tree at Christmas and I celebrate Easter. So I guess you can condemn me if you want to.
My friend...I can only speak for myself and here's why I don't feel comfortable praying with an audience: It takes away the sincerity of my commune with GOD because I get so focused on making sure I said the "most impressive" words that would make the hearer thinks I'm the role model of "sainthood". Jesus was/ is an exception...because HE IS! For those who can pray in public with sincerity and without distraction...I envy you truly...

As for water Baptism...I believe in baptism by the holy spirit...

Blessings...

Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 AM

11 posts, read 11,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When I define these families as "fundamentalist" it is not a put down nor is it a judgment call on my part.
There are many churches that proudly proclaim that they are "fundamentalist"
The Gosslins attended an Assembly of God Church
The Duggers are some form of independent Baptists that wear long skirts.
The Little people family ( I cannot for the life of me remember their names) attend an independent full gospel church and send their kids to a Christian school.

i also know that they have or had a pastor who made a point of preaching a lot against homosexuality.

I am STILL curious about why so many fundamentalist born again Christians would submit to this type of dog and pony show?
I am beginning to wonder why you care about these families to this extent. There are so many messed up things in this country to think about.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,678,421 times
word,has anyone heard about the new show where the man has 3 wives?? only 1 is legal,but..what on earth...tlc will film anything for a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity