Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:04 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Possibly more controversial saying a person's bipolar doesn't really devalue everything they do. When I was in a manic episode I had some thoughts that I considered brilliant, but here's the kicker many of the doctors also thought they were brilliant. In fact I think a nurse on-call that night told my Mom something like "is this stuff he's saying true?" Having a manic episode did not make me stupid. I was maybe connecting information in strange ways that led to false conclusions, but it doesn't mean it was all wrong. Some of the great artists and scientists did legitimately great work while manic. The problem isn't that it's all false or bad, but that it's not sustainable and the intensity can lead to inappropriate or destructive behaviors. Much of what I said during a manic episode was valid, but the problem was it was delusional in that I was making myself responsible or connected to it. In reality totalitarian ideologies or sex scandals or global economic policies have nothing to do with my personal actions. That my understanding of them might have been pretty good for a 22-year-old, as I was then, doesn't change that.
Enjoyed your whole post Thomas and thanks for sharing. I especially can relate to this part....couldn't have said it better myself. Being manic definitely does not make you stupid and my ideas (which I was actually able to make a reality) were completely brilliant and they just kept coming. It was the most amazing thing ever. And you're right, some of the great artists and scientists were probably having manic episodes that led to unbelievably brilliant work. Thank you so much for putting this into words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You forgot to list the symptoms of depression, which can be just as devastating or worse in some cases than the symptoms of mania. If you're going to talk about something that you have no idea what it is you are talking about, then at least provide the right information. Here is the proper information about symptoms and types:

Symptoms & Types
Bipolar is a complex illness. There are many different symptoms -- and several different types -- of bipolar disorder. The primary symptoms of the disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings. The various types of bipolar disorder range from mild to severe.

Symptoms

Bipolar Symptoms
The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings.
Mania Symptoms
Mania symptoms may include excessive happiness, excitement, irritability, restlessness, increased energy, less need for sleep, racing thoughts, high sex drive, and a tendency to make grand and unattainable plans.
Depression Symptoms
Depression symptoms may include sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of energy, uncontrollable crying, change in appetite causing weight loss or gain, increased need for sleep, difficulty making decisions, and thoughts of death or suicide.

Types

Bipolar Types
There are several types of bipolar disorder; all involve episodes of depression and mania to a degree. They include bipolar I, bipolar II, cyclothymic disorder, mixed bipolar, and rapid-cycling bipolar disorder.
Bipolar I
A person affected by bipolar I disorder has had at least one manic episode in his or her life. A manic episode is a period of abnormally elevated mood, accompanied by abnormal behavior that disrupts life.
Bipolar II
Bipolar II is similar to bipolar I disorder, with moods cycling between high and low over time. However, in bipolar II disorder, the "up" moods never reach full-on mania.
Rapid Cycling
In rapid cycling, a person with bipolar disorder experiences four or more episodes of mania or depression in one year. About 10% to 20% of people with bipolar disorder have rapid cycling.
Mixed Bipolar
In most forms of bipolar disorder, moods alternate between elevated and depressed over time. But with mixed bipolar disorder, a person experiences both mania and depression simultaneously or in rapid sequence.
Cyclothymia
Cyclothymia (cyclothymic disorder) is a relatively mild mood disorder. People with cyclothymic disorder have milder symptoms than in full-blown bipolar disorder.

Complications

Bipolar Disorder Complications
Self-injury, often referred to as cutting, self-mutilation, or self-harm, is an injurious attempt to cope with overpowering negative emotions, such as extreme anger, anxiety, and frustration. It is usually repetitive, not a one-time act.

Warning Signs

Bipolar Warning Signs
When a person's illness follows the classic pattern, diagnosing bipolar disorder is relatively easy. But bipolar disorder can be sneaky. Symptoms can defy the expected manic-depressive sequence.
Emergencies & Suicide Prevention
Suicide is a very real risk for people with bipolar disorder, whether they're in a manic or depressive episode -- 10%-15% of people with bipolar disorder kill themselves. But treatment greatly lowers the risk.

Now, I have already said that I have bipolar disorder and it's Type I. Does that scare you? Are you afraid of me now or do you look at me differently? That's what it does to people who have no clue what bipolar disorder is or what it involves. June has tried her very best to educate everyone about it and she did a fantastic job, she understands as much as anyone can who doesn't have the disorder.

My life has been a living hell and I thank God that I FINALLY got diagnosed at the age of 44 and I now have medication that keeps me at an even keel. Even so, I have fantasies about going off the medication just so I can be manic.....there's nothing like it!! I was superwoman and I could do ANYTHING!! I felt fantastic and on top of the world, but that world quickly came crashing down and four years later I'm still trying to clean up my mess. It's like some other Ilene possessed me and totally screwed up my life and then disappeared and left me with the mess and the depression.

But I miss that euphoria and that "high" that comes with being manic. There's no guarantee that if I went off my meds that I would become manic...I could spiral down into a deep, dark depression and try to commit suicide again. That's right, I said SUICIDE You people have no clue....you can sit in judgment and say I'm not "spiritual" enough and it's all in my head.....and you would be right about the "in my head" part!! LOL! You have no idea what it's like living with this disorder and just let me say.......I thank God for the peace He has given me and I'm better thanks to medication and my relationship with God. They go hand in hand, one doesn't work without the other, not for me anyway. Get it?

I have to be honest and say that I am very offended by some of the comments here and I wish people would not be so quick to judge and educate themselves before they go spouting off about something that they know nothing about. I don't like being on disability because of this....I want to work and make more money but I can't hold down a job. I've probably had over 100 jobs in my working life and I won't go there because I'll end up writing an entire book.

I hid my disorder from C-D folks for a long time but it was evident in my posts....they just thought I was mean and crazy, I suppose. Someone brought up something similar in a thread one time and I went off and the truth came out. Ever since then I've been open and honest about it here and in real life....it's the only way to be and I'm not ashamed of it anymore. It is what it is. So judge me and others all you want, makes no difference in my life because I know I am more sane than most people. There is something wrong with EVERYONE when it comes to mental issues whether they see it or admit it or not. I am proud of myself for admitting it and dealing with it the way that I have. My life is so much better now because of the meds and God and it's what works for me.
May the LORD keep you under his loving and protective wings always Ilene...

Sincerely!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
May the LORD keep you under his loving and protective wings always Ilene...

Sincerely!
Thank you Ans57 and thank you for understanding!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
But we will have to "agree to disagree" yet once again.
June loves a peaceful resolution of "agreeing to disagree." It works for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Spires
And I do suspect that we will remain at "permanent loggerheads."
What an odd statement. However, if that is how you feel....

Take gentle care.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Take gentle care.
You too, Juno.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 AM

264 posts, read 493,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Can God cure it? Of course. With God all things are possible. Should someone who is bipolar use medication? Absolutely.

Aside from all the bickering, this simple answer will do 100%

Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default As the saying goes, "All's fair in love and war."

In June, being June, having the tendency to think a lot --if not too much-- found herself pondering the 'opposing sides' view of things in this thread. June is not one to hold grudges, especially when she hasn't a clue why one would exist in the first place! As such, June decided to remain her ever open-minded, think-too-much self, and attempted once again to comprehend Dreaming Spires posture/position/points of view in this debate. (The one she repeatedly said she did not wish to undertake, but did, with gusto!) Hey, ain't nothin' wrong with empassioned points of view, says the June.

So June did something radical. The old adage "Inquiring minds wanna know" is at best a truly helpful one at times. June, in being June, went back and re-read all the posts in this thread that would appear contrary to hers. While the ever peace keeping June would love to understand Dreaming Spire's position here, she respects the fact that leaving things at "agreeing to disagree" is perhaps the only recourse available at the present time. Sometimes, June supposes, the only "meeting of the minds" that is to be had is in the peaceful parting of those minds. Thus, the 'ever-wanting-to-know-and-understand' side of June did something radical:

She re-read the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

Our differences on this subject remain vast--oceanic perhaps.

Is there any "practicing mental health professional" with whom I would engage freely on this topic and share my research? Yes--the one who immediately comes to mind is Bob Fancher, a psychotherapist who wrote a rather obscure book called "Cultures of Healing." It's a fairly long and dense book, but brilliant nonetheless.

And from there, she ordered this:

--Never let it be said that June isn't someone who both strives to understand another's side to an issue, as well as loves the process of doing so.

As well, June simply loves a bargain. She figured what's a buck twenty ($1.20) in the best interests of proving that she is the ever open minded individual that feels "being at loggerheads" is never a productive place to be in.

~She ended up paying more for postage than she did for the book, itself!

Take gentle pursuit-of-knowledge care.

P.S. June considered ordering and sending a copy of the DSM to Dreaming Spires, or even, perhaps, Freud's "Interpretation of Dreams" but she decided it was best not to push her luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

In June, being June, having the tendency to think a lot --if not too much-- found herself pondering the 'opposing sides' view of things in this thread. June is not one to hold grudges, especially when she hasn't a clue why one would exist in the first place! As such, June decided to remain her ever open-minded, think-too-much self, and attempted once again to comprehend Dreaming Spires posture/position/points of view in this debate. (The one she repeatedly said she did not wish to undertake, but did, with gusto!) Hey, ain't nothin' wrong with empassioned points of view, says the June.

So June did something radical. The old adage "Inquiring minds wanna know" is at best a truly helpful one at times. June, in being June, went back and re-read all the posts in this thread that would appear contrary to hers. While the ever peace keeping June would love to understand Dreaming Spire's position here, she respects the fact that leaving things at "agreeing to disagree" is perhaps the only recourse available at the present time. Sometimes, June supposes, the only "meeting of the minds" that is to be had is in the peaceful parting of those minds. Thus, the 'ever-wanting-to-know-and-understand' side of June did something radical:

She re-read the following:

And from there, she ordered this:

--Never let it be said that June isn't someone who both strives to understand another's side to an issue, as well as loves the process of doing so.

As well, June simply loves a bargain. She figured what's a buck twenty ($1.20) in the best interests of proving that she is the ever open minded individual that feels "being at loggerheads" is never a productive place to be in.

~She ended up paying more for postage than she did for the book, itself!

Take gentle pursuit-of-knowledge care.

P.S. June considered ordering and sending a copy of the DSM to Dreaming Spires, or even, perhaps, Freud's "Interpretation of Dreams" but she decided it was best not to push her luck!
Good on you, June. I think you will find the book thought-provoking at the very least. Fancher is one really "smart cookie." I have to admit, it's one of my favorite books--it used to sit on my shelf next to St Augustine's Confessions.

Who knows--considering Fancher's ideas might even prove fruitful in helping you to become better at your job in some small way that benefits others ("continuous process improvement" as they say).

Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM

595 posts, read 761,937 times
All they would have to do is come to this site and we would all be locked up. Especially me and my Preterist ramblings or Mike and his futurist militancy

How about....

All they would have to do is come to this site and we would all be locked up. Especially me and my Preterist ramblings or Mike and his futurist militancy

God gives Gifts as the Holy Spirit determines.
Different strokes for different folks as God determines.

Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a warrior; the LORD is his name.
He fights for me everyday!

Isaiah 58:9
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

I'm Crazy! Crazy for Jesus!

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 PM

30 posts, read 41,371 times
The first site Dreaming Spires listed was created and is currently being maintained by one woman with no more credentials than a fry cook at McDonald's. Anyone can create a site and give their opinion. That doesn't make it fact. Suffice it to say Christian Scholars, the same ones that were a part of the Bibles she's quoting from, have said the Bible does not separate people into physical and mental ailments, to do so was considered heresy and it was rejected back during the writings of the KJB. God has said it was okay for us to treat our sicknesses and that's what I'm going by. I'm sure if He meant mental but not physical, He would have said that.

Here's some info on that first confused individual (PS If you go to her website you see that she had to be seriously looney as a young adult, before mental health became more acceptable, and she had to endure some serious treatments. No wonder she's pissed:

Debbie Dewart & her "partner" Cherry have been involved in ministry since 1989, primarily to abused, abandoned, and neglected children. Cherry is a bunny rabbit who sings Bible songs, and Debbie, a ventriloquist, is her "necessity." The two of them have visited Orangewood Children's Home on Sunday mornings since 1991. Joining other Christian volunteers, Debbie and Cherry bring church and Bible study into this county facility that temporarily houses abused children when they are first removed from their homes. They have also provided Bible studies to some of the toddlers in group homes operated by Olive Crest, a private organization that provides long-term care to abused children in Southern California. Olive Crest's founders are Christians, and their organization includes a strong chaplaincy program for the children under their care.

Debbie and Cherry are currently producing music CD's with original Bible songs for children. The first CD is for Easter, and it's called, "Resurrection Rabbit Celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." More albums are planned... Christmas, Psalm 119, evangelism, praise, and others. Debbie and Cherry hope to donate most (or even all!) of the profits to charities that minister to abused children …and to Gail and Ezra Ministries, too!

Debbie is currently serving as Secretary for Gail and Ezra Ministries, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity