Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here is an example of how in promoting one idea ("god did this and god did that because....") backfires and only create MORE questions than answers.

In 2004 (I think) Hurricane Ivan had just battered the island of Grenada and was on its way toward Jamaica with winds somewhere over 150 miles per hour. Kingston, Jamaica was in its direct path. As a person closely tied to Jamaica (I was born in the Virgin Islands, however), I was following the news about it. I was listening to ministers talking about god was about to judge Jamaica for her sins (one of the world's murder capitals). Frantic callers were calling in losing their minds and echoing the sentiments of the ministers. As a result, there was a cry for people to pray (Jamaicans, like many other black Caribbean folks, are DEEPLY religious and superstitious) for god's mercy.

Well, a strange thing happened. Hurricane Ivan, made a sudden, inexplicable (at the time) dip to the south of Jamaica as opposed to an expected devastating diagonal crossing over the island which caused the hurricane to only give the island a glancing blow. Calls of jubilation rushed into the radio stations as people started crediting the prayers of the people for diverting the storm. Some saw this as a confirmation that Jamaica was a favored nation in "Jah's" (god's) eyes.

So Ivan went on to pummel the Cayman Islands, northwestern Florida and eventually became a super rain storm that flooded the Appalachian areas, heading out to sea, drifted south to Florida, crossed the state, emerged in the Gulf of Mexico and died out in Texas.

Notice how the Jamaicans, through their religious filters, interpreted the storm. When they thought they were goners, it would have been god's doing because of all the bloodshed. When they were spared, it was god's doing because of all the prayers and yet the island went on to have a record breaking year in murders. There was no thought about Grenada, another Caribbean island with just as much praying Christians or even the Cayman Islands. What was THEIR reason for not being spared despite Grenada being far less violent than Jamaica? These are the things people don't think about when they starting talking about this sign and that sign. Nature is nature. It does strange and wondrous things. It cares not whether we are around or not. Man can compound things by his greed and lack of foresight.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
When did the U.S curse Israel? Did I miss the ceremony?
Insane,

I hope you are being facetious--or simply have not been reading the news for some reason. But since you asked, the Obama Administration has "thrown Israel under the bus."

Israel-US relations rocked by 'tectonic rift'
UTV News - Israel-US relations rocked by 'tectonic rift'

ISRAEL AND THE SURRENDER OF THE WEST
Israel and the Surrender of the West - WSJ.com

OBAMA, ISRAEL, AND AMERICAN JEWS
Obama, Israel & American Jews: The Challenge

WEATHERING THE APPROACHING STORM
Caroline Glick :: Weathering the approaching storm

LET'S HOPE THE WORLD IS RIGHT ABOUT 'EVIL ISRAEL'
Dennis Prager

AMERICAN JEWS TURN AGAINST OBAMA
American Jews turn against Obama as Israel rift deepens | The Jewish Chronicle

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Uh....perhaps because the "Bible tells us so"?

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed--Genesis 12:3

Pesky little verse that is.

I suppose if you really wanted to though you could take a big fat black "sharpie" and cross it out.
using this verse is just translating something to suit your own agenda. bless them that bless thee, curse them that cuseth thee...the people in the gulf coast did not curse god. your god is pretty punitive if he punishes innocent people.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Insane,

I hope you are being facetious--or simply have not been reading the news for some reason. But since you asked, the Obama Administration has "thrown Israel under the bus."

Obama, Israel & American Jews: The Challenge

Dennis Prager

has israel never done anything wrong? never coveted and stole their neighbors land? never murdered? do they get a free pass?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
has israel never done anything wrong? never coveted and stole their neighbors land? never murdered? do they get a free pass?
Wow!

You read all those linked editorials in UNDER THREE MINUTES to enable you to formulate your considered and thoughtful questions?

Hell, it took me OVER TEN MINUTES to even compile the damn links!

Why on earth would a superhuman mindpower like that even want to engage with a pedestrian mind like mine on issues of such global importance?

Maybe you should be dialoguing about the Middle East with Marilyn vos Savant instead of wasting your time with an old plonker like me.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Insane,

[url="http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/obama--israel---american-jews--the-challenge-a-symposium-15449?page=all"]Obama, Israel & American Jews: The Challenge[/U

Dennis Prager

Could it be a beast-whor* situation?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, it is irritating. The ultra-right wing zionists are so full of hatred for others. I suppose it never entered their minds that God might be judging the U.S. for all the war crimes we've committed and for supporting Israel as they massacre the Palestinians and treat them like animals or less than animals in a cage. Vipers! Hypocrites!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Wow!

You read all those linked editorials in UNDER THREE MINUTES to enable you to formulate your considered and thoughtful questions?

Some people pay attention every day, and are well aware of the atrocities committed by Israel against Palestinians, turning children into red smudges in the ruins of what was their home. But the US also did that to children in Iraq, so all is good, right

Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Wow!

Why on earth would a superhuman mindpower like that even want to engage with a pedestrian mind like mine on issues of such global importance?

Maybe you should be dialoguing about the Middle East with Marilyn vos Savant instead of wasting your time with an old plonker like me.
gosh I guess before I found my way into this thread I have never read anything on israel before? never studied history or have any religious study at all. you think you are the only source of news and info?

edited to say...dreaming you never answered my question. does israel get a free pass for coveting and steal land and murder?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Some people pay attention every day, and are well aware of the atrocities committed by Israel against Palestinians, turning children into red smudges in the ruins of what was their home. But the US also did that to children in Iraq, so all is good, right
If you want to discuss the contents of any of the editorials to which I linked please do so--my post was certainly an invitation in that regard.

If you want to spout non-sequiters that have nothing to do with my post....well, I guess this is a free country. Your "response" does, however, tend to support my point that this singular obsession with Israel has nothing to do whatsoever with any "general sense of moral outrage" and everything to do with antisemitism.

It's good to know "what side of the house" various people here are on as regards antisemitism, for troubled times are certainly upon us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity