Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times

Advertisements

"If it be objected that God must give every man an opportunity to be saved, we reply that the outward call does give every man who hears it an opportunity to be saved. The message is: 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.'"

Loraine Boettner

"A beggar who contemptuously rejects the five dollars offered by a benevolent man, cannot charge stinginess upon him because after this rejection of the five dollars he does not give him ten."

W.G.T. Shedd

"Damnation is rendered to the wicked as a matter of debt, justice and desert, whereas the grace given to those who are delivered is free and unmerited, so that the condemned sinner cannot allege that he is unworthy of his punishment, nor the saint vaunt or boast as if he were worthy of his reward. Thus, in the whole course of this procedure, there is no respect of persons."

Augustine

They asked: "Lord, are there few that be saved?" He answered simply:

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and not be able."

Jesus Himself

Fair enough....I'll say so!!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
"If it be objected that God must give every man an opportunity to be saved, we reply that the outward call does give every man who hears it an opportunity to be saved. The message is: 'Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.'"
Actually, the message in the verse you quoted is "So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” You really shouldn't quote just part of a verse and truncate the rest.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Where is the good news in "BE-lieve or BE Damned to torture forever" ??
Or "BE-LIEVE or Be snuffed out as if you never even existed" ??

Where is the grace in that..?
The mercy? The love...?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Even a child knows the meaning of fair play.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Where is the good news in "BE-lieve or BE Damned to torture forever" ??
Or "BE-LIEVE or Be snuffed out as if you never even existed" ??

Where is the grace in that..?
The mercy? The love...?
The illogic of those who deny UR is revealed by the simple fact that we already DO believe on Jesus and follow His commands to "love God and each other" . . . precisely because we DON'T believe God is the horrible megalomaniacal tyrant that the ET's and the Annihilationists portray Him as. As one of my favorite lines in the Count of Monte Christo said . . ."How is that a bad plan?"

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In Acts 3: 19 ... Repent you therefore and be converted that your sin will be blotted out when a times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord .......Jesus said`` Repent or Perish ``....Believers of Jesus Christ get Baptised in water and the fire of Holy Spirit as Jesus proves his Word as believers Repent and turn from sin to be saved and there is no other way under Heaven it be saved.... When a believer gets water baptised , this give Jesus a clear proof the this believer will turn form sin now and later on and years to come.........and all the people who do this act of obedience will be saved ......

Old 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The illogic of those who deny UR is revealed by the simple fact that we already DO believe on Jesus and follow His commands to "love God and each other" . . . precisely because we DON'T believe God is the horrible megalomaniacal tyrant that the ET's and the Annihilationists portray Him as. As one of my favorite lines in the Count of Monte Christo said . . ."How is that a bad plan?"
MysticPhD, will all due respect sir, PLEASE do not start with the UR/ET business!! There's more than enough of them ALREADY, (threads, that is...) I mean really...pick one, any one!!! The lines drawn in the sand and sides have been chosen. By now we all know the player's, who's on what side and whom the captain of each team is, amen? Let's move on from that alright?

There's nothing and I mean NOTHING in the OP that's a cause for disagreement! Re-read what is stated there and honestly ask yourself is there anything there that is a "cause" for contention.

Betsey

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 06-29-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM

159 posts, read 174,952 times
I really don't see what are you complaining about, Betsy. This is message board and discussion is the whole point. Your said that certain position is "fair enough". Some disagree. Hence, discussion.

If anything I have a problem with a fact that many people seem to refuse to reason with me. Not too long ago I posted this, and no one holding the position I challenged responded to anything. I am not Universalist (nor Christian, for that matter) but at least UR folks seem to be willing to debate.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
I really don't see what are you complaining about, Betsy. This is message board and discussion is the whole point. Your said that certain position is "fair enough". Some disagree. Hence, discussion.

If anything I have a problem with a fact that many people seem to refuse to reason with me. Not too long ago I posted this, and no one holding the position I challenged responded to anything. I am not Universalist (nor Christian, for that matter) but at least UR folks seem to be willing to debate.
It's not A UR/ET thread that's why! Clear enough?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

Loraine Boettner

"A beggar who contemptuously rejects the five dollars offered by a benevolent man, cannot charge stinginess upon him because after this rejection of the five dollars he does not give him ten."

W.G.T. Shedd

"Damnation is rendered to the wicked as a matter of debt, justice and desert, whereas the grace given to those who are delivered is free and unmerited, so that the condemned sinner cannot allege that he is unworthy of his punishment, nor the saint vaunt or boast as if he were worthy of his reward. Thus, in the whole course of this procedure, there is no respect of persons."

Augustine

They asked: "Lord, are there few that be saved?" He answered simply:

"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and not be able."

Jesus Himself

Fair enough....I'll say so!!
Absolutely and completely fair, Betsey!!!

I like Augustine's statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity