Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I think one of the biggest problems in understanding the bible is the fact that we have numbered verses. I see so many people post a verse or two to back up their beliefs, when the verse is just part of an over all letter.

I think it would help to read the bible without numbered verses, are there any available?
That is how i do it...so, i will second that motion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:38 PM

[quote=Bright Hope for Tomorrow;14837651]
Quote:
I agree and Paul, especially, made a lot of really long sentences, and many people only quote fragments of them. I'm sure I've done this myself.
We all have when we where young in Christ...but we grow and learn...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I wouldn't like a Bible like that because I like to memorize scripture and if there aren't verses it would be hard to look up a passage quickly.
If God writes His Law on your heart...if you understand the point the author is trying to make by the end of the letter...then you do not need to memorize verses...that is a child's way...not an adults way...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 PM

[quote=BudinAk;14842957]
Quote:

I agree with meerkat. So many will have a certain belief "cast in concrete", and will seach the Bible cover to cover until they find something to back up their particular doctrine...or at least what they claim backs it up. And any Bible verses that contradict their theory are ignored, watered down, twisted around, mis-translated, or skimmed over.

Bud
I see that done all the time...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM

[quote=hilgi;14844336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

HI Bud,

I agree, the cat is out of the bag. I just think had verses never been invented church and bible study would be more like it was, reading a whole letter for example, not scattered verses.

Amen!...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:44 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

I see that done all the time...
Why does this system keep quoting me, when I am not the one who wrote those things?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Yes, I do agree that taking a verse out of context isn't good, but we shouldn't stop memorizing scripture altogether because when it is in context, it's a good thing! Jesus quoted scripture and so should we.
But He also explained it...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Amen!...
Now that was me, ahhh!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
The Bible is more than the Chapters and verses.

How much simpler can it be than to follow the simple truth (or commandment) given to the first Christians: "Love thy neighbor"? Organized religious institutions are a reflection of those who sought power from the earliest days and used the Godhead as it's mechanism. They have seen a God of punishment, retribution and damnation, more so than a loving God, because it serves their purpose to a fuller degree, we tend to obey, out of fear, rather than to serve God out of love. As to verses, chapters and numbers, it is the best way to provide reference and indexing to the "inspired" writings, so that those who expound upon the book, have a way to identify their respective theologies, their bible quotes and contradict one another. More important a question than to ponder the established system of scriptural reference is to determine (for oneself) whether they consider the book to truly be, the inspired writings of God Himself and not a product of those who seek to confuse us by developing mystical theology by twisting the scriptures to suit their own ends. Our God gave us the greatest gift in addition to our lifeblood, He gave us the gift of free will over our spirit and many believe that He gave us salvation from sin through our Lord and master, Jesus Christ but each of us must use that free will, to serve Him in a pleasing way.
We do not have free will Mr. UR...read your Bible again...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
rotfl...isn't that the truth!
Sci?...you do not need verses to memorize if you get the message...and you do not need to look up a verse to prove it to anyone, for if God has called that person, that person is going to believe...what did people do before there were verses? they came about in the middle ages....that might have very well been a tool of the devil in order to confuse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity