Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM

234 posts, read 238,258 times

Advertisements

Inherent in the Ten Commandments is the gospel. The first commandment has been edited by most but if we read the entire passage of scripture, we can readily see that God is not commanding us to do the impossible. The Ten Commandments begin:

Exodus 20:2 ” I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.You shall have no other gods before Me.”

In this small portion of the scripture is found the key to understanding our relationship to God’s laws, and how to find the power to obey them. Here is the gospel.
You may be thinking, “Hey, that first part isn’t a part of the law, because it doesn’t tell us something we must do or not do! Instead, it tells us of something God has done!!!”
Yes, exactly! And that’s the point. The entire Ten Commandments start with something God has done, and not with something we must do. “I am the Lord thy God who has….” God did not give us His law and then say, ” Okay, if you manage to obey, then heaven is yours”, knowing that we would fail. He knows us well, that we are but dust, morally corrupt, and totally incapable in and of ourselves to render any righteousness that meets God’s requirements. That is why He starts His law with what He has done for us, and not what we are to do for Him.
God has delivered us from bondage. The deliverance God refers to is a direct reference to the Passover. To the blood of the Lamb. A deliverance only He has accomplished, all by Himself, and without any assistance from us. The Passover was symbolic of Calvary. The shed blood of the lamb pointed forward to the crucifixion. ( John 1:29; 1 Cor. 5:7)
So when God gave His law, He pointed first back to the Passover, which itself points to the future, the cross. And there you have the gospel embedded within the law, and far from being distinct from one another, the law and gospel compliment one another perfectly.
Isaiah 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.
Notice that the part we play in redemption comes after God plays His part. “Come to Me, for I have redeemed thee”. And notice also that Israel’s salvation and redemption and final entrance into Canaan was a process, not a one off act. First, the blood of the lamb brought deliverance from bondage, then came Sinai and the giving of the law, with the power to obey established already on the already accomplished work of God whilst they were yet in bondage. Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Our obedience doesn’t activate God’s grace, as many charge us with. It is God’s saving grace that activates our law-keeping. The power for all true obedience is present in our realizationf what God has already done for us in Christ by virtue of His ‘unearnable’ grace.
We are simply called upon to come alive to and walk in the victory and the freedom from bondage that Christ has won for us.
Without Christ as the center of the law, without Christ not only as the law-giver but also the empowering agent behind the law, the Ten Commandments degenerate into a mere idealistic code of ethics, a kind of religious “wish-list”. The same goes for all those who look at the law as an impossibly attainable goal; they leave Christ out of the equation, even claiming that it is theologically acceptable to believe that Christ’s death annuls the law.
God loves us out of sin, and God loves us into obedience.
Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Justified by Christ’s death, and sanctified by His life. Delivered from bondage by His blood, empowered to remain free by His Spirit.
And rather than impossible commands, with the love of Jesus motivating and empowering us, the precepts of the Ten Commandments become promises.
Exodus 20:2 ” I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.You shall have no other gods before Me.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Awesome Truth!!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
yes, the commandments were given to show that we ALL fall short.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Actually, I find them extremely easy to keep as long as I keep in mind that I am to love others as myself.

And I'm certainly no saint. BUT when I focus on what I can do to benefit others, I always keep the commandments.

The law is for sinners, not the lawful.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 AM

306 posts, read 714,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually, I find them extremely easy to keep as long as I keep in mind that I am to love others as myself.

And I'm certainly no saint. BUT when I focus on what I can do to benefit others, I always keep the commandments.

But you are by nature sinful and unclean because of original sin. God demands that the law be kept perfectly. The only person known to have ever done that is Jesus. Because of his sinless life, death and ressurrection, we Christians have freedom of the law.

However, that doesn't mean the law doesn't have a purpose. For us Christians, it has three principal uses:

1. Curb - To reduce sinful behavior.
2. Mirror - To show that one is a sinner.
3. Guide - To provide a guideline on how one should live.

Another way of describing it is that Christians uphold the law, but they don't live under it.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:09 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I agree. When you love one another, it's impossible to break the commandments.

BTW, the commandments are meant for this material life only because once in the spirit world, we cannot sin, we can only progress.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
But you are by nature sinful and unclean because of original sin. God demands that the law be kept perfectly. The only person known to have ever done that is Jesus. Because of his sinless life, death and ressurrection, we Christians have freedom of the law.

However, that doesn't mean the law doesn't have a purpose. For us Christians, it has three principal uses:

1. Curb - To reduce sinful behavior.
2. Mirror - To show that one is a sinner.
3. Guide - To provide a guideline on how one should live.

Another way of describing it is that Christians uphold the law, but they don't live under it.
Like I said... The law is for the lawless. WHEN I love others as myself, it is impossible for me to sin. In order to love others AS myself I must first properly love myself. IF I see myself as naturally sinful and lawless then I cannot see or treat others any differently. I see myself as God sees me, perfect and complete just the way he intended me to be. This allows and causes me to love myself, give myself forgiveness and grace, and in turn treat others with love, forgiveness, and grace.

The law cannot be broken while loving others.

1 Tim 1:9-11 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

Galatians 5:18, 22 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law...But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Rules, rules, rules.

People try to obey the Commandments and when they inevitably fail, they react in one of two ways:

1. Humility -- "I am not worthy"
2. Defiance -- "What kind of stupid rules arew these anyhow?"

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
1. Humility -- "I am not worthy"
I call that self-denigration not humility but otherwise: is right!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
If one does not consider themselves a sinner, they are a liar, because we are all sinners saved by His grace. There is none righteous, not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity