Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And quite vengeful, i.e. angry and has a good memory, goes something like "vengeance is mine", eternal lakes of fire, etc.

If not heaven is going to be very sparsely populated.
Hahaha... I love your sense of humor, Ashville Native!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

1. Is God Actually Angry? (Like a Man)

Yes, God can & does get angry. The Bible has many passages that speak of God's anger.

2. Can Hypocrites Be Saved/Forgiven?

Yes. We're all hypocrites to some degree.

3. Thomas said he would not believe until he could see.
Did he have to have faith to be saved?

Yes.

John 11

16Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."

Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

1. Is God Actually Angry? (Like a Man)

Huh? He's God, right?

June was somewhat angry earlier tonight when she couldn't find a good takeout Chinese restuarant that had cold sesame noodles with peanut sauce, cuz it's too hot to cook. But God MADE all that "is" right? (In a purely ontological sense, n'est ce pas?) ~So June's thinking that if he made the time, and made the days, and made the "all" then God should be a pretty self-sufficient guy who is very, oh, so very content.

God: Not angry. Nope, definately not. (Not that June would even know, but the question(s) are compelling to her....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong

2. Can Hypocrites Be Saved/Forgiven?

June really isn't qualified to weigh-in on this one, but assuming God's not angry at anyone, then June's going with "Yes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong

3. Thomas said he would not believe until he could see.
Did he have to have faith to be saved?

NOW you're talkin' June's language!

~If June had to wager to guess, she would say that God, in not being angry, would willingly forgive such a doubting hypocrite as "just June" and if He truly understood her not having any faith, He'd save her, nonetheless...Why would he not want to, she asks, unless he was really angry! (Which he's not.)

Take gentle questioning care.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Huh? He's God, right?
June was somewhat angry earlier tonight when she couldn't find a good takeout Chinese restuarant that had cold sesame noodles with peanut sauce, cuz it's too hot to cook. But God MADE all that "is" right? (In a purely ontological sense, n'est ce pas?) ~So June's thinking that if he made the time, and made the days, and made the "all" then God should be a pretty self-sufficient guy who is very, oh, so very content.
God: Not angry. Nope, definately not. (Not that June would even know, but the question(s) are compelling to her....)
June really isn't qualified to weigh-in on this one, but assuming God's not angry at anyone, then June's going with "Yes."

NOW you're talkin' June's language!

~If June had to wager to guess, she would say that God, in not being angry, would willingly forgive such a doubting hypocrite as "just June" and if He truly understood her not having any faith, He'd save her, nonetheless...Why would he not want to, she asks, unless he was really angry! (Which he's not.)
Take gentle questioning care.
By God . . . I think she's got it!!!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
I love Thomas.
For several reasons.
He's my favorite apostle, I think.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
By God . . . I think she's got it!!!
She tries....

Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
A most excellent post, June.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And quite vengeful, i.e. angry and has a good memory, goes something like "vengeance is mine", eternal lakes of fire, etc.

If not heaven is going to be very sparsely populated.
IMO certain atheist's opinion about the nature of God is like a five year old's understanding of what his parents do in the privacy of their bedroom.

(not aimed at June)

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
IMO certain atheist's opinion about the nature of God is like a five year old's understanding of what his parents do in the privacy of their bedroom.

(not aimed at June)
Whoa!

June is equally as much a "Thomas" as Asheville Native is...June's "presentation" may be different, but June thinks that it might just make God angry to so readily discredit and dismiss the "Thomas's" of this world. To discredit one means to discredit us both.

~And June really doesn't want to have to rescind her answer in her above post.

Take gentle "God loves atheists too" care.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I love Thomas.
For several reasons.
He's my favorite apostle, I think.
Thomas reminds me of what Reagan said about the arms race with Russia...
"Trust, but verify". Well, you're likely too young to remember Reagan saying that - but I bet some on here recall that

As a side note about the 'characters' found in scripture, I think each of them whose personal traits are expounded upon serve to illustrate the various parts of our own personalities -- i.e. "doubting Thomas" vs. "Simon Peter, a zealot". Today, I was thinking about why Paul called himself "chief of sinners" and it occurred to me that perhaps it was because he so persecuted Christ by "wasting/murdering" Christians and was the quintessential Pharisee.

To answer my 3 questions, I would say that God does get angry about sin, but not at people in general. And of course hypocrites can be saved (see my note about Apostle Paul above). As for no. 3 - I believe that Thomas was saved in spite of the fact that he lacked faith (as will be the many). But Jesus said, "Blessed are those who have believed, but have not seen" which is why those who believe on him while in these mortal bodies are of those who are the "especially saved" of whom Jesus is savior of all, especially of them that believe. It is a very blessed thing to have been given real, living, sustained hope for the whole world (the masses) in the face of so much suffering and war and destruction. That's the way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity