Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with both June 7th and Heartsong on this one.
The Lord loves us --maybe especially when we don't believe!

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
The doubting Thomas does raise great questions about faith, which is (by definition) the "substance of things hoped for" and "the evidence of things not seen".

Could it be that the physical evidence of "things not seen" was the physical appearance of Jesus to Thomas? ie: He WAS Thomas' faith?

"Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

1. Is God Actually Angry? (Like a Man)

2. Can Hypocrites Be Saved/Forgiven?

3. Thomas said he would not believe until he could see.
Did he have to have faith to be saved?

1. God is depicted at having emotion and displaying anger. "Like a man" No, but by far most Christiians will explain his anger in a human way.

Gods wrath is why I believe and wickedness in me is being destroyed, sound like a man to you?

2. Yep

3. He doubted for a time and then believed, just like everyone will.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Whoa!

June is equally as much a "Thomas" as Asheville Native is...June's "presentation" may be different, but June thinks that it might just make God angry to so readily discredit and dismiss the "Thomas's" of this world. To discredit one means to discredit us both.

~And June really doesn't want to have to rescind her answer in her above post.

Take gentle "God loves atheists too" care.
Reminds me of a quote by a very wise man.
Quote:
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
Mohandas Gandhi

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,758 times
1). You bet He is! He's sending the VAST majority of people to an eternal barbeque. Can't get much more Moderator cut: deleted than that!

2.) Many are called, few are chosen. All hypocrites are going to burn. They had their chance but refused it.

3.) Thomas is an exception to the rule. Jesus had to prove something to him and to the rest of the apostles.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-08-2010 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM

8,174 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Thomas reminds me of what Reagan said about the arms race with Russia...
"Trust, but verify". Well, you're likely too young to remember Reagan saying that - but I bet some on here recall that
haha. I wish.

Quote:
As a side note about the 'characters' found in scripture, I think each of them whose personal traits are expounded upon serve to illustrate the various parts of our own personalities -- i.e. "doubting Thomas" vs. "Simon Peter, a zealot".
Yes! That's exactly the way I see it, as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
1). You bet He is! He's sending the VAST majority of people to an eternal barbeque. Can't get much more Moderator cut: orphaned than that!

2.) Many are called, few are chosen. All hypocrites are going to burn. They had their chance but refused it.

3.) Thomas is an exception to the rule. Jesus had to prove something to him and to the rest of the apostles.
LOL Jesus had to prove it to the apostles but it is required of those after that to have faith and believe what we are told.... interesting.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-08-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I have to agree with both June 7th and Heartsong on this one.
The Lord loves us --maybe especially when we don't believe!

Blessings,
brian
My favorite prayer in the bible... "Lord, help thou my unbelief" I know it is in there - can't recall where at the moment, but I know it's in there.

Bless you, brother Brian.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
My favorite prayer in the bible... "Lord, help thou my unbelief" I know it is in there - can't recall where at the moment, but I know it's in there.

Bless you, brother Brian.
Is this it:
Mark 9:24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

It is strange that he says he believes and then asks for help with unbelief.

Weymouth New Testament
Immediately the father cried out, "I do believe: strengthen my weak faith."

Also the disciples were called by Jesus "ye of little faith"... Hopefully THEY were saved!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
1). You bet He is! He's sending the VAST majority of people to an eternal barbeque. Can't get much more Moderator cut: orphaned than that!

Funny. It was not funny when I used to really believe that, however.
God obviously has a dark sense of humor!

Last edited by june 7th; 07-08-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity