Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,792,719 times

Advertisements

I hope anyone reading this forum will realize that many Christians do not breathe fire and condemn others to hell. Many are gentle, loving people, who love the Lord and try to serve Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM

621 posts, read 1,211,174 times
Nice post, Sundance. I share those sentiments. Been feeling like that for a long time. I think Christianity is despised more because of the messages of condemnation and hellfire/brimstone than it is embraced because of the gospel message of Jesus that God loves us, is FOR us, and simply wants us to turn away from sin and love him.

(I hope my comment made sense. )

Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM

It's rather disturbing that someone who doesn't know the Lord could come here and read some of these threads. Jesus didn't come to us to condemn us, He came to bring us to Him. Of course, that doesn't give us license to sin, but He is the one who cleans us up....all in good time....we grow in grace, in understanding....it is a process in our Christian walk.

Don't focus on your sins, that only gives them more power over your fleshly body. Focus on the Lord Jesus Christ, for His blood, and His blood alone, cleanses us from all sin. He is faithful and true.

Christianity is not a religion.

It is not following a set of rules.

It is a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 AM

He is alive. He is not dead, for He is risen.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

139 posts, read 224,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Nice post, Sundance. I share those sentiments. Been feeling like that for a long time. I think Christianity is despised more because of the messages of condemnation and hellfire/brimstone than it is embraced because of the gospel message of Jesus that God loves us, is FOR us, and simply wants us to turn away from sin and love him.

(I hope my comment made sense. )
Made sense to me.

Jesus wants us to love him.. and in loving him.. we obey him and follow him.. thus turning away from sin.

bless

Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,665,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howgreatthouart View Post
Made sense to me.

Jesus wants us to love him.. and in loving him.. we obey him and follow him.. thus turning away from sin.

bless
Amen!...

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howgreatthouart View Post
Made sense to me.

bless
...which can only be accomplished by turning towards Him. We do not "obey" Him, He leads us. We merely follow. The emphasis is not sin, not on self; the emphasis is on Jesus Christ. A simple concept, but impossible to understand for many who claim to know Him.

One "obeys" a set of rules.
Conversely, others "follow" the Lord.
Different as daylight and dark.

Which is why He taught in parables, and said we must enter the Kingdom of Heaven as little children.....

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Don't focus your Christian walk on sin. Focus it on Jesus Christ. He alone cleanses us from sin, His blood; not our own "obedience." Get your eyes off of yourself, and onto the Lord. He will take care of everything.......many claim faith but do they trust the Lord to cleanse them from their sin - or do they boast of their own "obedience?"

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I hope anyone reading this forum will realize that many Christians do not breathe fire and condemn others to hell. Many are gentle, loving people, who love the Lord and try to serve Him.
I agree that not all Christians are so judgemental, but I guess it is just human nature to classify any group of people according to the most vocal, and bold ones there.

.Many Christians/believers are more humble and are the peacemakers who show the love of Christ through their words and actions..IMO, those people are the ones who plant the seeds in the seekers..

The love, the compassion coming from Jesus is what caused the crowds to follow him about..He showed them the loving Father in Himself.. just as we are to show Christ in us.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Truth be told, I have encountered more odd ball and not so nice "christians" on this and other forums in a month than in my entire Christian life of 30+ years. (note to the person reading this-it's about the other guy, not you )

IMO it is the nature of religious internet forums that brings out the worst in some people. Or maybe it is the anonymous nature of internet forums that allows the odd and the hateful to spew their messege without fear of repercussions.

Seeing what goes on here and in other forums makes the kind and gentle stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity