Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People with a larger view. LOL

Yes, you are right. My view is limited to the word of God and what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me.
My view takes into consideration an all loving God quite capable of accomplishing what He says He wants to,namely,the salvation of all men.Your view doesn't.Hence,my view has God accomplishing more than yours,namely the salvation of all men.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Nothing here gives any support to the idea that he hung himself and then rotted away.A person rotting while hanging would not fall "headlong" when his body rotted enough to come apart.
If the Bible says so, then I believe it is possible. His foot may have caught a branch and turned the body before it slammed on to the ground. I am surprised that you would rather defend the view that there are errors in the Bible, than that there is no errors in the Bible.

This being the case, how do you know anything you believed before can be true? This is how false doctrines get started. A bunch of people who believe the Bible is full of errors, start teaching whatever they want regardless of how their teaching contradicts the rest of the Bible. That is precisely the problem with UR. It contradicts the rest of the Bible on many spiritual matters, not just on issues like who's name was on the land deed, the priest or Judas.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-12-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I confirmed no such thing. Salvation has NOTHING to do with "works" OR US (in any way shape or form . . . including your requirement that we accept it) . . . but our "fitness" to be in the presence of God DOES.
Yes you did. Here it is again:

Quote:
What we produce will be either "hay, wood and stubble or gold, silver etc." that will be tried as by spiritual fire.
This is a works judgement based on 1 Cor 3, wherein this particular judgement is left only to those who are ministering the faith:

Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called [to be] saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Reading 1 Corinthians without this as your premise, will leave you in utter and complete failure in its interpretation.

Quote:
not your exclusivist or specialized groups that enable your twisted doctrine to support such heinous beliefs about our loving God.
To me...the above appears to be a Denominational attack.
It's nice to see the mods only regulate ET, and not UR.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If the Bible says so, then I believe it is possible. His foot may have caught a branch and turned the body before it slammed on to the ground.

I really think this about says it all for what you must go through in an attempt to maintain a literal Bible.

Quote:
I am surprised that you would rather defend the view that there are errors in the Bible, than that there is no errors in the Bible.
I stick with reason.If the Bible tells me,as it does,that the sun revolves around the earth,and I learn through science and observation that it does not,I do not feel inclined to try and pretend that somehow the earth is stationary and the sun revolves around it.I realize it for what it is,an error by primitive man that made it's way into the scripture.

The how is by common sense and a sense of what God is like.If I am wrong in believing that God is an unconditionally loving God who will lead each and every one of His children home safely,then so be it.My error is in believing that God loves unconditionally.I will live with that.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I stick with reason.
It sounds more like you don't believe the Bible is word of God, and that you accept there are errors and contradictions which can be replaced with "reason".

The "foot in the branch" was obviously just me theorizing, but if the body burst open, then it must have happened when it hit the ground when it fell off the noose.

Oh, wait, you forgot to tell me how his body burst open. What does your reasoning tell you about it?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM

159 posts, read 174,879 times
You are acting like body bursting open is only contradiction here. Whole story is different! If the most convoluted reasoning can't make sense of them all, what good is it?

And why would they call it field of blood (in Acts) if body bursting open was something common? Matthew says it was because field was bought with blood money, and that makes sense, although acts contradict that.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
You are acting like body bursting open is only contradiction here. Whole story is different! If the most convoluted reasoning can't make sense of them all, what good is it?
If you'd rather believe there are errors and contradictions in the Bible, then that is your choise. All I can do is offer you an explanation, which is did, but that's pretty much all I can do. It is obvious you INSIST that Bible is wrong, and usually people who insist such things have their eyes blinded form the truth of the Bible.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM

159 posts, read 174,879 times
Quote:
If you'd rather believe there are errors and contradictions in the Bible, then that is your choise. All I can do is offer you an explanation, which is did, but that's pretty much all I can do. It is obvious you INSIST that Bible is wrong, and usually people who insist such things have their eyes blinded form the truth of the Bible.
Steve Dutch, a Chatolic Geologist and good scientist, has fine web site here: Science, Pseudoscience, and Irrationalism . He admits this mistake. Idea that only non-believers insist Bible has mistakes is a complete misconception.

In fact those that hold an idea that Bible has to be 100% true facts (no symbolism allegory and interpretations of man) means they don't have much confidence in it. It means God doesn't have wisdom to communicate any other way.

relevant links:
Why Intellectuals Don't Take Religious Believers Seriously
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/IntelIntel.HTM
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/RelLearnSci.HTM

Old 07-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:

So when Paul says in the Bible that what he says is NOT inspired from God,is that scripture or not?Exactly how can Paul saying "this isn't inspired" be inspired Scripture?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Steve Dutch, a Chatolic Geologist and good scientist, has fine web site here: Science, Pseudoscience, and Irrationalism . He admits this mistake. Idea that only non-believers insist Bible has mistakes is a complete misconception.

In fact those that hold an idea that Bible has to be 100% true facts (no symbolism allegory and interpretations of man) means they don't have much confidence in it. It means God doesn't have wisdom to communicate any other way.

relevant links:
Why Intellectuals Don't Take Religious Believers Seriously
Intelligent Design. Intelligently
What Religion Can Learn From Science
No, I am not saying you must be a non-believer. I'm just saying that there is no contradiction in the Bible. If you are a beliver, then that's great. Insisting that Judas did not burst open will not take away God's promise. There are 'difficulties' in the Bible where some verse seems to contradict another, but they are due to copying errors and when you study them and pray about them, you will always find an answer. Study them, don't promote them as errors.

I am not sure what all those links are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.