Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM

365 posts, read 511,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Feel free to correct, brother.

Iron sharpens iron.

God be willing, I shall be around still to see the correction, but God may not have me return again to this forum.
The 10 Commandments were given as guidelines and to show us how much we need Jesus.

They are also a reflection of God's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 PM

75 posts, read 101,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
This is one of the most "taken out of context" quotes regarding the sabbath. By the time Christ came there were hundreds of so called rabbinical laws, that 100% man made, but dealt with how the sabbath was suppose to be kept. By Christ's time these rabbinical laws became burdensome and what everyone looked at when thinking about the sabbath. They had lost sight of the basic principle of don't work and KEEP the day holy, because they got so caught up in stupid stuff like how many steps they could take from their front door. When the pharisees tried to point their fingers at Christ and the Disciples, they were accusing them of breaking the sabbath based on these unbiblical, man made, laws and not the 4th commandment itself. Christ's statement was one meant to point people back to the fact that the Sabbath was created to be a blessing to man, and not burdensome. Christ was calling out the pharisees because He knew that the fourth commandment wasn't being broken. It was all the nonsense rabbinical laws (like a law stating that if your ox fell into a ditch on the sabbath you had to leave it there) that the pharisees were trying to blame them for breaking. I don't see why so many have such a problem with the commandments. As Sister Perry has so faithfully pointed out, Christ and just about every one of the NT writers make it clear that keeping god's commandments is still asked of the faithful. Commandments 1-4 = how to love God with all your heart, and commandments 5-10 = how to love thy neighbor as thyself. It just doesn't seem like rocket science yet so many have such a problem. It just puzzles me sometimes.
In the minds of the pharisees, they WERE keeping Sabbath, at least in the form of things. But, like mother EVE who added the words 'neither shall ye touch it' [the forbidden fruit]', all the children of Eve also 'ADD' too the words of God. This is what trips up followers of the word. In adding too the word of God, the plagues are given to discipline us, and in this we are forgiven. It's taking away from the word of God...that condemns us.

Rkin

Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
The 10 Commandments were given as guidelines and to show us how much we need Jesus.

You are correct, brother.

In regards to the Old Covenant, the Israelites were identified with the God that delivered them out of Egypt by the keeping of His commandments to stand apart from the known gods of Egypt as well as in how to be His people in loving one another.

In regards to the New Covenant, The Old Covenant vanishes and waxes away as we are now identified by faith in Jesus Christ and that others may know that we are His disciples by our love for one another which is the fulfilling of the law.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM

And may I add, that they were given so we know what sin is.

Romans 3:20

20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Romans 7:7

7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."

The 10 Commandments have to be kept perfectly for salvation. But unfortunately we sinners failed in being born perfect and living perfectly, so in God's grace, Jesus came and kept the 10 Commandments perfectly on our behalf, and his sinless life now also saves us, Romans 5:10, and now those who come to Christ by faith are credited and imputed Jesus' life of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:21

21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

It really has taught me how much I need Jesus and how much I need to rely on HIM for everything.

I get sad when I see people and cults claim that we have to keep God's Law to be saved, because that means they teach that 100% relying in Jesus is invalid and that means they teach that Jesus is not their one and only sole Saviour, but Jesus is only part Saviour and part their own works saves them. These people are false teachers of a false legalistic gospel.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
And may I add, that they were given so we know what sin is.

Romans 3:20

20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Romans 7:7

7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."

The 10 Commandments have to be kept perfectly for salvation. But unfortunately we sinners failed in being born perfect and living perfectly, so in God's grace, Jesus came and kept the 10 Commandments perfectly on our behalf, and his sinless life now also saves us, Romans 5:10, and now those who come to Christ by faith are credited and imputed Jesus' life of righteousness.

2 Corinthians 5:21

21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

It really has taught me how much I need Jesus and how much I need to rely on HIM for everything.

I get sad when I see people and cults claim that we have to keep God's Law to be saved, because that means they teach that 100% relying in Jesus is invalid and that means they teach that Jesus is not their one and only sole Saviour, but Jesus is only part Saviour and part their own works saves them. These people are false teachers of a false legalistic gospel.
So what you really mean is that one can continue to commit sin and still receive eternal life - right? For example - if you commit sin you will still receive eternal life.

Yes or No?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:

Actually your Bible's ten commandments were copied from the Egyptian Book of The Dead, much like the rest of the OT is a retelling of earlier, mainly Mesopotamian/Sumerian mythology.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
So what you really mean is that one can continue to commit sin and still receive eternal life - right? For example - if you commit sin you will still receive eternal life.

Yes or No?

Yes.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Actually your Bible's ten commandments were copied from the Egyptian Book of The Dead, much like the rest of the OT is a retelling of earlier, mainly Mesopotamian/Sumerian mythology.
I'd like to read more on this topic - can you suggest some books?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,083 times
Wow! I am a bit intimidated by the long posts. My sight is not good enough to read them, neither do I have time to reply to them. I'm telling you, some day, I really am going to retire. Then I am going to stick my nose in the Book and not take it out! In the meantime, however, I love my job!

But on subject, I love the Ten because they are great fences to keep me where i need to be. Are they hard to follow? I don't think so. After all, in Deuteronomy, after lengthy explanation of how to keep them and all the details of what to do and what not to do, G-d says right out that they are not too hard to keep.

Am I perfect at it? No.

Would I like to erase any one of the Ten? No.

Are we expected to keep them? Apparently, according to Matthew 5 -- unless, of course, heaven and earth has passed away.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

Yes or No?
Are you trolling? Or are you serious? If you are serious you need help to grasp reality!!!

We are ALL SINNERS! Everyone is a SINNER!

Can you name a single person throughout Earth's history besides Jesus who lived a perfectly sinless life?

Do you still sin today? Yes or No?

Are you saved today? Yes or No?

Is faith in Jesus enough to save a person? Yes or No?

Or do you need faith in Jesus PLUS life a perfect and sinless life first? Yes or No?

Why are you teaching the same bewitching gospel that Paul rebuked in Galatians 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity