Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

So let me get this straight.

Another poster made a point that really struck me. He/She said that it appears that universalism teaches that all will be saved in time. It really doesn't matter whether or not you accept Jesus in the end. We'll all be in the same place. Accepting Jesus just makes the process a bit easier. You just avoid a few 100 or 1000 years of refining by fire. And really what's a 1000 years in the light of eternity? Just a flash.

Seems like it really doesn't matter if you trust Jesus per the UR folk. Jesus just makes the process of being with God a bit easier. Not necesary, just easier.

Dang. I think I'll quit church, Jesus and God and live asccording to the flesh. No point in trusting in Jesus. I'll see y'all in Heaven.

Don't need Jesus or nothin'. I am saved regardless!

Not to worry......I am just making a point.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Another poster made a point that really struck me. He/She said that it appears that universalism teaches that all will be saved in time. It really doesn't matter whether or not you accept Jesus in the end. We'll all be in the same place. Accepting Jesus just makes the process a bit easier. You just avoid a few 100 or 1000 years of refining by fire. And really what's a 1000 years in the light of eternity? Just a flash.

Seems like it really doesn't matter if you trust Jesus per the UR folk. Jesus just makes the process of being with God a bit easier. Not necesary, just easier.

Dang. I think I'll quit church, Jesus and God and live asccording to the flesh. No point in trusting in Jesus. I'll see y'all in Heaven.

Yep...you got it...only you will burn for just an age and an age...or so...nothing big...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:

I don't get the point. You think the flesh is better than Spirit and if you could get away with it (ie: go to "heaven" anyway) then you would live in as a slave to sin? (AKA: "live according in the flesh")

From that information I can only conclude that you have not experienced God's transcending love and are not born again.

Very confusing point from my perspective.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:

If living after the flesh is something you find enjoyable even after knowing God.. then there is a problem...

Jesus reconciled the world... THE WORLD.. yet some say the world isn't REALLY reconciled at all... until... LOL

The reconciliation was a once for all thing... how is it that some are reconciled and some aren't ... in your view of the gospel?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Quote:

No rather, some of us universalist believe that Jesus and God are so powerful that they can even remove the sins from everyone. We don't believe they throw out the baby with the bathwater.

We believe that eventually God shall remove the sins from everyone. I don't think anyone can immprove on that message.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
mr5150...

Another universalism thread you are starting?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:

Honestly, I'm a bit confused as to why you would think this way. The UR folk are Christians. They believe in Jesus. Shouldn't that make you happy?

For the record - I'm not a Christian. I know the UR folk believe I will be saved. I know that you don't. I know many try to scare me with all the Hell talk - and I do understand that it is supposedly out of love (although it RARELY comes off that way). Personally, I don't believe in an afterlife. So - it really makes no difference to me one way or another - you can believe I'm going to Hell - I'm okay with it.

You aren't going to convince the UR folk to give up their beliefs. They seem to be inspired by love and compassion and I don't think you can change that.

You aren't going to convince me to believe in something I don't by trying to scare me with Hell.

So... what's the point?

And for the record - although I'm not a Christian and I don't believe in an afterlife - I still don't take pleasure in killing, raping, stealing, lying, or cheating. I still take pleasure in love and understanding and kindness. Just because I don't believe in an afterlife - that doesn't mean I think I have a free pass to be a horrible person. I have a conscience. I have a mind. I have a heart.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I have a conscience. I have a mind. I have a heart.
I know.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
No rather, some of us universalist believe that Jesus and God are so powerful that they can even remove the sins from everyone. We don't believe they throw out the baby with the bathwater.

We believe that eventually God shall remove the sins from everyone. I don't think anyone can immprove on that message.
Yep I see your point. One does not need Jesus in this life to have your sins removed. We all get saved regardless.

However, I really don't see that in the NT.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Yep I see your point. One does not need Jesus in this life to have your sins removed. We all get saved regardless.

However, I really don't see that in the NT.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
Well, I guess we'll have to leave it up to God. Won't you be so happy if you are right? And if I'm right - well, you'll never know the difference!
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity