Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times

Advertisements

June has a question. June's question arises more or less out of some of the threads she reads each day. June has to admit: In being a nonbeliever, perhaps there are times when 'just June' just doesn't "get it." (She seriously doubts it, though.) --But June can't help but wonder what's the deal? Isn't there more to Christianity and more to being a Christian than this raging debate that somehow rises up, and takes over? (June gets the "somehow" part...Just a bit of light heartedness on June's part.) --But in all seriousness, there are some of us, namely "just June" who truly just wants to know.

Here's the thing: June is hardly unfamiliar with the bible. June has even been known to read it, upon (somewhat rare) ocassion. However, but for the fact that June reads as many threads as she does on an ongoing basis, this whole "ET/UR" debate would never have entered June's consciousness! So the (hopefully?) not-so-dumb-but-ever-respectful nonbeliever just wants to know:

Is there anything else that is noteworthy to discuss as regards Christianity, or does it all boil down to this one debate? Because June sometimes wonders whether at some point she will fall asleep at night, and the letters "ET/UR" will appear to her in her dreams! --Which would give the "just shrink" in "just June" pause!

~So tell June: Is there more to Christianity than this? Tell June: What is it? Because she really wants to know.

A most respectful thanks in advance to whoever wishes to respond.

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Yes there is much more! Knowing the peace in your heart that only comes from knowing Jesus and having a person relationship with Him.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
The only thing to Christianity is Jesus Christ and the belief in Him. And love God and others. The rest we will all find out later. And there will be a lot of "I told you so's" from one side!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,042 times
et...ur...et...ur...et...ur...et...ur

lol

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
June this is what i have been trying to say . The good news whether you believe in ET or UR is about Jesus , true christianity is good news , it's not bad news . How little do we read on here of how wonderful Jesus is . Just a quick glance down the index of threads on the christianity forum is very telling . The topics are generally rooted in eternal torment , what is sin what isn't, false spirits, tribulations in the end times and so on.

Infact the only thread that possibly lifts up the wonderful name of Jesus is the "favorite hymn thread".

Actually if those of us who believe in UR stayed with the reality of how wonderful Jesus IS (instead of going back and forth over ET and UR) it would not only light up the world , but bring down the gates of hell.

From this moment on i am commited to proclaiming how wonderful Jesus is on this forum .

Goodnight

Last edited by pcamps; 07-20-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
"I remember one day in early spring, I was alone in the forest, lending my ear to its mysterious noises. I listened, and my thought went back to what for these three years it always was busy with--the quest for God" Leo Tolstoy

That's what I see being the grounds for the et/ur debate. It is a quest for the true nature of "god". Is the divine nature that of the et god or the ur god? For those who believe in god, the nature of that god is the most important question, imho. It makes perfect sense to me that this debate dominates.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
et...ur...et...ur...et...ur...et...ur

lol
It should be "et...annihilation...ur...et...annihilation...ur.. .et...annhilation...ur.

Dear June, of course there is much more to Christianity than whether ET or UR is the truth. But the gospel is: "God accomplished something for mankind through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ." That is the gospel June. Everything in the universe turns on that gospel. There is no other gospel. Once you have that gospel (good news) down and believed then one can go on to more deep things such as "body of Christ believers," the future of that body of Christ, the present body of Christ believer's relationship to God and mankind now, etc. etc.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

180 posts, read 262,363 times
Hello June 7th,

A very valid question you answer, and I would like to join in this discussion, as it appears, that this is an ongoing debate here at this particular forum. One of the most active forums I have come across in a great while, and if the core of the debate on this subject appears to be here so prevalently, I am sure it is elsewhere. I, most of all, preferred Ilene Wright's answer to this ongoing question, as I agree completely. Although my views on judgement is for lack of a better word, orthodox, I always like to add to this thought is....we will indeed be surprised as to who we see in Heaven and who we won't see. Will it even matter? Will we even know them?
Questions that beg our answers, yet the Bible isn't clear on our stasis in Heaven after we have perished mortally. The subject I believe, which is more pertinent, is how are we living in Christ right now? I think that is what Christ was not solely interested in, but was clear in addressing to His listeners. How are we, for lack of a better phrase, doing what Jesus did? Must we conform to our own orthodoxy and accompany ourselves with only the sheep of the fold? Or do we extend our reach of His blessings to others that are not of the fold? I would like to choose the latter, and sit with the sinners, dine with the adulterers, and talk simply and profoundly with the murderers, so that they too, can get a glimpse on how we have been living, and how they could be living too. The relationship between mankind and Christ has been returned to its former state, before the fall, and in Christ, that union is blessed. God bless you June 7th in your search for the truth.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has a question. June's question arises more or less out of some of the threads she reads each day. June has to admit: In being a nonbeliever, perhaps there are times when 'just June' just doesn't "get it." (She seriously doubts it, though.) --But June can't help but wonder what's the deal? Isn't there more to Christianity and more to being a Christian than this raging debate that somehow rises up, and takes over? (June gets the "somehow" part...Just a bit of light heartedness on June's part.) --But in all seriousness, there are some of us, namely "just June" who truly just wants to know.

Here's the thing: June is hardly unfamiliar with the bible. June has even been known to read it, upon (somewhat rare) ocassion. However, but for the fact that June reads as many threads as she does on an ongoing basis, this whole "ET/UR" debate would never have entered June's consciousness! So the (hopefully?) not-so-dumb-but-ever-respectful nonbeliever just wants to know:

Is there anything else that is noteworthy to discuss as regards Christianity, or does it all boil down to this one debate? Because June sometimes wonders whether at some point she will fall asleep at night, and the letters "ET/UR" will appear to her in her dreams! --Which would give the "just shrink" in "just June" pause!

~So tell June: Is there more to Christianity than this? Tell June: What is it? Because she really wants to know.

A most respectful thanks in advance to whoever wishes to respond.

Take gentle care.
What a nightmare that would be...

"Come into my parlor" says the spider to the fly...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"I remember one day in early spring, I was alone in the forest, lending my ear to its mysterious noises. I listened, and my thought went back to what for these three years it always was busy with--the quest for God" Leo Tolstoy

That's what I see being the grounds for the et/ur debate. It is a quest for the true nature of "god". Is the divine nature that of the et god or the ur god? For those who believe in god, the nature of that god is the most important question, imho. It makes perfect sense to me that this debate dominates.

Wow! Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity