U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,272,736 times

Advertisements

Human beings are always in between, and being in between they are "there" (dasein), between the past and future, in the present or the "instant" as Kierkegaard put it-the blink of the eye. This is the life for one who is temporal (that is why the death tree was in the garden at its center, and without it there would not be temporal life, therefore, the death tree becomes grace extended to women {gender generalizing}); you come here, stay awhile (the moment is knowledge, or more accurately knowledge of pleasure and pain {I am thinking that act is an extension of thought for humans) and then you leave. This in between, where we transition from past to future with its knowledge of pleasure and pain (the crisis or passion of existentialism rooted in decision lacking certain knowledge to avoid risk-that is why palm readers and politicians make a good living), represented by time, and its time that pressures us in our transition; at this moment is where one "hears" a voice (I will use the quotation marks so that our northern friends will know we are not advocating mental illness). It is at this blink of the eye, as life slips from you that you listen. Many people "hear" what they want, from their dumb friends, 3 minute pop philosophy songs, the voice of reason (in some form but not necessarily structured to lead to truth), the voice of one's dead (at least how one thinks one's dead would speak), the voice of the state, a big one; the voice of one's accidental characteristics (race, ethnicity, gender, etc) and all the activists that shout this stuff, the voice of god (at least what one interprets what one thinks god is saying), the voice of satan (at least what one interprets what one thinks she is saying): well this could go on and on, but a half wit should even get my drift.
Flattery is the order of the day (just follow this data forum thing, there is a lot of it here-I broke the text here for the offended grammarians), and I would recommend that everyone read Gorgias. The problem it seems to me in this older philosophy (bear with me a bit, I know this is a christian thread, and yes, theology is the highest science, even if no one here likes it anymore) attempts to get to the "good" or the "true", and to connect it to the above, to get the "blink of an eye", the true moment of existence, right into the direction of the good and true. Naturally, the suggested structure for this in Gorgias is philosophy. The bad form of structure for this transition is flattery. Flattery tells the rabble what they want to "hear", generally, and, of course, it wants to persuade, generally, I would imagine, to the one who flatters and her ideas (required in a democracy where all the rabble vote but few think, at least philosophically, not big screen wise). I would imagine, one of the greatest flatterers is our own mind (since the heart is unknowable when being evil). I would imagine that flattery is the primary structure that gets us through the transition from past to future (of course, there are many other crises for us, many other in betweens; such as do we watch american idol or read philosophy, vote for our ideological candidate or the other girl, which side of one's nose one should one pick first, all such things put us in between, where the anxiety is; but life with its transition to death seems to be the big one-see how gender aware I am?). Naturally, well, maybe not today as the voice of god has become the voice of much flattery, anyway, when one "hears" the voice of god, one should be concerned that it is god's voice that one is "hearing", and I really imagine that that can not be formed up with a set of propositions or principles to guarantee the source. Jesus is god, well that was the old theology, evidently one can be a christian nowadays and dispense with such theological constructions and with Deridda claim that one's own voice is god-the one I "hear" in my head; and it is this god, this guy, that says that his followers "hear" his voice and none other. What a guarantee, and it needs no aesthetic structure to vouch for it.

Last edited by allen antrim; 08-09-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 PM

6,922 posts, read 10,776,877 times
Paragraphs please.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM

Don't read it if its too hard

Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 PM

47,519 posts, read 30,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Don't read it if its too hard
I wonder which voice that was. It was no surprise to learn you were a young adolescent. I maintain all young male adolescents should be drafted into a year long boot camp before being allowed out in civilized society.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Why did you waste your time with posting nothing? You contributed nothing to the thread, nothing to thought, and nothing to help explain this issue. All you are concerned about is attacking my character and the other guy my grammer. I think I have stirred up flatterers!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 AM

65 posts, read 202,672 times
i've posted in another topic here how lately once or twice a week i'll hear a female voice call out my name and then i wake up out of my sleep.this started in the summer of 2009 and then stopped for a long while until this summer.haven't figured it out.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM

61,306 posts, read 79,527,797 times
knowing voices. by their fruits ye shall know them. god does not tell u to do ungodly things.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

505 posts, read 505,892 times
This is great topic; one EVERYONE should be aware of- both Christian and non- Christian. Just to go a little further:

What we are talking about here is spiritual warfare at its simplest and MOST COMMON form. Spiritual warfare is nothing more than the battle for your mind and your thoughts...initially. If you are hearing a Godly voice it's most probably the Holy Spirit. HE IS OUR ADVOCATE ON EARTH, since Jesus' ascension to heaven. An evil voice is not likely to be Satan himself but rather an unclean spirit, most probably a familiar spirit. There is only one Satan while there are millions of unclean spirits. While green vomit, levitating people and twisted heads are great for box-office receipts, basic spiritual warfare is rarely that dramatic. It is most often silent and subtle. Many times it pits your desire to be obedient to God and God's Word against your desire to give in to the pleasures of the flesh. Atheists and agnostics have already lost this battle. They declare that see no evidence of God, use it as an excuse to live life on their own terms and not have to be accountable to God for their sins. Hard-core alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, pedophiles, rapists, unrepentant criminals, serial killers as well as die-hard, hard core enemies of God have done the same.

The voice of evil wants to place doubt about the scriptures in your mind with misquotes and taking the scriptures out of context, while the voice of God will never contradict the Word.
The voice of evil is cunning and crafty. It can be demanding and urgent while the voice of God is kind. It tries to nudge you toward Holiness and righteousness but never pushes you.
The voice of evil tries to lead you to disobedience and rebellion, sin and selfish behavior and thinking. The voice of God tries to lead you toward God, the Word, charity, forgiveness and love.
The voice of evil appeals to your carnal, outer man and it's pleasures of the flesh: lust, greed, sexual gratification, jealousy etc... while the voice of God appeals to your inner man (your spirit and soul).
The voice of evil tries to seduce you while the voice of God tries to get you to co-operate.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
Default the voice of a women

I have heard the voice of a women what does this mean???

Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 AM

34,705 posts, read 23,095,627 times
Life and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity