U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM

9,870 posts, read 12,442,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Some Christians continue to place God and Satan on a similar level when it comes to MANKIND.

THERE IS NO SATAN.

Satan is simply the symbol of evil within MANKIND.

The Satan made me do it excuse is not valid.

The notion that opinion (yours or mine) stands on equal ground with God's Word is only empty noise.

According to the true Word of the Living God:
(1) Satan is a created being ... and hardly equal to his creator - God;
(2) The lie that Satan does not exist ... is a lie of Satan designed to keep mankind ignorant and oblivious;
(3) Satan is a deceiver and the father of all liars -- His lies are the alternative to God's truth.
(4) Correct! - Satan does not have the ability or authority to force people to do anything

(From your many posts, it is apparent that your primary reason for being here in the Christian forum is to 'bash Christians' --- Sadly, you are so busy fighting truth, that you fail to see it right before you)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM

6,822 posts, read 5,658,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The notion that opinion (yours or mine) stands on equal ground with God's Word is only empty noise.

(2) The lie that Satan does not exist ... is a lie of Satan designed to keep mankind ignorant and oblivious;
(3) Satan is a deceiver and the father of all liars -- His lies are the alternative to God's truth.
(4) Correct! - Satan does not have the ability or authority to force people to do anything

(From your many posts, it is apparent that your primary reason for being here in the Christian forum is to 'bash Christians' --- Sadly, you are so busy fighting truth, that you fail to see it right before you)
Beautiful post!

Those that deny and scoff at the existence of Satan are the pawns of Satan doing His work.. Before Christ saved me, I was exactly the same.. blind to the deception and willfully ignorant of the truth in God's Word which sets Man free from this bondage.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM

11,802 posts, read 7,657,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

I cannot imagine living my life knowing Satan is lurking. Really, how illogical is that?

It is quite obvious that Satan is a symbol. No one denies evil.

The main difference in reasoning is that you do not understand allegory. During biblical times folks were primitive and used florid language to describe evil.

I cannot bash a Christian because I am a Christian.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Beautiful post!

Those that deny and scoff at the existence of Satan are the pawns of Satan doing His work.. Before Christ saved me, I was exactly the same.. blind to the deception and willfully ignorant of the truth in God's Word which sets Man free from this bondage.
I don't deny the existence of evil.

I simply deny the existence of a supernatural being called Satan. That is very primitive!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM

400 posts, read 505,851 times
Satan, Lucifer, Diablo, Beezlebub, Destroyer, Beast, Little Horn, are but a few of his names. He is the Man of Sin, the Ruler of Darkness and Demons and the Ruler of this World.

The Catholic Church teaches Satan is real. Do not be fooled by the Deceiver, the Evil One, the King of Babylon into thinking otherwise.

From The Catechism of The Catholic Church:

The Lord's Prayer: In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God. The devil (dia-bolos) is the one who "throws himself across" God's plan and his work of salvation accomplished in Christ.

Baptism: Baptism signifies liberation from sin and from its instigator the devil, one or more exorcisms are pronounced over the candidate. The celebrant then anoints him with the oil of catechumens, or lays his hands on him, and he explicitly renounces Satan. Thus prepared, he is able to confess the faith of the Church, to which he will be "entrusted" by Baptism.

The Fall of The Angels:The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature.

Sacramentals: When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus performed exorcisms and from him the Church has received the power and office of exorcizing. In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called "a major exorcism," can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. The priest must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.

Let us pray,
"Deliver us, Lord, we beseech you, from every evil and grant us peace in our day, so that aided by your mercy we might be ever free from sin and protected from all anxiety, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ."

Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature.
Bingo!

What is a spirit?

Quote:
spir·it

1. the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
"we seek a harmony between body and spirit"
synonyms: soul, psyche, (inner) self, inner being, inner man/woman, mind, ego, id; More
antonyms: body, flesh
the nonphysical part of a person regarded as a person's true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation.

2. those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.

The catechism says Satan is a spirit. I agree!

If you look up the definition of spirit you will see that it has no shape, form, or mass. In fact, it is not even energy since there is an equivalency between mass and energy. Furthermore, spirit refers to the non-physical part of a person. In other words Satan is the evil within us and it is up to us to keep this evil under control and not to fall for any temptation.

I agree that the baptism rite asks everybody top reject Satan, the Prince of Darkness, but you forget that this is part of the cultural tradition of the Church and these things are preserved forever.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 AM

[quote=Julian658;31755813]
Quote:
What is a spirit? The catechism says Satan is a spirit. I agree!
I notice you do this a lot. You say one thing then later say something else. Earlier you said:
Quote:
I simply deny the existence of a supernatural being called Satan.
Now you say that Satan is a spirit.
Dictionary time:
Spirit- 2. A supernatural being

Earlier you said:
Quote:
It is quite obvious that Satan is a symbol.
So, which is Satan, a symbol or a spirit?

Once again:

The Lord's Prayer: In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God.
The catechism says Satan is a person.
Definition of person: noun 1. A human being.

You've gone from thinking Satan was a symbol and not supernatural to thinking Satan is a spirit which is supernatural.

Earlier you said:
Quote:
I cannot imagine living my life knowing Satan is lurking
Since you now say Satan is a spirit, where is he?

Last edited by bartstarr1960; 10-11-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 AM

[quote=bartstarr1960;31767810]
Quote:
Bingo!

Once again:

The Lord's Prayer: In this petition, evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God.
The catechism says Satan is a person.
Definition of person: noun 1. A human being.
I am willing to say that the RCC is also a very old institution (older than the NT) with primitive views of evil. Or perhaps they need to tow the line.

Satan is not a person.

I believe in evil. I don't believe in creatures that make us do evil things.

Satan is the symbol of evil within us.

Think about it. How can you believe in a creature that makes you do evil. Whether you do evil or not is up to YOU!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM

30,200 posts, read 15,880,620 times
Satan (The Big Bad Wolf) was invented to keep the flock cowed and compliant. Apparently, it still works for some.

As Julian noted, Satan should be regarded as a mythical being who personifies that which is evil in men: greed, selfishness and intolerance (among others).

Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I am willing to say that the RCC is also a very old institution (older than the NT) with primitive views of evil. Or perhaps they need to tow the line.
To say the RCC is older than the NT denies it is Christian and is complete heresy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity