Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I do most of my work by contract, which means I'm usually looking for work. When the time comes for me to put my feelers out for new opportunities, I tend to look far and wide. In doing so, sometimes I come across some unexpected prospects.

A couple of years ago, I applied for an editorial position at a magazine. Things were going well until we got down to the final rounds and they placed a statement of faith before me that I was expected to sign. There was much in the document that I didn't agree with, and in general, I balk at signing anything that tries to nail down what I believe or what I claim as a Christian.

https://sojo.net/articles/why-i-wont...tatement-faith

Quote:
Samaritan's Purse says it provides help to people "regardless of their religious faith, race, gender, or socio-economic standing." But it has been criticized for forcing people to attend church services to receive aid.

The district's move was applauded by Kay Cossar of Burgeo, N.L., who was ousted as a regional volunteer leader for Samaritan's Purse because she refused to sign a statement of faith that denounced same-sex marriage and abortion.

Jeff Adams, a spokesman for Samaritan's Purse Canada, confirmed after Cossar's ouster last year that leaders who represent the group must sign a statement of faith recently changed to explicitly reject gay marriage and abortion.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37166462/

a recent news story in Canada is making me thinking about signing "statements of faith" is this biblical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
https://sojo.net/articles/why-i-wont...tatement-faith

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37166462/

a recent news story in Canada is making me thinking about signing "statements of faith" is this biblical?
So are you concerned about being in agreement on doctrine? Or are you concerned about their practice of requiring people to attend church services?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So are you concerned about being in agreement on doctrine? Or are you concerned about their practice of requiring people to attend church services?

concerned about both

Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
concerned about both
Let's tackle the doctrine one first, as you have made that the subject of the post.

What's wrong with asking those we're doing ministry with to agree to basic principles of the faith?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Let's tackle the doctrine one first, as you have made that the subject of the post.

What's wrong with asking those we're doing ministry with to agree to basic principles of the faith?
doing charity work like helping poor children is not doing ministry work

Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It isn't? Then why do the liberal Christians continually rant about how conservative churches don't do enough? If it's not ministry, why should churches be expected to do it?

Mind you, I disagree--I think Jesus did command Christians to do charitable good works. Churches certainly DO have the mandate to help the poor.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Statement of Faith = legalistic document held by some for purposes of self-authority, self-rule, and veiled pressure. Man craves control over others, and resorts to documents and self-appointed approaches controlled by man. Despite whatever window-dressing is put on it, it's not of God. These documents are pure religious crap, and in today's atmosphere and political leanings, prone to abuse.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
This seems to be more for business than any faith to God , as the only statement of Faith that God would see is people who go and get water baptized , which God authored for a statement of repentance

Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Jesus came to set us FREE.....tithing not needed, baptism not needed, attendance not needed, confessing not needed.......only believe Jesus and the gospel He gave Paul......no need to bind yourself in legalese

Old 12-08-2017, 03:06 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Incorrect. The term ministry means "service."
Doing charity work is service.

Quote:
In Biblical Times, making someone "sign" a statement of faith wouldn't have been necessary, but today it is, seeing as how the day may come when the organization may be required to "Remove the evil person from among you." (1 Cor 5:13)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity