Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM

302 posts, read 553,783 times

Advertisements

THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." John 15:12

Love is from the Greek "Agapao". This word does not represent an emotional love, but rather a self-sacrificing, obedient fulfilling of duty.

LOVE SUFFERETH LONG; [Love is very patient.]

AND IS KIND; [Love is understanding and tries to find a way to be helpful.]

LOVE ENVIETH NOT; [Is never jealous of the gifts, talents, or position of others.]

LOVE VAUNTETH NOT ITSELF, [Love makes no parade of
itself, nor is anxious to impress others.]

IS NOT PUFFED UP, [Is never arrogant or conceited.]

DOES NOT BEHAVE ITSELF UNSEEMLY, [Is never rude.]

SEEKETH NOT ITS OWN, [Never insists on having its own way, is never self-seeking.]

IS NOT PROVOKED, [Is never irritable or touchy.]

TAKETH NOT ACCOUNT OF EVIL; [Is not resentful and takes no notice of the wrong done to it.]

REJOICETH NOT IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, [Love finds no joy in sin.]

BUT REJOICETH WITH THE TRUTH; [It finds great joy in
doing God's will.]

BEARETH ALL THINGS, [Love is slow to expose the faults in others and finds a way to overlook them.]

BELIEVETH ALL THINGS, [Is always eager to believe the best about others and trust them.]

HOPETH ALL THINGS, [Love is confident in God's providence in all circumstances.]

ENDURETH ALL THINGS; [Accepts present circumstances as being God's will."]
CAPS - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ASV; [Commentary]

Love is not something that we "feel" for another, but rather, something that we "do" in ourselves. It is the very death of self.

Harold and Donna Kupp

Last edited by Donna Kupp; 10-20-2009 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: corrected spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Yes...this kind of love is a love that God deserves...and it is our duty and responsibility to express our love for Him in this way...it is our "reasonable service" unto Him for all that He has done for us.

A dutiful love. Our moral obligation...because he is worthy! Amen!

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-20-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." John 15:12

Love is from the Greek "Agapao". This word does not represent an emotional love, but rather a self-sacrificing, obedient fulfilling of duty.

LOVE ENVIETH NOT; [Is never jealous of the gifts, talents, or position of others.]

SEEKETH NOT ITS OWN, [Never insists on having its own way, is never self-seeking.]

TAKETH NOT ACCOUNT OF EVIL; [Is not resentful and takes no notice of the wrong done to it.]

doing God's will.]

BEARETH ALL THINGS, [Love is slow to expose the faults in others and finds a way to overlook them.]

BELIEVETH ALL THINGS, [Is always eager to believe the best about others and trust them.]

HOPETH ALL THINGS, [Love is confident in God's providence in all circumstances.]

Love is not something that we "feel" for another, but rather, something that we "do" in ourselves. It is the very death of self.

Harold and Donna Kupp
Well Said....sometimes well meaning Christians forget that the greatest way we show our Love for God is in living, loving and sacrificing for our fellow man instead of ourselves.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Yes...this kind of love is a love that God deserves...and it is our duty and responsibility to express our love for Him in this way...it is our "reasonable service" unto Him for all that He has done for us.

A dutiful love. Our moral obigation...because he is worthy! Amen!
Amen, dear sister, Verna. Every day we have the opportunity to experience what the apostle meant when he said:

"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14

Donna

Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT

doing God's will.]

Harold and Donna Kupp

Hey...something I AGREE with Harold and Donna on!

I've said for a long time love is not something you neccessarily feel (you might, or you might not) as much as it is an action...something you do. Lots of times I will feel absolutely nothing (in my carnal self), but I will try to do the right thing anyway. Why? Because, that is what love does...it does the right thing, regardless of whether our feelings line up with it or not. We are supposed to live by faith, not feelings.

For example: do you pray for that irritating, overbearing, micro-managing, "know-it-all" boss at work? The one who always seems to "rub you the wrong way", and leaves you with feelings of frustration and anger? If you follow the way of love, you will pray for that person, instead of complaining about them. (yeah, I know: it's not easy )

Good post Donna!

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 10-20-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Hey....at last...something I AGREE with Harold and Donna on!

I've said for a long time love is not something you neccessarily feel (you might, or you might not) as much as it is an action...something you do. Lots of times I will feel absolutely nothing (in my carnal self), but I will try to do the right thing anyway. Why? Because, that is what love does...it does the right thing, regardless of whether our feelings line up with it or not. We are supposed to live by faith, not feelings.

For example: do you pray for that irritating, overbearing, micro-managing, "know-it-all" boss at work? The one who always seems to "rub you the wrong way", and leaves you with feelings of frustration and anger? If you follow the way of love, you will pray for that person, instead of complaining about them. (yeah, I know: it's not easy )

Good post Donna!

Bud
...Praise God from Whom all blessings flow......AMEN!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:49 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default The Divine Beauty Of Jesus' Words !!!

Quote:
THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT

doing God's will.]

Harold and Donna Kupp
How Greatly refreshing it is to read a most "Profound" post such as this !

You are to be highly commended for your greatly "Inspirational" offering !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT

doing God's will.]

Harold and Donna Kupp
All much easier to say, and talk about, than to actually do....

Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
All much easier to say, and talk about, than to actually do....
Ah, yes, ... but ... "with God, all things are possible!"

Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, ... but ... "with God, all things are possible!"
Yes...the operative phrase being "with God..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity