Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Just curious.

How does your view of the "sacrament" compare to my papist view?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so if I'm missing the mark here, please tell me. We actually believe in essentially the same seven sacraments the Catholics do, though we interpret them somewhat differently and refer to them as ordinances. The one ordinance we call "the Sacrament" is the one you refer to as Communion, unless I'm mistaken (or perhaps, Eucharist or the Lord's Supper).

We don't believe in transubstantiation or real presence. To us, the bread and water (as opposed to wine, but that's too far off topic for this thread) are emblems of Christ's sacrifice and are taken in remembrance of His body and blood. When we take the Sacrament, it's to renew our baptismal covenants.

Interestingly, the Sacrament prayers are only two of three prayers in our Church that must be said verbatim. The prayer on the bread goes like this:

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."

The prayer on the water goes like this:

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this water to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen."

Does that pretty much answer your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
. . . To us, the bread and water (as opposed to wine, but that's too far off topic for this thread)
You don't need to worry about that here. You can write about that, because it was brought up anyway. We're just writing and asking, making friendly comments here without criticism. No biggie! Because of the nature of the thread, many things will come up.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Katzpur, there are no teaching by those who have gone to school for the purpose?
No there aren't. None of the LDS Church leadership have attended theological seminaries or divinity school. We do have a ton of materials a person can use in preparing a "talk" to present to the congregation, though.

Quote:
Do you have favorite teachers?
Twice a year (in April and October), the LDS Church has a General Conference in Salt Lake City, which is broadcast worldwide in 60 or so different languages. The speakers at this conference are the "General Authorities" or Church leadership. These men are, for the most part, excellent speakers. Some I enjoy more than others, of course. A lot of them have masters and doctorate degrees from universities such as Harvard, Yale, Berkley and Duke, but none of their degrees are in theology. All of them were called to discontinue their careers (in everything from law to medicine) and serve full-time in the Church's leadership.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM

Ah! Thank you.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Seriously! Do you remember the next day what was taught/preached where you attended? Sometimes, I think that what is taught does the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other thing -- way too often. We walk away having learned nothing.

And there are places of worship that teach (or preach) the same thing every weekend, no change. Amazing. So everyone just goes and either listens to the same ol' same ol' or they snooze through it all.

Other places of worship are more interested in getting through the liturgy as soon as possible so everyone can go have lunch. It, then, means nothing or next-to-nothing to those who hear and respond.

So it is really unfair for me to answer my own question here now, since my time of worship was just hours ago, but get this started, I will.
__________________________________________________ ____

While the teacher's handout was on Yom Kippur, the teacher taught about Messiah as High Priest and what He is doing as High Priest. Right now, I am studying the reformed doctrine, so it was very relevant to me.
__________________________________________________ ____

So this is an opportunity for you to either:
  1. solidify what was taught at your place of worship by retelling it here
  2. see if you can tell us, a day after you went, what was taught.
"G-d Winks" Have we been open to what G-d is saying to us? I loved this term! In the last few years G-d has been smacking me in the face and walking with me. Anyway some of it was about how we have lived our lives. Have we been open to what our purpose is and why we are here. Have we used our special gifts?

My rabbi is such a mentor and friend to me and everything she says is full of wisdom.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
"G-d Winks" Have we been open to what G-d is saying to us? I loved this term! In the last few years G-d has been smacking me in the face and walking with me. Anyway some of it was about how we have lived our lives. Have we been open to what our purpose is and why we are here. Have we used our special gifts?

My rabbi is such a mentor and friend to me and everything she says is full of wisdom.
Well, he's got your attention now!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
If a person is actually interested in what is taught, they will remember.

However, that has nothing to do with whether the sermon is all correct or not. It also has nothing to do with what structure a church uses. You either are interested and remember, or your not and you won't.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM

And some people have serious temporary issues, things that cause them to be preoccupied, so the teachings may not "stick." Concern for someone who is gravely ill, loss of a loved one, an errant child, marriage problems, personal illness, financial problems. I sure would not be quick to judge such. I am sure that if someone had asked me about a teaching 30 minutes after it, when I was going through the concerns over my daughter's cancer or when my first spouse died, or even when contending with lighter issues, I could not have told you about them.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
If a person is actually interested in what is taught, they will remember.

However, that has nothing to do with whether the sermon is all correct or not. It also has nothing to do with what structure a church uses. You either are interested and remember, or your not and you won't.

Sometimes it does not all stay because sometimes there is a lot to incorporate or sometimes folks can be preoccupied with a life issue.

I know the last sermon I heard she put it on her website and I read over it several times and each time I picked up something I had missed in the sermon.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And some people have serious temporary issues, things that cause them to be preoccupied, so the teachings may not "stick." Concern for someone who is gravely ill, loss of a loved one, an errant child, marriage problems, personal illness, financial problems. I sure would not be quick to judge such. I am sure that if someone had asked me about a teaching 30 minutes after it, when I was going through the concerns over my daughter's cancer or when my first spouse died, or even when contending with lighter issues, I could not have told you about them.

yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity