Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
The premise of the OP is foolishness to begin with. Too many testimonies like myself that have 'experienced' the presence and change with Christ in our lives.
Personal subjective experiences inherently can't be valid input for anyone but the experiencer. Nor is this a principle adhered to only by unbelievers ... it is a fairly important teaching of many non-charistmatic evangelicals. By their lights, personal experience cannot be trusted, especially compare to scriptures, which are believed to provide 100% of any needed direction / guidance in matters of religious faith and practice.

So not only are your experiences -- even if supposedly shared by many others -- useless to others, there are many Christians who believe they are unreliable even for you.

When considering any truth claim, one must consider the available evidence that the claim is true, as well as any logical argument on offer in favor of the claim. Other's testimony of personal subjective experiences does not count as evidence or logical argument.

Next, one must consider the consequentiality and extraordinariness of the claims. The more consequential and extraordinary the claim, the higher the bar must be raised before belief can be afforded to the claim.

The existence of an afterlife, much less one that threatens infinite / eternal punishment for finite transgressions, is about as consequential a thing as can be imagined. Also, given that both heaven and hell are invisible and merely asserted to exist, the dead conveniently prohibited somehow from reaching back into SHARED reality (as opposed to the private perceptions of select individuals) to tell us anything about the afterlife, heaven and hell are also about as extraordinary a claim as can be made. This combination of consequentiality and extraordinariness raises the bar for evidential and logical requirements approximately as high as they can possibly BE raised.

I suspect that you don't like either the high bar or the inadmissibility of your alleged experiences, but they are and must exist nevertheless, for people at least with decent and appropriate evidentiary standards.
Quote:
Bottom line: 1. The Weiss family cannot answer, personally, every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes down the pike.
No, but it isn't unreasonable for them to answer every serious inquiry that they possibly can, given the concern that they would naturally have for the eternal destiny of people. And I am assuming that they are about something more than simply selling books, and have a genuine concern for souls. The evidence of this concern would be active engagement, by all feasible means and channels, of all honest inquiry on the matter. And if in fact the Weiss family has sound logic and evidence in their favor, they should be eager to present this evidence without a requirement that the people they present to must be biased in favor of the Weiss family beliefs. The whole point is to change the minds of people who are indifferent or opposed to their notions. And if they are coming from a position of strength, they should relish the opportunity to engage in a 21st century manner with inquirers -- not limiting themselves to the arm's length engagement of the publishing world, but using social media as a powerful adjunct.
Quote:
2. You have made the choice NOT to believe. There's nothing that they or anyone else can say to make a difference.
I have made no such choice. My beliefs are predicated on facts and argument in evidence that are in my field of awareness. All you have to do -- ALL you have to do -- to change my beliefs is make a credible argument and/or present credible evidence that will change the preponderance of evidence that I'm aware of. So your assertion that nothing the Weiss family or anyone else can say will make a difference, is simply an admission that you have no evidence or logical argument -- AT ALL -- on offer. That is your issue, not mine.
Quote:
The enemy has you right where he wants you, and until you hit a bottom in your life, you will get to experience this place, personally.
This is another asserted truth for which you need to cite empirical evidence or logical argument in its favor. Note that personal subjective experience and quotes from holy books do not count in this regard.
Quote:
3. Jesus said the road to hell is wide and many will travel. The road to heaven is narrow and few will find it.
Interesting that a deity who is said to be all loving would structure things in such a way that he brings into existence / consciousness billions of sentient beings over thousands of years, knowing full well that most will pass into an eternity of torment for simply seeing no valid reason to afford belief to claims that are clearly fantastical. If "god is not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to a knowledge of the truth", then in what sense can "narrow is the way, and few there be that find it" be considered a good-faith effort to show himself as concerned and benevolent as he is claimed to be?
Quote:
He has given us free will. He could have made robots and programmed us to love Him and do good, but that's not how He wanted it designed.
And yet somehow in your belief-system it is magically NOT a problem or a violation of free will in the sweet by-and-by where 100% of everyone will love and worship god and live in harmony.
Quote:
Accept Christ, live a good life, and spend eternity with Him .... OR, choose to keep our stubborn will, die and spend eternity in the place Weiss describes.
This is the explicit, mafia-like threat that Weiss is hawking. Believe or else. Pretty typical "value" proposition coming from a fundamentalist Christian. I am amazed that you not only endorse this but are okay with it -- proud of it, even.
Quote:
God wouldn't want folk like you with Him anyway, that doesn't want to be there to begin with!
Particularly in that, as a former fundamentalist Christian, I demonstrated a willingness to embrace the beliefs and ruleset of that faith, you might wish to consider that it has nothing to do with "not wanting to be there". It is an inability to believe that it's there TO be in. Due to your inability to evidence it or produce a sound logical argument in its favor.
Quote:
If folk like you are right, and Christians are wrong, then Christ followers live a good life, die, and stay 6 feet under. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain for surrendering to Christ.

If the Christians are right and the unbelievers are wrong, .... what then? They live like hell and spend eternity there! Nothing to gain and everything to lose by rebelling.
It is weak arguments like Pascal's Wager and your inability to address the rational objections to it (primarily that it is a false dichotomy that fails to take into account the myriad other conflicting truth-claims both inside and outside of Christianity) that undermines your ability to convince thinking people to adopt your beliefs.

By the way, I am not "rebelling". It is impossible to rebel (and/or hate, and/or be disappointed in) something that, so far as I can determine, doesn't even exist.
Quote:
.... That's why all the other faiths are wrong ...
Seriously? We're all mad, and you lot are the only sane people in the world?
Quote:
So many things we don't understand about Christ because God has told us, His thoughts and ways our higher than our thoughts and ways.
Hand-waving dismissals of people's logical concerns will not get you far. Consider how that's been working for you so far. After 2,000 years, Christianity -- even generously defined as "those who claim to be Christians" -- account for about a third of the world population, and is in decline at that. Defined as YOU do ... where Christians are "those who believe my particularly personal subjective interpretation of scripture" ... and you're a tiny minority. And this is what "not willing that any should perish" Jehovah has managed to accomplish ... not only in two millennia of Christianity but roughly six millennia or so of him "revealing" himself to humanity. Pretty unimpressive.
Quote:
Is eternity something you really want to gamble with? Something that you cannot change your mind about once you leave these earthly bodies??????
Entirely so. That is like me asking you if you want to gamble that the Holy Squirrel will not take you to his great nut cache in the sky if you don't believe in him and roast two chestnuts a day in his honor. There is no reason to think there is such a thing, and I'm not entirely sure that I want to spend eternity in a bunker full of nuts anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 12:20 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinezcbc View Post
My church showed Mr. Weise video. I was saddened to see most of my brothers and sisters fall this madness. I did my study on him and his ministry.
I'm a follower of Christ. I see a few things that raised a red flag on his videos and talks. I'm going to mention one. He talks about the demons walking back and forth in hell tormenting souls. Show me in the Word of God that demons are tormenting sinners? There isn't . Hell was ment for Satan and demons to BE tormented not to torment. That alone should followers of Christ to test ALL things 1 Thessalonians 5:21. Check it out for yourself. I use to be in the entertainment industry what I see is nothing but entertainment. The scary music in the back ground, scary videos etc etc.

I use to follow Hinduism and I've met gurus that had the same experience but with different gods. NDE was very common. Dreams , visions etc.

Brothers and sisters I DO NOT HATE or I'm judging Mr. Weise but like the bereans in the book of Acts I MUST and have to test his teachings. There are other teachings in his videos and talks that are far off. All I can say is this. Test it out , Study and read what God has to say not Mr. Weise. I love you in Christ our Lord our King. KEEP YOUR EYES ON CHRIST not man.
Why would it not happen?
Descriptions of Hell in the Bible are brief and hardly comprehensive, or all revealing.
Somewhere you are going to spend eternity is not going to be fully described in a few verses.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Why would it not happen?
Descriptions of Hell in the Bible are brief and hardly comprehensive, or all revealing.
Somewhere you are going to spend eternity is not going to be fully described in a few verses.
You still haven't explained how Hitler (who was a Christian btw) can be seen burning in your hell....and still have his hair and moustache!!

Old 12-11-2016, 04:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes but they did not commit to engaging with people here. They want a private conversation with the OP.

I do hope they will engage on this thread though, they should regard it as an opportunity. And if some here would have logical reservations -- well if they have logical answers that, too, is an opportunity.
Want to put some money on them not subjecting themselves to challenges. It's much easier for them to fleece the gullible with their dumb books.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 2,666 times
The one paragraph that really, really popped the bubble for me was, when he told us of his friend Jake Greenwald, a survivor of USS Indianapolis which sank in World War 2. This of course is the same story told in Jaws about the 900 men who went into the water and the sharks feasted on about 600. oops I have to say I was wrong, I researched this information and Jacob Greenwald was indeed a survivor of this tragic sinking, and he died in 2007. So it is quite plausible that he did know know him.
10 Sep 1945
(1stSgt) Marine Detachment, Uss Indianapolis

Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 PM

168 posts, read 69,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You still haven't explained how Hitler (who was a Christian btw) can be seen burning in your hell....and still have his hair and moustache!!
This man or others may be having dreams or NDE's, but it is not from God, not the God who despises the Idea of hell. (Assumption, based on many verses.)

Or could it be a load of crap to sell books. Tell the people what they want to hear and profit off of it, Like the left behind movies.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
What dude said doesn't match up to anything in the bible, he is just making things up or maybe he is delusional, more like, delusional.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
.. The response seemed more like a marketing tool than anything else.

And the following is the response that I got from Bill's wife Annette:

Thanks for writing. Most of your questions are addressed in Bill’s new book, “23 Questions about hell” which comes with a bonus DVD. If you don’t want to spend the $10-15 for the book/DVD, I’m sure you can read it while at Wal-mart or a bookstore. We encourage you to get scriptural information first, before falsely accusing God of being unfair. Mark Twain even said, “We’re all ignorant, it’s just about different things.” Hosea 4:6 says, “My people perish for a lack of knowledge… because they have rejected knowledge (God’s Word).

Annette
Seems like the opposite of a marketing tool.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiling Bible Truth View Post
...but it is not from God, not the God who despises the Idea of hell.
I love when people remind us that God (would) despise the idea of hell...I mean if He bothers Himself with it at all....a God of Pure Love...this not a popular belief here, I know.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 1,942,585 times
this is post 1800 American Christianity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity