Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I would say there was something else that powered those out bursts from your family...However, Who cares how many were there, it has nothing to do with the Gospel...It is like argueing over how many gallons of wine Christ made from water...It was a miracle...
Dear Richard, I think it is very important. There are people out there that love finding "supposed" contradictions in the Bible and then using that information to deceive people.

If there were just two crucified with Christ then we have major contradictions. We would have two crucified with Christ before His garments were divided and the same two crucified with Christ after the dividing of His garments.

I don't agree this is like arguing how many gallons of wine Christ made from water because the Bible gives no account of that. Now if one account said He made 10 gallons and another said 20 then we'd have to look and see if He did this miracle two times in two different places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Yeah I know....and Paul taught the law didn't need to be followed....but then with his hypocritical self turned around and took a Nazarite vow...but it is what it is right?
Paul said "to the Jew he became as a Jew so as to win the Jew."

It was not hypocritical. Paul told the believers of the nations not to mix law with grace, that we of the nations are not under law but under grace.

1 Corinthians 9:19-22 CLV (19) For, being free of all, I enslave myself to all, that I should be gaining the more." (20) And I became to the Jews as a Jew, that I should be gaining Jews; to those under law as under law (not being myself under law), that I should be gaining those under law;" (21) to those without law as without law (not being without God's law, but legally Christ's), that I should be gaining those without law." (22) I became as weak to the weak, that I should be gaining the weak. To all have I become all, that I should undoubtedly be saving some."

By the way, the Latin Vulgate says the vow refered to Aquila.

It's like me. I tell people how wrong Catholicism is but when I'm with my family I sometimes go to their Catholic church to win them. I'm not a hypocrite.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Paul said "to the Jew he became as a Jew so as to win the Jew."

It was not hypocritical. Paul told the believers of the nations not to mix law with grace, that we of the nations are not under law but under grace.

1 Corinthians 9:19-22 CLV (19) For, being free of all, I enslave myself to all, that I should be gaining the more." (20) And I became to the Jews as a Jew, that I should be gaining Jews; to those under law as under law (not being myself under law), that I should be gaining those under law;" (21) to those without law as without law (not being without God's law, but legally Christ's), that I should be gaining those without law." (22) I became as weak to the weak, that I should be gaining the weak. To all have I become all, that I should undoubtedly be saving some."

By the way, the Latin Vulgate says the vow refered to Aquila.

It's like me. I tell people how wrong Catholicism is but when I'm with my family I sometimes go to their Catholic church to win them. I'm not a hypocrite.
hyp·o·crite

1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

I stand by what I said. One can't preach that the law is not to be followed...that it is useless and obsolete and then turn around and take a Nazarite vow which included purification and a sacrifice...and let's not forget the fact that he also circumcised Timothy....this defines Paul as the biggest hypocrite around...lying for Jesus...not a new concept for it's done all the time.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Dear Richard, I think it is very important. There are people out there that love finding "supposed" contradictions in the Bible and then using that information to deceive people.

If there were just two crucified with Christ then we have major contradictions. We would have two crucified with Christ before His garments were divided and the same two crucified with Christ after the dividing of His garments.

I don't agree this is like arguing how many gallons of wine Christ made from water because the Bible gives no account of that. Now if one account said He made 10 gallons and another said 20 then we'd have to look and see if He did this miracle two times in two different places.
And i would say that this is what satan wants you to focus on...It says that if a person rejects the Gospel he is not rejecting you but Christ...So shake the dust off you feet and move on...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
hyp·o·crite

I stand by what I said. One can't preach that the law is not to be followed...that it is useless and obsolete and then turn around and take a Nazarite vow which included purification and a sacrifice...and let's not forget the fact that he also circumcised Timothy....this defines Paul as the biggest hypocrite around...lying for Jesus...not a new concept for it's done all the time.
O.K. Christy, if that's what you want to believe.

Here is an article on Paul circumcising Timothy: http://www.rationalchristianity.net/circumcision.html
Peace

Last edited by Eusebius; 09-29-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
O.K. Christy, if that's what you want to believe.

Here is an article on Paul circumcising Timothy: Circumcision
Peace
hyp·o·crite

What you've posted does not negate what I stated and what the scripture clearly states....they were involved in hypocritical behavior....acting in contradiction of their stated beliefs....in order to appease someone else....in essence, LYING FOR JESUS.

No matter how one tries to spin it or justify it...it doesn't change what it actually is....now does it?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
hyp·o·crite

What you've posted does not negate what I stated and what the scripture clearly states....they were involved in hypocritical behavior....acting in contradiction of their stated beliefs....in order to appease someone else....in essence, LYING FOR JESUS.

No matter how one tries to spin it or justify it...it doesn't change what it actually is....now does it?
Let alone shaming a brother in Christ to his face in public (Galatians 2:11)...or calling the "Apostles" (there were only 12) followers of Satan (2 Corinthians 11:13), not very loving indeed......

Old 09-30-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Christy, we aren't making the bible say anything. We are just going by what the Bible says and basing our conclusions on that.

1 malefactor had Jesus as his Lord
1 malefactor blasphemed Jesus
1 robber dissed Jesus
1 robber dissed Jesus

To malefactors led with Jesus to be crucified BEFORE the dividing of the garments.

Two robbers crucified with Jesus AFTER the dividing of the garments.

We didn't make this up. It is what it is.
I read all the sections pertaining to the crucifiction in all four Gospels...the place you got your information at and the person who wrote it is missing some patterns of speach like mentioning something as an afterthought or restating something farther along...

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
hyp·o·crite

In other words they were human?...Also, Paul says right up front tat 'i am all things to all people so that i might save some'....

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
In other words they were human?...Also, Paul says right up front tat 'i am all things to all people so that i might save some'....
Right...it was his practice to LIE FOR JESUS...which doesn't give him much credibility in my book. One shouldn't have to lie or put on a false show to attract believers....buy hey....it's done every day and there are plenty of false believers to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity