Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The 11 Apostles drew straws trusting that God would make His choice...Do you really think God was not involved in that?...

Well, i don't presume to know for certain one way or the other, though it does seem to me to have been a desperate measure. I do know that the new testament teaches that Christ appeared to the apostle Paul and that Paul was taught all of his understanding of the Gospel by the resurrected Christ while in Arabia without any oversight by the other apostles for three years. If he did not recieve the Gospel from Christ, then from whom could he have received it?

His understanding of the Gospel seems light years ahead of the other apostles when one compares the letters of Paul with the other letters of the New Testament. Also, of all the apostles Paul obviously had the most effect on the Christian world through his various writings and through is evangelical works.

I suppose it is up to each Christian to decide who they think was the legitimate 12th apostle, as the scriptures do not specify.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough ...

Peace ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 09-30-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

I suppose it is up to each Christian to decide who they think was the legitimate 12th apostle, as the scriptures do not specify.

Peace ...

Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I also suppose that if you decide to throw out Paul as a true apostle, then by necessity you have to throw out Luke and Peter as well ... As luke was the right hand man and companion of Paul, and Paul is mentioned in 2 Peter 3:15 as a "beloved Brother" in Christ.

So once you get rid of all the writings of Paul, Luke, and Peter ... Whats left?

A Swiss Cheese Gospel that is bereft of any in depth elucidation.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
I also suppose that if you decide to throw out Paul as a true apostle, then by necessity you have to throw out Luke and Peter as well ... As luke was the right hand man and companion of Paul, and Paul is mentioned in 2 Peter 3:15 as a "beloved Brother" in Christ.

So once you get rid of all the writings of Paul, Luke, and Peter ... Whats left?

A Swiss Cheese Gospel that is bereft of any in depth elucidation.
I just stay away from ALL the epistles (letters) to avoid contentions. I repped you on the basis of our agreeing to disagree...for we will find out soon enough...didn't you say the same? ...

Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I just stay away from ALL the epistles (letters) to avoid contentions. I repped you on the basis of our agreeing to disagree...for we will find out soon enough...didn't you say the same? ...
Indubitably ...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Here is a good answer concerning the Circumcision of Timothy ...

It is okay if you consider Paul to have been a hypocrite, in fact every person alive on earth is an hypocrite. I believe that it is not a matter of whether or not someone is hypocritical, but the reasons for their hypocrisy.

I personally do not believe that being all things to all people is a bad thing, especially for one at liberty. So long as one accomplishes the work one is commissioned to do.

If we go around expecting everyone else to get on our level, and the refuse to get on their level, we are acting as if we were an island unto ourselves, and we only serve to alienate ourselves.

Sometimes it is necessary to appeal to another persons since of right and wrong, so that you do not cause those who are weaker in faith than yourself to stumble ...

Paul never denied his methods, and he expressly made very good and reasonable apologies for them.

The spirit moves in mysterious way, and causes foolish things to rise up and confound the wisdom of men.

But this is all a very spiritual concept, and i don't expect everyone or even most people to understand it or be able to appreciate it.

"When in Rome" ... Thank God for our liberty in Christ.

Peace ...
I could not have said that better myself...very lucid...this is the way i see it also...after all Paul also said why should my liberty be judged ny another's conscience...Even if Paul was a hypocryte, it does not negate the Truth...Just because you see your Driver improvement instructor speeding down the road does not negate the truth when he teaches that speeding is illegal...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
A good food for thoughts...

P.S. And what did Saul try to do to David...the anointed of God...?
That is going to take some deep unbiased research...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Well, i don't presume to know for certain one way or the other, though it does seem to me to have been a desperate measure. I do know that the new testament teaches that Christ appeared to the apostle Paul and that Paul was taught all of his understanding of the Gospel by the resurrected Christ while in Arabia without any oversight by the other apostles for three years. If he did not recieve the Gospel from Christ, then from whom could he have received it?

His understanding of the Gospel seems light years ahead of the other apostles when one compares the letters of Paul with the other letters of the New Testament. Also, of all the apostles Paul obviously had the most effect on the Christian world through his various writings and through is evangelical works.

Peace ...
maybe those 12 dedicated in Rev. are for the original 12...Maybe we just assume that Judas is out because of what he did...and there were over 300 Gospels that eraenius had to choose from to be cannonized and settled on the 4 we know does that make any of the others without merit?...People say that the Gospel of Thomas is heretical, however, Thomas was one of the Apostles who went to India to spread the Gospel, are we to say that Thomas was wrong but the other 11 were on target?...Look at Paul and Peter, they were in disagreement over certain things...Sometimes people settle for the easiest to understand and comprehend because either they or to lazy to dig deep or just do not have the patience for it...

Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
There were 120 disciples (students of Jesus) Acts 1:15 and ONLY 12 Apostles (disciples who became teachers under the tutelage of Jesus) Revelation 21:14 and 3 witnesses of the transfiguration (Peter, James, and John)...the most intimate companions of Jesus.

Thus, when someone mentions the word "Apostles", he could only mean the 12...they had to be under the tutelage of Jesus, as the main criteria of becoming an Apostle...

Peace!
In scriptural fact Ans, Jesus most intimate companions were Lazarus, and his two sisters, Mary, and Martha. Jesus did not keep Peter, James, and John close as part of his "inner circle" because they were his most intimate companions...Jesus kept his "enemies" close because of those disciples whom Jesus called, and appointed unto the apostolic ministry, Peter, James, and John were the most unbelieving. They represented a threefold cord of unbelief..."and a threefold cord is not quickly broken." Jesus broke this threefold cord of unbelief at the advent of (John) 21:14 saying, "This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead." The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you joy...

Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Here is a good answer concerning the Circumcision of Timothy ...

It is okay if you consider Paul to have been a hypocrite, in fact every person alive on earth is an hypocrite. I believe that it is not a matter of whether or not someone is hypocritical, but the reasons for their hypocrisy.

I personally do not believe that being all things to all people is a bad thing, especially for one at liberty. So long as one accomplishes the work one is commissioned to do.

If we go around expecting everyone else to get on our level, and the refuse to get on their level, we are acting as if we were an island unto ourselves, and we only serve to alienate ourselves.

Sometimes it is necessary to appeal to another persons since of right and wrong, so that you do not cause those who are weaker in faith than yourself to stumble ...

Paul never denied his methods, and he expressly made very good and reasonable apologies for them.

The spirit moves in mysterious way, and causes foolish things to rise up and confound the wisdom of men.

But this is all a very spiritual concept, and i don't expect everyone or even most people to understand it or be able to appreciate it.

"When in Rome" ... Thank God for our liberty in Christ.

Peace ...
So....I guess it's really OK to LIE FOR JESUS....as long as ones intentions are good....Gotcha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity