Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM

40 posts, read 53,875 times

Advertisements

Here's the way I see it. I don't think there was hypocrisy in Paul's practice of the law. This is because Peter's situation with shunning the Gentiles was different from Paul ritual practices. Peter's hypocrisy stemmed from his judgment of the gentiles no his actually practice of the law. In judging the gentiles Peter was putting out a statement that those that observed the law are better than those who do not, essentially pushing justification through Christ to the back ground. And I'm not sure Paul does that with his practice of the law. His belief that Christ justifies seems to stand, in spite of him "becoming all things to all men". Imo, for Paul to be a hypocrite there has to be evidence of Paul elevating the practiced law over his belief in Christ.

I hope tht made sense, it sounded better in my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchance3 View Post
Here's the way I see it. I don't think there was hypocrisy in Paul's practice of the law. This is because Peter's situation with shunning the Gentiles was different from Paul ritual practices. Peter's hypocrisy stemmed from his judgment of the gentiles no his actually practice of the law. In judging the gentiles Peter was putting out a statement that those that observed the law are better than those who do not, essentially pushing justification through Christ to the back ground. And I'm not sure Paul does that with his practice of the law. His belief that Christ justifies seems to stand, in spite of him "becoming all things to all men". Imo, for Paul to be a hypocrite there has to be evidence of Paul elevating the practiced law over his belief in Christ.

Pay close attention:

hyp·o·crite

1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Acts 21 among others....tells the story of his hypocritical actions. He claimed time and time again that the law was abolished/that circumcision was nothing and meant nothing, etc...and yet, in order to appease and please others (which would be acting in contradiction to ones stated beliefs), he followed the law and took a vow. That is hypocritical behavior.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 53,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Pay close attention:

hyp·o·crite

Acts 21 among others....tells the story of his hypocritical actions. He claimed time and time again that the law was abolished/that circumcision was nothing and meant nothing, etc...and yet, in order to appease and please others (which would be acting in contradiction to ones stated beliefs), he followed the law and took a vow. That is hypocritical behavior.

Yes, I think I understand what you mean. But I think I was trying to address the "false appearance" and the "stated beliefs" portion of those definitions. See I don't see Paul going through the purifying ritual in Acts 21 as hypocritical because it doesn't look like it goes against the "stated beliefs" that I have read of Paul and therefore there is no "false appearance". (Of course, the fact that I am not an avid bible reader should be taken into account when considering my opinion). Nevertheless, verses like Acts 23:3, Eph 2:15 Galatians 2, Romans 7 and even Hebrews 7 seem to uphold Paul's actions in Acts 21 and his way of doing things in 1Cor 9:19-23, rather then contradict them. I think that even when Paul talked about the abolition of the law, Jesus' fulfillment of the law (Matt 5:17) seemed to be in mind like in Eph 2:15. So I guess my point is that Paul (and Jesus as well, because though the law wasn't abolished wouldn't there still be a change through Christ's fullfillment?) were not necessarily addressing the law it self, but the need to change the accepted belief that people are justified through practicing these rituals because justification then depends on that person not Christ.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
maybe those 12 dedicated in Rev. are for the original 12...Maybe we just assume that Judas is out because of what he did...and there were over 300 Gospels that eraenius had to choose from to be cannonized and settled on the 4 we know does that make any of the others without merit?...People say that the Gospel of Thomas is heretical, however, Thomas was one of the Apostles who went to India to spread the Gospel, are we to say that Thomas was wrong but the other 11 were on target?...Look at Paul and Peter, they were in disagreement over certain things...Sometimes people settle for the easiest to understand and comprehend because either they or to lazy to dig deep or just do not have the patience for it...
You wrote ...

Quote:
maybe those 12 dedicated in Rev. are for the original 12...Maybe we just assume that Judas is out because of what he did
LOL ... That's crazy, i was thinking the EXACT same thing ... Awesome.

Peace ...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Luke version and how it differs from Paul's...Heard and not saw!
Acts 9:6-7
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me do? And the Lord said unto him,

Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
(this is what was uttered in the hearing of his companion according to Luke.)

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, HEARING a voice, but seeing no man.

Paul's version: Saw but not heard...?
Acts 22:9 And they that were with me SAW indeed the light, and were afraid; but they HEARD NOT the voice of him that spake to me.

Removing the witnesses...???

Finally! Paul's proclamation: Acts 26:14-18

....To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

But then...we can sit at our computer to no end arguing this point, for it is only one's opinion against another. We will find out soon enough...won't we?

"LOVE" is my compass in skimming through passages of the scripture...

Blessings my friend (let's keep trudging)...
That is interesting, seeing that Luke was the author of the entire book of acts. I wonder how that contradiction got passed him?

Neat ...

Perhaps it can be explained by saying the witnesses saw a light but no man, and heard a voice but could not make out the words?

Peace ...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
That is interesting, seeing that Luke was the author of the entire book of acts. I wonder how that contradiction got passed him?

Neat ...

Perhaps it can be explained by saying the witnesses saw a light but no man, and heard a voice but could not make out the words?

Peace ...
Who among us could fathom the works of the Spirit??? "Maybe" Luke was just recording what transpired...imho...

Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
So....I guess it's really OK to LIE FOR JESUS....as long as ones intentions are good....Gotcha!!!
That is not what i said, but if that is what you want to read into my words, more power to ya "little darlin'"! ...

Peace ...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
A good food for thoughts...

P.S. And what did Saul try to do to David...the anointed of God...?
Are you implying tat their is a spiritual correlation of a historical fact between the two?...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchance3 View Post

I have one word...Messianic Jew...actually two words...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Pay close attention:

hyp·o·crite

And what was that vow?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity