Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Maybe your Catholicism is evolving.
Lately I have been criticizing a lot of practices. Like the denial of holy communion to non-catholics.

If other people don't need to receive it, let Jesus Himself command so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:13 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm marrying the missus next year. That's the plan.
Tony getting married!?

June: Too shocked to post!

~Love to you both.......

Old 09-26-2010, 12:21 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Maybe your Catholicism is evolving.
That would be devolving.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Marry who you love, enjoy your life together, screw religion if it tells you otherwise.
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking as I read this thread -- what a CROCK religion is. Why do people let organized religion rule over them? Oh well, to each his/her own.

Heartsong

Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM

She told me she wants to go to church with me next Sunday. Probably her first time attending catholic service

Tony's excited!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:37 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,654 times
Quote:
She told me she wants to go to church with me next Sunday. Probably her first time attending catholic service

Tony's excited!
Congratulations on your engagement Tony - wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Congratulations on your engagement Tony - wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness.
Thank you, DS

I'm aspiring for the life my father lived. A very active public person who used his political muscle to help the church in times of adversity in a hindu majority country.

I know I don't need to do that kind of service in America. But I keep thinking about India and its struggling Christians. Some day I was too young when I set that as one of my ambitions, also growing up in the shadow of my Dad involving himself in such activities.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you, DS

I'm aspiring for the life my father lived. A very active public person who used his political muscle to help the church in times of adversity in a hindu majority country.

I know I don't need to do that kind of service in America. But I keep thinking about India and its struggling Christians. Some day I was too young when I set that as one of my ambitions, also growing up in the shadow of my Dad involving himself in such activities.
You come from a proud and majestic culture and from a people who sacrificed much to throw off the chains of English oppression.

It's inspiring to learn that you are planning to live your life in a way that honors your father for his bravery, integrity, and service to others. There are many ways to be heroic, both large and small--some of the most heroic acts are private ones. It is, however, human nature to get caught up in the mundane and to abandon ideals as either impossible or even (and I hate this particular kind of cynicism) childish and unnecessary. With that said, I know you are a gifted and talented young fellow, so do keep in mind that "to whom much is given, much is expected."

I have a pretty close friend in their 20's who like you is an Indian Catholic and is supremely gifted and talented. I've learned a lot from this person about Indian culture, especially Hindutva. The situations for many minority groups in India, including for Christians, is quite difficult to say the least.

I am expecting great things from you AND from my friend. I hope the future missus knows what she is getting into.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you, DS

PS - If I'm still around at this forum next year I look forward to seeing the wedding photographs. I hope you are going to integrate some Indian traditions into the ceremony.

I have a Hindu friend who has educated me in detail about the Hindu wedding ceremony of his particular region in India, and I must say, I found it fascinating and beautiful. If I wasn't a committed Catholic I would be tempted to convert. The rituals and their meanings are quite beautiful. We could learn a lot in the West from some of the traditions of "your people."

Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
My brother and his wife got married in May in a Catholic church. Neither of them are Catholic. I don't really understand it, but it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity