Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess I just don't see how believing in Jesus - but being a mean, intolerant, unkind person is better than being a loving, tolerant, kind person who has no religious beliefs. If there is a God - and if he created us - I would think that it would make him happier to see people that make the world a better, happier place than people who are mean and unkind and deliberately try to make people feel bad about themselves. But that's just me.
You don't reconize the seriousness of sin. As God said through Paul, that God considers "his children are the ones that come through faith" not just because you're born.

Romans 9:8
In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.

God's Children are those who obtain righteousness by faith. Those who do not are not God's children "because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works" Romans 9:32
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You don't reconize the seriousness of sin. As God said through Paul, that God considers "his children are the ones that come through faith" not just because you're born.

Romans 9:8
In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.

God's Children are those who obtain righteousness by faith. Those who do not are not God's children "because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works" Romans 9:32
Like I said, you and I will never see eye to eye. I'm okay with that. I'm not asking you to change your beliefs. And you certainly aren't going to change mine! I'm at peace with my beliefs and my heart and my life.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you and I will never see eye to eye. I'm okay with that. I'm not asking you to change your beliefs. And you certainly aren't going to change mine! I'm at peace with my beliefs and my heart and my life.
No offense...but I'm not ok with it. As God said he doesn't take pleasure in the death of the unbeliever... nor do I.

I'll still keep on presenting the truth.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

"that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."

John 6:47
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life."

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Ah, the same old tired "you're going to hell if you don't believe as I do" routine. Wow, having been on both sides of this I can really see what others saw all along from the ETer's. A bunch of condemnation, judging and need to instill fear which never brings anyone to Christ. There's no love, and that's the one thing Jesus taught to be the most important! Right, "just believe like I do and you'll avoid hell" has no positive effect whatsoever, only negative. Why can't you ETer's see this? I DID!!! Open your eyes, heart and mind to the scriptural PROOF that ALL will be saved and not just your judgmental selves. Let go of the years of brainwashing and really "see" what is right in front of you. It's all there, right in the scriptures. Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
No offense...but I'm not ok with it. As God said he doesn't take pleasure in the death of the unbeliever... nor do I.

I'll still keep on presenting the truth.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

"that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."

John 6:47
I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life."
Whether or not you are okay with my beliefs is really of no consequence to me. To be perfectly honest with you - that which you preach does not sound divinely inspired at all. If your point is to convert - you might want to rethink your approach.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
Whether or not you are okay with my beliefs is really of no consequence to me. To be perfectly honest with you - that which you preach does not sound divinely inspired at all. If your point is to convert - you might want to rethink your approach.
I'm trying to understand you. You believe God could perhaps be real, but He may not be? Correct? If He is indeed real, don't you want to know? Or are you content not knowing? I'm just curious how you view all this.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Ah, the same old tired "you're going to hell if you don't believe as I do" routine. Wow, having been on both sides of this I can really see what others saw all along from the ETer's. A bunch of condemnation, judging and need to instill fear which never brings anyone to Christ. There's no love, and that's the one thing Jesus taught to be the most important! Right, "just believe like I do and you'll avoid hell" has no positive effect whatsoever, only negative. Why can't you ETer's see this? I DID!!! Open your eyes, heart and mind to the scriptural PROOF that ALL will be saved and not just your judgmental selves. Let go of the years of brainwashing and really "see" what is right in front of you. It's all there, right in the scriptures. Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL!!
I was wondering when you'd appear...nice to hear from you.

Jesus used the word "never" as in never will be forgiven. That "never" overrides the teachings of men of "all" as in all inclusive.

No thanks Ilene, that message is the forbidden fruit......Eve's eyes were opened also

Hey Ilene "Did God really say......"
Matthew 18:3
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 7:23
Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

Galatians 4:30
But what does the Scripture say? "Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman's son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman's son."

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-29-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I'm trying to understand you. You believe God could perhaps be real, but He may not be? Correct? If He is indeed real, don't you want to know? Or are you content not knowing? I'm just curious how you view all this.
I believe that there is no way to know if God exists or not - that's why it is called faith. If God does exist - I do not believe that he is the Bible God that you believe in. I believe that the Bible was written by men to try to explain how things came to be and what we should live for. I do not believe it was divinely inspired. I was not around thousands of years ago to know how it all unfolded but I do not believe that the Bible is alone proof of it's authenticity. The God that I believe exists if one does exist - is like a parent. He created everything and he wants us to be happy. He loves us and is disappointed when we do wrong - but he always loves us, unconditionally. But I don't believe that he has a hand in our day to day lives. Not to say that he has washed his hands of us or turned his backs on us - but he created everything and lets it unfold as it will. I don't believe that God answers the prayers of some but lets other suffer. I don't believe that God hates anyone. To be honest - I think that he is less of a being and more of a loving, creating energy that cannot be seen. I do not believe in heaven and I do not believe in hell. And often times I don't believe in God at all - I just believe that we are here and it's wonderful that we are.
I know that you will probably hate what I have written and you probably hate what I believe. I know you probably think that I believe what I do to justify my bad behavior. All I can say is that this is what I believe from my heart. I believe what I do because of what I have seen and what I have felt and what I have learned. What I believe makes sense to me. I know it won't make sense to you but that's okay with me. I believe that we are all different and we all believe what we need to believe. We are all on different paths and we all have different journeys to make. My journey has been wonderful - filled with love and support and amazing people. I wish the same for everyone - whatever you believe. I do not wish that everyone shared my beliefs - but I do wish that we could all respect each other's beliefs instead of telling everyone how wrong they are and how they are going to suffer for eternity for being who they are.
That's all.
Let the mudslinging begin!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Did you not just say this?
Yes. Thank you for actually quoting me. Now, everyone can see exactly what I did and did not say. By the way, I would strongly suggest that you not attempt to read anything into what I say in the future.

Quote:
Christ is not a covenantel relationship, were we do our part and he does his. That isn't perfection.
I don't expect you to understand, twin.spin. You need to want to in order to be able to. It is perfection indeed, but only by virtue of the fact that we are finite beings who are in need of a Savior, while He is infinite and perfect and able to do for us what none of us can do for ourselves. His perfection covers all of our sins.

By the way, you avoided answering the question I posed to you. I do notice things like that. I intend to continue to repeat it until you respond. I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur
So, you had to believe in Jesus Christ, didn't you? If it was "done," why did you have to "do" anything? Why isn't someone who doesn't believe saved? They've done even less than you to "satisfy God." You believed; they didn't. If you don't have to do anything, it would appear as if the atheists have you beat.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-29-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
I believe that there is no way to know if God exists or not - that's why it is called faith. If God does exist - I do not believe that he is the Bible God that you believe in. I believe that the Bible was written by men to try to explain how things came to be and what we should live for. I do not believe it was divinely inspired. I was not around thousands of years ago to know how it all unfolded but I do not believe that the Bible is alone proof of it's authenticity. The God that I believe exists if one does exist - is like a parent. He created everything and he wants us to be happy. He loves us and is disappointed when we do wrong - but he always loves us, unconditionally. But I don't believe that he has a hand in our day to day lives. Not to say that he has washed his hands of us or turned his backs on us - but he created everything and lets it unfold as it will. I don't believe that God answers the prayers of some but lets other suffer. I don't believe that God hates anyone. To be honest - I think that he is less of a being and more of a loving, creating energy that cannot be seen. I do not believe in heaven and I do not believe in hell. And often times I don't believe in God at all - I just believe that we are here and it's wonderful that we are.
I know that you will probably hate what I have written and you probably hate what I believe. I know you probably think that I believe what I do to justify my bad behavior. All I can say is that this is what I believe from my heart. I believe what I do because of what I have seen and what I have felt and what I have learned. What I believe makes sense to me. I know it won't make sense to you but that's okay with me. I believe that we are all different and we all believe what we need to believe. We are all on different paths and we all have different journeys to make. My journey has been wonderful - filled with love and support and amazing people. I wish the same for everyone - whatever you believe. I do not wish that everyone shared my beliefs - but I do wish that we could all respect each other's beliefs instead of telling everyone how wrong they are and how they are going to suffer for eternity for being who they are.
That's all.
Let the mudslinging begin!
I asked you because I genuinely wanted to know so thank you for being completely honest and taking the time to answer. I better understand where you are coming from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity