Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I believe that there is no way to know if God exists or not - that's why it is called faith. If God does exist - I do not believe that he is the Bible God that you believe in. I believe that the Bible was written by men to try to explain how things came to be and what we should live for. I do not believe it was divinely inspired. I was not around thousands of years ago to know how it all unfolded but I do not believe that the Bible is alone proof of it's authenticity. The God that I believe exists if one does exist - is like a parent. He created everything and he wants us to be happy. He loves us and is disappointed when we do wrong - but he always loves us, unconditionally. But I don't believe that he has a hand in our day to day lives. Not to say that he has washed his hands of us or turned his backs on us - but he created everything and lets it unfold as it will. I don't believe that God answers the prayers of some but lets other suffer. I don't believe that God hates anyone. To be honest - I think that he is less of a being and more of a loving, creating energy that cannot be seen. I do not believe in heaven and I do not believe in hell. And often times I don't believe in God at all - I just believe that we are here and it's wonderful that we are.
I know that you will probably hate what I have written and you probably hate what I believe. I know you probably think that I believe what I do to justify my bad behavior. All I can say is that this is what I believe from my heart. I believe what I do because of what I have seen and what I have felt and what I have learned. What I believe makes sense to me. I know it won't make sense to you but that's okay with me. I believe that we are all different and we all believe what we need to believe. We are all on different paths and we all have different journeys to make. My journey has been wonderful - filled with love and support and amazing people. I wish the same for everyone - whatever you believe. I do not wish that everyone shared my beliefs - but I do wish that we could all respect each other's beliefs instead of telling everyone how wrong they are and how they are going to suffer for eternity for being who they are.
That's all.
Let the mudslinging begin!
Excellent post, Dewdrop. I don't believe in the bible-god concocted by evangelical-fundamentalists either. They act like that is the only category of Christians on the planet. They're wrong about that and so much more. Death will swallow up all the bad things about every one - that is the purpose of death. Nothing that is good will die.

Peace -
Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I think you may have been reading too many Chick tracts, Graham, because it is NOT even biblical that anyone would be turned over to the devil to roast in hell forever. Isn't he going to be roasting too?

That being said, it's good to know that there are a great deal of people who do not believe that comic book nonsense.
Made me laugh. Chick tracts are so pathetic. Ugh!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I asked you because I genuinely wanted to know so thank you for being completely honest and taking the time to answer. I better understand where you are coming from now.
Thank you for not slinging the mud! I'm always honest. I may not be perfect but I lay all my cards out on the table when asked. And sometimes even when not asked. I tend to talk too much! Or at least that's what my husband says!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Thank you for not slinging the mud! I'm always honest. I may not be perfect but I lay all my cards out on the table when asked. And sometimes even when not asked. I tend to talk too much! Or at least that's what my husband says!
My intent was just to understand you better. I never intended to sling the mud My husband thinks I talk too much too. Haha

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,398 times
I do very much believe that when we pass into the spirit world that we find our home to be in the condition of our soul. If that soul has done some pretty nasty things here on earth it will find itself in a dark and perhaps hellish atmosphere. BUT I do believe that all souls will come to know of the Good News and can repent and their conditions can substantially improve.

Then there is, of course, the word of Matthew 5:26, "Verily, I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last farthing." Not "until you have paid the last farthing" (a quarter-penny) holds two operative words: "until", and: "paid". Both tell us, unequivocally, that there is no Eternal Damnation.

The preposition "until" ("up to a stipulated time") attests to there being the possibility of, and condition for, our redemption: when we have paid our debt to the last farthing. If we combine Jesus' word here with his in the former part of Matthew 12:32, "He that sinneth against the son of man, it shall be forgiven him," then there is only one inescapable conclusion: our sins can be forgiven, and will be forgiven when we have reaped what we sowed.

So dark souls will not live in dark places for all eternity!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Jesus used the word "never" as in never will be forgiven. That "never" overrides the teachings of men of "all" as in all inclusive.

Jesus did not speak English, and the new testament was not originally written in English. So you are wrong, Jesus did not say "never" in Mar 3:29 ...

Here are the actual words of the original text, in the original Koine Greek Language, translated into English word for word.

Quote:
Greek Interlinear -

os
hos
G3739
pr Nom Sg m
WHO

d
d
G1161
Conj
YET

an
an
G302
Part
EVER

blasfhmhsh
blasphEmEsE
G987
vs Aor Act 3 Sg
SHOULD-BE-HARM-AVERRING
should-be-blaspheming

eis
eis
G1519
Prep
INTO/UNTO

to
to
G3588
t_ Acc Sg n
THE

pneuma
pneuma
G4151
n_ Acc Sg n
spirit

to
to
G3588
t_ Acc Sg n
THE

agion
hagion
G40
a_ Acc Sg n
HOLY

ouk
ouk
G3756
Part Neg
NOT

ecei
echei
G2192
vi Pres Act 3 Sg
IS-HAVING

aphesin
G859
n_ Acc Sg f
FROM-LETTing
pardon

eis
eis
G1519
Prep
INTO/UNTO

ton
ton
G3588
t_ Acc Sg m
THE

aiwna
aiOna
G165
n_ Acc Sg m
eon

all
all
G235
Conj
but

enocos
enochos
G1777
a_ Nom Sg m
liable

estin
estin
G2076
vi Pres vxx 3 Sg
IS

aiwniou
aiOniou
G166
a_ Gen Sg f
OF-eonian

krisews
kriseOs
G2920
n_ Gen Sg f
JUDGing
So the literal Greek scripture says ...

"os d an blasfhmhsh eis to pneuma to agion ouk ecei afesin eis ton aiwna
all enocos estin aiwniou krisews
"

Translated literally into English the verse says ...

"WHO YET EVER should-be-blaspheming UNTO THE spirit THE HOLY NOT IS-HAVING pardon UNTO THE eon but liable IS OF-eonian JUDGing"

Or ...

"but whoever may speak evil in regard to the Holy Spirit hath not forgiveness -- to the age, but is in danger of age-during judgment"

The Koine Greek word which means never is "oudepote", and that word is not used in Mar 3:29.

You simply refuse to study the scriptures in the original language in order to understand what the scriptures are actually saying but you instead choose to rely on the translations of the scriptures which are influenced by the traditional teachings of the church, and so you are always learning yet are unable to come to a knowledge of the truth concerning the plan and the purpose of God in the ages as is described by the original texts of the bible.

You are willingly ignoring the original language as this has already been discussed on multiple occasions here on this very forum ... But one day God will give you repentance of your hardened heart and its way so that you will finally come to acknowledge the truth, but it might only be after you suffer loss by fire ...

Peace ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 09-29-2010 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Moderator cut: polite interruption

Guys, seems like all we do is wind up insulting one another, flaming and going off the topic everytime Hell is mentioned in this forum..Can't we just have one thread about that without everyone getting "hot under the collar"?

The TOS say that we politely attack the idea -not the poster..
Also keep in mind that we do have an ignore function here if you just can't manage to be polite to one another.

A blessed good night to each of you.. This thread is now reopened

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-29-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes. Thank you for actually quoting me. Now, everyone can see exactly what I did and did not say. By the way, I would strongly suggest that you not attempt to read anything into what I say in the future.
Or what ....

Quote:
I don't expect you to understand, twin.spin. You need to want to in order to be able to. It is perfection indeed, but only by virtue of the fact that we are finite beings who are in need of a Savior, while He is infinite and perfect and able to do for us what none of us can do for ourselves. His perfection covers all of our sins.
More word charades - it's not perfection.

Quote:
By the way, you avoided answering the question I posed to you. I do notice things like that. I intend to continue to repeat it until you respond. I said:
Keep on trying. You can't get around Romans 4, Galations 3 and Jesus' answer to "what must I do to be saved" goes against works and faith

Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Jesus did not speak English, and the new testament was not originally written in English. So you are wrong, Jesus did not say "never" in Mar 3:29 ...

Here are the actual words of the original text, in the original Koine Greek Language, translated into English word for word....
Nor did he speak Koine Greek ... more word charades.

Get over it. You're on the losing side of this one.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Nor did he speak Koine Greek ... more word charades.

Get over it. You're on the losing side of this one.
Christ did speak Koine Greek, and Aramaic, and Hebrew ... All these languages were spoken in the time of Christ in that part of the world. In order for Christ to have spoken to the Roman Soldiers, he would have had to have spoken in Koine Greek.

But that is not the point, the point is that the original language in which the New testament scriptures where written was Koine Greek.

No sir, you are on the losing side of this one. You simply refuse to accept the fact that the bible translations you refer to in order to make your argument mistranslate that verse.

And i have proven it, but you choose to ignore the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity